cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Diamond Shield removal

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, new to the site and thank you for having us. We have Diamond Shield mask on our coach and would like to have it removed and replaced with new. Anyone know of a place around Akron Ohio that does this service?
Thank you, Barney
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net
28 REPLIES 28

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
I had the 3M **** removed from my coach because of mold and it looked terrible in 2008. Had the coach full body painted and right now it looks new and shiny, yes I have a few dings but getting them touched up is way cheaper than diamond shield. Too each his own, I prefer the shiny look as opposed to scratched plastic.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Before
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
This is how it currently looks

Before

2008 Fleetwood Discovery

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
This is after
Before
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ours looked brand new until we spent one long winter, actually April to November in Alabama, Georgia and Florida. The heat and humidity really does a number on the Diamond Shield/3M stuff. We developed s couple small moldy looking spots under the shield the next year and this year it's done! I intend to have it removed and redone once we get back to Arizona.....I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after pictures....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Pinky wrote:
After I finished with the removal of the old film and finished the clean-up, I used a good rubbing compound and a couple coats of good canuba? wax. It looks better than new.

It looks better than new because you had Diamond Shield protecting it. Let us know how it looks after 4-5 years. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished doing mine myself. It looked terrible the way It was, like an alligator's hide. It took me about 12 hrs. to do mine as I had to work on it for about an hour (until I started losing my cool) and take a break, then go back. It is very slow and tedious work and the adhesive is like removing heavy-bodied snot. I found an adhesive remover spray at the local Ace Hardware that worked fairly well. I couldn't justify paying $150.00 for a gallon of the Ugly Juice from the company in Fla.
After I finished with the removal of the old film and finished the clean-up, I used a good rubbing compound and a couple coats of good canuba? wax. It looks better than new.
I will never buy another coach with Diamond Shield on it. This is the second time it has gone bad on my coach.
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were considering purchasing a motorhome that needed this work done and I had a couple of conversations with the folks at Ugly Shield Removal in Fort Myers, FL and they seem to be a top notch outfit. If we had purchased that motorhome, I was going to schedule an appointment for this winter when we escape to Florida.
I recommend that you give them a call, and if you can send them pictures of your rig, they can give you a better estimate on the cost to remove the shield.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Alex from Diamond Shield just left and the front of my coach looks new! I wish I knew how to post pictures on here I would post before and after shots.
Again two thumbs up for Diamond Shield. The new film they put on now has a lifetime warranty so I definitely endorse them and would strongly suggest if you are purchasing a new or even a nice used coach you have this done.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am happy to say that the installer from Diamond Shield called and will be at my home this week to do this job. Will post again when completed.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. I get the diamond shield protects the front of the coach from bugs, chips etc. But spending over 2K to remove and replace it? Would it not be cheaper just to repaint the front of the RV every so often? It can't cost much more than the diamond shield removal and replacement.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
I removed mine myself. Takes a bit of patience and a heat gun helps to soften it. Took me about 4 hrs. total.
Had it redone with a 3M product while we were in Palm Springs by a father and son car detailing team. Did a far better job than the original. paid them $1K.
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a nice article on having the 3M shield removed in Florida. Diamond Shield would be possible having it done there, also. Make an appointment and plan a fall/winter trip!

https://wheelingit.us/?s=diamond+shield

Note: Most of the people who have problems with their 3M or Diamond Shield live in the humid states. If a little bit of moisture gets under it will start to mold.

We had Diamond Shield on ours for 8 years until we sold it. It looked absolutely new.... even after an all-summer trip to Alaska. We did keep our MH clean and waxed so perhaps that helps. We always washed bugs off the front promptly. It was no effort doing so with the Diamond Shield.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
s N s wrote:
Wire Man wrote:
Update as of 8/1/2018 I have had no luck scheduling this job. Not very service friendly or Ohio is an abnormal state for Diamond Shield

As mentioned before go on YouTube and call up ugly shield removal. The company has great reviews of the works that they do and in just watching the videos you can see why. Wayne is very detailed in what they do and can help you if you're interested in doing it yourself. uglyshield removal.com 239-240-0793.

It's a project I have to take on myself in the very near future too. Good Luck!

I have watched it a few times, I unfortunately do not have the free time to tackle it myself so Diamond Shield is to come to my house to do it.
Good luck when you take on your own.
2008 Fleetwood Discovery