cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback standard motor.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Any opinions from any Focus towers out there. How do you like the car? Any issues with towing it?
Jayco-noslide
9 REPLIES 9

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2013 titanium tows great,I disconnect the POS cable use short wrench be careful.

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
Towed my 2013 Titanium HB with Select Shift since new. Make sure you wait for the 'Transmission Ready' display. May take a few seconds as you are waiting to move two gear shafts. I, as many others, put a short cable from the Neg batt to a switch with stock cable to other side. Good small toad. For aux brakes I use a jump and carry to power them. Just started to pull my '17 Edge last week.

jim

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I've heard about the auto with problems but is it with all years or just some. I would be looking for 2015 thru 2017 used.

They all use the same twin through shaft transmissions and servo clutch so cannot answer that either. It's a electronic issue concerning clutch engagement (it's an automatic with no torque converter but rather a twin plate dry clutch, electronically controlled), why I went with the standard 5 speed and single plate hydraulically activated clutch (on my BIL's recomendation), but then, I prefer a standard transmission anyway.

I will say that I bought mine used, off Red Carpet Lease, from a Ford Dealer and specifically looked for a standard transmission which, actually depreciates more from new because people today want an auto. I got mine off lease with under 23K miles for less than half sticker (11 OTD stickered for 24K). Still under factory warranty and added on the Ford extended warranty an additional 5 years and 80K miles.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
The RS isn't flat towable.

I don't know on that. Cannot afford the insurance on one anyway.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard about the auto with problems but is it with all years or just some. I would be looking for 2015 thru 2017 used.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The RS isn't flat towable.
Jayco-noslide

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
A little note on them... My BIL is a design engineer at Fords so needless to say we are a Ford family. I was forewarned about the 'auto' trans when I bought my 2014 SE. They all seem to develop engagement issues, it's really 2 standard transmissions coupled together with a twin plate dry servo actuated clutch and they tend to get wonky after a while,. why, I bought a 5 speed in the first place. and...

The only difference between the Titanium and the SE is the trim level and rear disc brakes (SE has rear drums) and park assist. Engines are the same, power is the same. Actually plenty of power to spare... I can almost hit triple digits on an on ramp, pretty impressive for an economy car...

Economy wise, how about 39 average mpg.

If you want a go fast toad get an RS with 300 ponies on tap and a 6 speed box.
2015 Backpack SS1500

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Focus SE, auto transmission. Bought used from dealer demo fleet. Had the transmission shifting issues and fixed under warranty. No other problems. Put in neutral, wait for the ready message, disconnect battery, remove key and depart. Like driving it. Usual small car road noise but not terrible. Plenty of zip when you want to scoot out.

Installed the Blue Ox base plate myself, toughest part was drilling the 1 1/4 inch holes in the frame/bumper to install the nuts on mounting the bolts. And getting the lard butt up off the floor.

Put a disconnect switch on the negative post as Ford requires disconnecting the negative cable.

Used the NSA Ready Brute Elite tow bar. I like it as no need to run a charge wire to keep a brake unit powered. The toughest part was running the braking cable getting under the car.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
None and None. I have a 2014 SE Hatch with a 5 speed and no issues at all. Gets excellent mileage as well. I do just under 40.

You can flat tow the manual with no issue (provided you do know how to shift a manual box)....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500