cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

80 PSI on Aluminum Wheels

Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm running 225/75/15 D rated tires on aluminum rims inflated to 65 psi. The only GY Endurance tires I find this size are E rated inflated to 80 psi. I do not know anything about these rims other than they are round aluminum objects.

Should I be concerned with airing up to 80 psi on these rims?

If I do go this route I will get metal valve stems.

Thanks
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
55 REPLIES 55

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from D to E on the last fifth wheel and aired those puppies up to 80 and never had a problem.

Luck of the draw i spose.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
I'm running 225/75/15 D rated tires on aluminum rims inflated to 65 psi. The only GY Endurance tires I find this size are E rated inflated to 80 psi. I do not know anything about these rims other than they are round aluminum objects.

Should I be concerned with airing up to 80 psi on these rims?

If I do go this route I will get metal valve stems.

Thanks

No concern, your rims will be fine with 80 psi.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
theczar wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but related. I just replaced my LRE with LRG tires. The Max pressure on the E's are 80 and the G's 110. The Rims do support the pressure. The Labe from the manufacturer state 80PSI based on the E tires. Do I inflate to 110PSI with the new tires or a little lower?

My concern is at 110PSI the tires will be very stiff and it would cause more bounce in the trailer while towing, is that valid? I know at a lower pressure capacity is reduced and more heat buildup may occur. Anyone out there who has upgraded to G's, what do you do and what if anything have you noticed?

Know your weights, use the chart and add 5spi. MOST likely you will be running 85psi. I did so and ran the "G" tires for thousands of miles with perfect tread wear and good ride.

Others will say MAX psi but in IMHO are full or BarbaraStreisand! :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to hijack the thread but related. I just replaced my LRE with LRG tires. The Max pressure on the E's are 80 and the G's 110. The Rims do support the pressure. The Labe from the manufacturer state 80PSI based on the E tires. Do I inflate to 110PSI with the new tires or a little lower?

My concern is at 110PSI the tires will be very stiff and it would cause more bounce in the trailer while towing, is that valid? I know at a lower pressure capacity is reduced and more heat buildup may occur. Anyone out there who has upgraded to G's, what do you do and what if anything have you noticed?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
According to the GY chart I would only need 40 psi in my tires since my 5er only has 7200+/- lbs on the tires. Divide by 4 thats 1825 lbs on each. 40 psi gives my 225/75/15 tires 1880 lbs.

Assuming my left side tires are carrying 700 lbs more than the right side. Using those tables and adding 5 PSI would still allow me to run the 235/80R16E's on my 5er at 60 PSI. Not likely. I have never had a wear problem running 80 PSI and always end up changing tires because of age, not wear.

Agree. I run 70 psi in my Carlisle HD E rated 225/75/15 tires.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
According to the GY chart I would only need 40 psi in my tires since my 5er only has 7200+/- lbs on the tires. Divide by 4 thats 1825 lbs on each. 40 psi gives my 225/75/15 tires 1880 lbs.

Assuming my left side tires are carrying 700 lbs more than the right side. Using those tables and adding 5 PSI would still allow me to run the 235/80R16E's on my 5er at 60 PSI. Not likely. I have never had a wear problem running 80 PSI and always end up changing tires because of age, not wear.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
If you read the charts, these are "Tire Load Limits", not recommended pressures.

Goodyear Endurance

The left side tires on my 5er are carrying a good 800 lbs more than the right side, so I am not about to just divide my trailer weight by four and set pressures for the max tire load rating at that weight with no surplus load capacity.

Per GY Tech they say to weigh each tire if possible and use the heaviest weight on the axle and add 5psi to what the weight/inflation chart says. This if their recommendation if using the charts for upping the load range from lets say "C" to "D".

Thats for motorhomes and trucks ,most tire load tables I have seen also have this statement at the end /back in fine print "however in applications where axles are closely spaced i.e. trailers with mulitable axles use maximum sidewall pressure .
If its a trailer don't waste your time looking at the table' look for the fine print.

As I said per GY Tech when upping load range do as I said above. I guess the Load/Inflation charts are for nothing as the tires say "For Trailer Use Only".

So a GY tire changer is your expert ? Read the documents ,ya max sidewall , no point in wasting time looking along the charts for your 'line'.Thats what you did eh? most people do instead of reading the whole thing , just trying to save some one else the time.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
hone eagle wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
If you read the charts, these are "Tire Load Limits", not recommended pressures.

Goodyear Endurance

The left side tires on my 5er are carrying a good 800 lbs more than the right side, so I am not about to just divide my trailer weight by four and set pressures for the max tire load rating at that weight with no surplus load capacity.

Per GY Tech they say to weigh each tire if possible and use the heaviest weight on the axle and add 5psi to what the weight/inflation chart says. This if their recommendation if using the charts for upping the load range from lets say "C" to "D".

Thats for motorhomes and trucks ,most tire load tables I have seen also have this statement at the end /back in fine print "however in applications where axles are closely spaced i.e. trailers with mulitable axles use maximum sidewall pressure .
If its a trailer don't waste your time looking at the table' look for the fine print.

As I said per GY Tech when upping load range do as I said above. I guess the Load/Inflation charts are for nothing as the tires say "For Trailer Use Only".
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
special considerations

Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

**Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.**

Every Goodyear tire tech 1-800 and email and Good=year truck tire dealer I delt with since the late '60s has said to use the tires max sidewall pressures for all my working trialers. Works for my RV trailers also.

Tireman9 rvtiresafety blog does a excellent job explaining why tires used in a trailer position needs max pressures.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Overinflating can reduce traction, braking ability and handling, as well as result in uneven wear and an uncomfortable ride...The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs...See load inflation charts...actual air pressure required should be determined based on the actual load on each individual tire.

Inflation pressure should be adjusted to handle the tire carrying the heaviest load, and all tires on the axle should be adjusted to this pressure.
- Goodyear Tire Care Guide (emphasis added)

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:

Goodyear Endurance

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:

Goodyear Endurance

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer

Goodyear Endurance

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS