cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Guesswork Different Banks Different Tipos de Cambios

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about first edition post. Banamex had a huge glitch since rectified.

http://dolarenmexico.com/conversor-dolares-a-pesos.php

Note the App download at top right

http://www.eldolar.info/es-MX/mexico/dia/hoy
56 REPLIES 56

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your tripita!

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
And dang, those are the best hot dogs and tacos ever!

It´s almost laughable because in the Winter, snowbirds flock to the Chinese palaces (for example in the RGV) and the Chinese restaurants always have the worst sanitation and inspection reports.

This post just made me want to get cleaned up and stop at a taco stand on the way to the convention center in Monterrey. It´s an exhibition of all the 72 pueblos mágicos! We´re planning our Christmas trip.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
OK: I stayed out of the discussion on education but when I read statements about great hygiene practices I cannot remain silent. I see the hot dog carts being towed behind old cars and trucks whenever we are in HMO. The cart is not covered. It is stored in the owner's backyard where dogs, cats and rats roam!. All carts are supposed to have water and washing facilities. The ones that are in highly visible spots or near Government offices do have washing facilities. Others are beat up filthy carts. The Hotdogero takes a dirty old rag and wipes it down. Every few months a troop of inspectors go out and shut down hundreds of carts. The newspaper writes an article and prints some stock photos. A week later nothing has changed. Taco stands are even worse. Garbage and food waste sits in an open barrel surrounded by flies. Of course most decent restaurants are clean and modern but not little outside food vendors. There are food trucks in HMO that enter competitions in Mexico and the USA. They are custom built and amazing.

Moisheh

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired restaurateur I always peek in kitchens etc. I was amazed at the first class equipment in even the smallest of establishments. Point of Sale (POS) systems really surprised me. Sophisticated systems not only in places like Guad but in 1 horse seaside villages.

Oh, and the hygiene practices are amazingly good even down to a taco cart.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Indigenous bilingual programs have been around since the 1920s. I have worked with teachers and students in Oaxaca, San Luis Potosi and Veracruz as well as here in Monterrey, who have studied in these bilingual programs since I started teaching with the SEP in 1990. This includes; Otomí, Huasteco, Zapoteco, Mixteco, to name a few, and now Korean accommodating children of the thousand or so families who are now working in Nuevo Leon.

In 1925, the first Casa del Estudiante Indígena

In 1934, the creation of the Dept. of Indigenous Culture and Education

In 1939, Project Tarasco which helped to design the first indirect method of teaching SSL (Spanish as a second language)

Part of my studies here included the history of Mexican bilingualism.

You can still see those large satellite dishes on top of rural schools. That had it's start in 1968 with what are called TeleSecundarias where there were tutors instead of teachers and classes transmitted by televisión.

Mexico has a long history of bilingualism and technology in the classroom.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico and Mexicans adopt technology and medical procedures a lot faster than the USA, even the campesino has access to the tecnology, the Secretaria de Educacion is implementing a program for the idigenous people where they will teach the children in their native language first, then as a second language Spanish and third language English.

Before leaving for the USA I gave classes in English at a Preparatoria from the Instituto Plitecnico Nacional, at that time there were 6 electronic microscopes in the world, extraordinarlly expensive, one in the USA, one in France, one in Germany and Mexico had the other 3 at the Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Scientist from all over Europe and the States requested time slots to use the scopes, and were granted time, they were happy to have the use of the machine even if it was at 02:00 Sunday morning, they did not have to go though the paperwork and time consuming permits of some Governments and months waiting for a time slot.

There are alot of people that think that Mexico is a third World country, they do things a little different but it is in some aspects a lot more advanced than some first world countries, Mexico had the first vertical high speed steel oven in the Americas the other two were in Sweden and Germany.

The immage of the indio taking a nap against the cactus under the sombrerro and zarape is a Hollywood mith, Mexico is very ancient and very modern at the same time, travell to Mexico, engoy the scenery, the food, the culture, the people.

Asi los dejo, me esperan unos tamales para el desayuno
(I leave you now, there are some tamales waiting for me for breakfast)

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed all the Ricos with their cell phones scanning goods at Costco. Mexico has gone from a country where less than 30% of the homes had phones to where almost everyone has a cell phone. Even in the little villages they all have phones. The phones are cheap and the service costs have gone way down. for 100P I get 21 days of service. Includes unlimited calls, texts and 300mb of data. You can call to and from any of the 3 countries. I find that there are lots of dead zones in AZ. I buy extra data and it is inexpensive. I bought a no name Lanix big screen. I forget the exact cost but around $1600P.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Wow!!!!!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
They now have Buen Fin call centers by municipality and state. You call and ask for the brand and model number of the product and they will tell you who has it at the lowest price.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
SR. Moisheh: Even Citibanamex is getting in with one payment off what ever is purchased during the Beun Fin.

I have always had zero tolerance for drug users, never done drugs in my life, saw the first Mariguana plant at the evidence lab when I worked for the City of Chula Vista, I am a firm believer of the 357 law, shoot all the narcos and dealers, I will gladlly pay for the bullets! but I swore an Oath to uphold and defend the Constitution and to serve the comunity so no narco shooting! Dang!

May the force be with you.

navegator

Talleyho69
We left the moho to shop this morning at 8:15, and didn't get back until 3. Final count, for today? 3 refrigerators, 1 stove, 1 washing machine, 3 mattresses, 2 water heaters, 1 TV, 4 light fixtures, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Back tomorrow for more things. (AC, microwaves, sheets, towels......) Best prices here in Zihuatanejo were at Comercial.
Buen Fin ends on Sunday.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Navegator. I tried 2 nites with just Supridol but am about to give my soul back to the Devil. No wonder I did a lot of bad things in my youth but drugs was never one of them. Peyote was a favorite of Cheech and Chong! BTW: Anyone looking for a major appliance today was the beginning of Buen Fin, Mexico's answer to Black Friday. Ends sometime next week. Costco was a zoo today. Fridges stacked up all over the store. I saw some excellent prices.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
The doctor's ALWAYS have the good stuff!!

Yes, we are moving here permanently. No, haven't had a chance to open a bank account yet, or even breathe. We arrived here Sunday noon after driving for 10 days. Need to live in the moho for a while until the house is habitable and dog safe. The work is screaming along at an amazing rate, and we are completely exhausted and happy.

Consequently, we are hitting the ATM daily. Today at Santander, with the fee included, our 7,000p had a rate of 19.02 to the US dollar.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You are absolutelly right OXYCODONE is the devils drug, as soon as you can take what is left to the nearest Police Station, do not flush it dow the drain.

I hope that the pain goes down real fast, best wishes on your recovery, I would send you some peyote buds or some mushrooms, but I just came out of surgery a little over a week ago, I think the anesthesiologist has the goodies and he did not share, best of wishes.

navegator