cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Places in Alaska???

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Different strokes for different folks but thought it would be interesting to see what your 3 or 4 favorite places (or least favorite) in Alaska are. Some go for the scenery, some for fishing, whatever, your replies should prove interesting and helpful to those that are planning trips to Alaska. For me the top places I have visited in Alaska would have to be Valdez (including Prince William Sound excursion), Homer (including the Kenai Peninsula), Kennicot (Wrangell-St Elias Nat Park, and Skagway/Haines areas.
20 REPLIES 20

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
1] Alaska
2] Alaska
3] Alaska
4] Alaska

In that order.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
Towns: Sitka (by far the best for us), Valdez, Homer.
Campsite: Boondocking on the Denali Highway as shown in my signature.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
In no particular order:

Ninilchik/Deep Creek Beach SP, for the eagles up close & spectacular sunsets.
Teklaneka CG.
Chicken, for Chicken Stock music festival.
Seward, for the killer view across the bay.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
harley4275 wrote:
south of Denali at Willow,turn east on Fishhook road (I think that is the name). It ends at Palmer or Wasilla,turns to stone rd but good. Lots of places to just park and camp and the views are astounding.

It is marked Hatchers Pass road on the Willow end, on the descent after the Independence mine park area you can go to either Palmer or Wasilla depending which Fishhook road you choose. Plenty of free camping on the Willow side of the Pass, the other side is controlled by the Park service for day parking.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
south of Denali at Willow,turn east on Fishhook road (I think that is the name). It ends at Palmer or Wasilla,turns to stone rd but good. Lots of places to just park and camp and the views are astounding.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned earlier that Valdez is one of my favorite places in Alaska, but New Valdez is now a scenic, mature, 50 year-old town in a completely different location than Old Valdez. My first trip there was only 8 years after the 1964 Earthquake. A few parts of Old Valdez still existed while the Valdez we see today was still under construction. And back then most of the old city blocks were covered with stacks of 48" steel pipe for the planned, but not-yet-built, Alyeska pipeline.

When I recently returned to Valdez, I drove all the old city streets that are still open to the public and read the information signs about the earthquake. But most RVers who visit there probably don't even think about the old town or its demise. In fact, many probably weren't born when it occurred, so 1964 isn't even a memory for them. But it is sobering to drive those old streets and realize that the wreck of the Exxon Valdez wasn't even of the same "magnitude" as the damage and death caused by the earthquake.

It's now hard to find evidence of the earthquake in other heavily damaged places like Seward, Whittier, and the Turnagain Heights area of Anchorage, but Old Valdez is still there for those who look for it. And you won't find many other towns in the US that were so successfully moved to a completely new location after a natural disaster!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
mike-uswest wrote:
Soldatna,
Valdez,
Homer spit,
Denali,
Any place fish are running.

Mike

It's Soldotna, not Soldatna -- please don't start that argument all over again! It was fought and won years ago.

Sorry, my fingers have a mind of their own. They are wrong more than I am, and that is getting bad anymore.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you can be in Skagway when no cruise ships are there it's a great place to explore. Agreed with the above post that driving to the Chilkoot Trail is a must and try walking it if only for a very short distance. You'll have a better understanding of what they went through.

The drive to Valdez is awesome and again, seek out the parts of town that tourists rarely see.

We enjoy the drive to Homer and Seward - but not on the weekend! Alaskans are campers/fisherpersons, too, and that road is packed and dangerous on the weekend and holidays.

Denali National Park and Teklanika campground, in particular, are real jewels. We spent 10 nights in the park our last trip.

Alaska is amazing but don't forget about exploring Canada and the Yukon, too. Some places are even more beautiful than Alaska.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting to see the different opinions and great to see all of them. Found it interesting after the cruise ships left how these towns change. For me the drive into Skagway and the scenery in the Haines/Skagway areas was pretty spectacular. The short drive from Skagway to the head of the Chilkoot Trail was interesting and one can actually enjoy a nice dinner in the evening after the cruise ships depart with local entertainment as a nice surprise. Valdez and the drive into Valdez was unexpected, just wow. Did the Denali Hwy #8 and found the views of the Alaska Range were mostly unobstructed by trees, with the potholes one must take your time but then why not. Alaska is an alluring place.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Kodiak Island (Fossil Beach is VERY cool)
Afognak Island (for the fishing)
Talkeetna (cool town plus a great place for river jet-boating)
Kenai Peninsula (very pretty plus things to do)
Homer Spit (because it's the Homer Spit!)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-uswest wrote:
Soldatna,
Valdez,
Homer spit,
Denali,

Mike

It's Soldotna, not Soldatna -- please don't start that argument all over again! It was fought and won years ago.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE-C-USA wrote:
We've only been once, that as in 07. All of AK we saw was great. There's only one place, when we go back,on the 'NO GO' list.. Skagway.

Hmmm, Skagway is by far my favorite place in Alaska. Was born and raised on the Kenai and had never been to Skagway until my return visit in 2014, now it's always a planned stop for me traveling by road or ship. The town really turns out for the 4th of July and I've been there for two of those celebrations.

One place that's another favorite of mine is actually at the border on the Yukon side. The old gentleman who runs the Yukon Tourist Center in Beaver Creek has built a private museum containing things he's collected over the past 50 years dealing with life in Alaska and the Yukon and the building of the Alaska Highway. His name is Sid, and if you run into him at the Tourist Center you might ask if you can visit his museum. It's located only a few blocks away from the Center and well worth the hours you can spend there. He's also an old car buff and rebuilds cars in his spare time.

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Soldatna,
Valdez,
Homer spit,
Denali,

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
We've only been once, that as in 07. All of AK we saw was great. There's only one place, when we go back,on the 'NO GO' list.. Skagway.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS