cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? Concrete Pad Question

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
How thick a concrete floor/pad is needed to park a 14K 5er?
Not looking to get into arguing over whatever the detailed engineering specifics are. Just want a general idea how much concrete I'll be buying if I decide to concrete the barn floor.
44 REPLIES 44

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
In his first post the OP said

Not looking to get into arguing over whatever the detailed engineering specifics are. Just want a general idea how much concrete I'll be buying if I decide to concrete the barn floor.

About halfway down the second page the OP posted

Got what I need for now -- Thanks all!

Ans yet the argument that the OP specifically wanted to avoid went on for 5 pages. It must be winter.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
bid_time wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:
I am a concrete guy of 30 plus years... make sure it is straight cement content. NO FLY ASH ...
Really, no Flyash? Maybe you can tell me why that is seeing that every professional organization such as ACI, ASCE, FHA, ACPA, all recommend a minimum of 15% flyash and preferably 25%. And before you comment, maybe you should look up ASR (Alkali-Silica Reactivity). And we won't even talk about GGBFS which is also used at up to 40% cement replacement.

No fly ash because this is rvnet. The land of ex-experts who don't know what they're talking about....

I'm in trouble! I've placed probably a half million yards of concrete in bridges, roadways, water tanks and treatment structures and dams, all with fly ash or slag or other pozzolans. C rap. I've been doing it wrong. Can't believe I believed all those specifications and my grad level concrete structures and mix design courses!

Thanks Grit dog, you made my entire day with that post.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
I am now in the process of erecting a new building. A combination RV storage and work shop.

I had a 5" floor poured for my 10,500 lb 5er.

Good choice! Did you remember to put the in-floor radiant water based heating in that? Maybe, Kansas doesn't warrant the installation of floor heating but there is a big difference in comfort if you work on that floor every day.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
ivylog wrote:
Glad you know so much. Last week I had a 12 yard concrete truck put the front tires on 48 hours old concrete...it was a front loader truck. 3000 psi concrete means when fully cured it will support 3,000 lbs / square inch. In 48 hours it's 25% cured. Do the math for a tire with 120 psi in it. In 5 days it's 35-40% cured.
I started to tell the OP 2 days but said 5 in hopes someone who has never poured concrete would not spout off.
PS: TT tires have closer to 60 psi in them. In the last 60 days I have pour aprox 50 yards

Not sure what the PSI in the tire as to do with it. Are you saying a loaded Concrete truck puts the same pressure on the concrete as an unloaded one because the tire PSI is the same? So a 4000 lb TT will have same effect as a 14,000 lb 5th wheeler as long as the tire pressure is the same? I think not.

All I suggested was that the OP do a google search for concrete cure rates and recommendations for driving on it. You try that and see how many people think it is wise to do as you said.

If it is my money I would err on the side of caution. You can do as you please.

I think what he is saying is that each tire has roughly a 36 square inch contact patch so a 14K fifth wheel has approx 11 thousand pound supported by 144 sq inches if you do the math, it comes up to 76 pounds per square inch. A typical 4โ€ slab is usually 3-3500 pounds per square inch weight limit. A 14k fifth wheel wonโ€™t even make it breathe hard.

My fifth wheel sits on a 4โ€ slab with expansion joints. I used just reinforced concrete with no rebar. No cracks in 10 years. Thatโ€™s pretty much standard here with our hard clay soil. However, I agree with you that due to crappy tension strength of concrete, you should wait before driving a heavy load on it.

On crappy soil/base it really doesnโ€™t matter how long you wait. It will still crack without structural reinforcement.

Mark
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I am now in the process of erecting a new building. A combination RV storage and work shop.

I had a 5" floor poured for my 10,500 lb 5er.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
...This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose...
I couldn't agree more!

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
ivylog wrote:
Glad you know so much. Last week I had a 12 yard concrete truck put the front tires on 48 hours old concrete...it was a front loader truck. 3000 psi concrete means when fully cured it will support 3,000 lbs / square inch. In 48 hours it's 25% cured. Do the math for a tire with 120 psi in it. In 5 days it's 35-40% cured.
I started to tell the OP 2 days but said 5 in hopes someone who has never poured concrete would not spout off.
PS: TT tires have closer to 60 psi in them. In the last 60 days I have pour aprox 50 yards

Not sure what the PSI in the tire as to do with it. Are you saying a loaded Concrete truck puts the same pressure on the concrete as an unloaded one because the tire PSI is the same? So a 4000 lb TT will have same effect as a 14,000 lb 5th wheeler as long as the tire pressure is the same? I think not.

All I suggested was that the OP do a google search for concrete cure rates and recommendations for driving on it. You try that and see how many people think it is wise to do as you said.

If it is my money I would err on the side of caution. You can do as you please.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" Last week I had a 12 yard concrete truck put the front tires on 48 hours old concrete...it was a front loader truck."

Are you talking RiteWay with the chute on the front? Personally never heard of a 12 yard mixer in that configuration!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog, the Romans used much the same and it's still in good shape 2,000+ years later. Modern day concrete will not last 100 years.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bid_time wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:
I am a concrete guy of 30 plus years... make sure it is straight cement content. NO FLY ASH ...
Really, no Flyash? Maybe you can tell me why that is seeing that every professional organization such as ACI, ASCE, FHA, ACPA, all recommend a minimum of 15% flyash and preferably 25%. And before you comment, maybe you should look up ASR (Alkali-Silica Reactivity). And we won't even talk about GGBFS which is also used at up to 40% cement replacement.

No fly ash because this is rvnet. The land of ex-experts who don't know what they're talking about....

I'm in trouble! I've placed probably a half million yards of concrete in bridges, roadways, water tanks and treatment structures and dams, all with fly ash or slag or other pozzolans. C rap. I've been doing it wrong. Can't believe I believed all those specifications and my grad level concrete structures and mix design courses!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
larry barnhart wrote:
I did our extension on the side of our driveway in 1998 doing 5" of concrete and 1/2" rebar at 20" square. I ran an 36 " pattern roller over for a design and saw cut at 9ft on the straight line from the roller. No cracks but last winter something happened that I can't explain. On one area the concrete had a dark look and has flaked in that area. I cured it as good as can be done. No idea what was the reason.

chevman

Surface spalls on wet finished surfaces (slabs) is caused primarily by a few things or combinations of them.
Too much water used as a finishing aid.
Freeze thaw cycling (exaggerated by ^)
Chlorides deteriorating the surface. (Salt/de icers)

Has very little to do with curing methods.
If the concrete is new(er), it was likely too much water during floating or troweling.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I did our extension on the side of our driveway in 1998 doing 5" of concrete and 1/2" rebar at 20" square. I ran an 36 " pattern roller over for a design and saw cut at 9ft on the straight line from the roller. No cracks but last winter something happened that I can't explain. On one area the concrete had a dark look and has flaked in that area. I cured it as good as can be done. No idea what was the reason.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
8 inches down the center drive on area 6 on non weight area

For a RV???

Thats what I was thinking. I have had two RV pads on two different homes here in Utah, so there is the freezing issue. Both pads were poured with 6 bag , and the standard 2x4 forming.

The first one in the late seventies did get some cracks, but held up well otherwise. The problem back then it seemed we just poured , with not enough expansion . My first one was 15 feet wide one expansion joint down the center, okay there ,but it was like around 50 feet long, with expansion joints around every 12 feet. Not enough, it has to expand.

My present RV pad is 80 feet from street to back of the house . Only 11 feet wide , expansion up the center ,and every 6 feet or so the length of it. So 5*1/2 x 6 foot sections. No cracks, other then where it cracked in the expansions. going on 18 years ,looks as good as it did new. Has had a 38' foot fifth wheel on it for the past 10 years. To add this driveway ,and RV pad was poured with fiber mess. No rebar.

I poured mine 3.5" thick with wire mesh and 6 sack mix 20 years ago and it still looks great. My Current RV ONLY weighs 23K.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
riven1950 wrote:
Ivylog, Glad you are not doing my driveway. No way I would spend that kind of money and then park a 14K fiver on it after 5 days.

Glad you know so much. Last week I had a 12 yard concrete truck put the front tires on 48 hours old concrete...it was a front loader truck. 3000 psi concrete means when fully cured it will support 3,000 lbs / square inch. In 48 hours it's 25% cured. Do the math for a tire with 120 psi in it.:S In 5 days it's 35-40% cured.
PS: TT tires have closer to 60 psi in them. In the last 60 days I have pour aprox 50 yards.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...