Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Generator in the mix
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Generator in the mix

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
kerrlakeRoo

Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/17 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been watching Home Depot for a while for a cheap price on a champion genny with remote start and saw another one today that made me pause. It's a Ryobi RY123000BTA. Its another copy of the Honda 2000 but had a couple of minor changes of interest.
First, instead of the Honda 2000 starting watts and 1600 running, its 2300 starting, 1800 running. I know some folks have talked about soft start conversions etc, but has anyone checked specifically what the energy requirements are, and will these couple hundred more make a difference?
Also this unit has a bluetooth control app for your smartphone, It wont start the unit , but will shut it down and tell you fuel level etc from your phone.
Also it has a 3 year warranty.
They are listing it for $599 which does seem interesting. Anybody have one?

EDIT I had this in general rving. is there a problem with starting threads from android tablets? Please move.

rjxj

Over there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/17 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter which brand if I was buying down in that size range I'd plan on installing a $300 microair in the AC unit. If you put that $300 toward a larger inverter you can get remote start and it should start the AC. It depends on how you use it but remote is handy and wife can participate.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/17 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Honda has tremndous surge capacity. Well in excess of its rating. It rated to do it for a short time.
I had voltage and current monitors on my last TT and several times cought my wife pulling 16 amps or more out of it. It always seemed to have more to give. I think that's the difference between the Honda and all the others.
Still, I think there are better choices.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/17 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon has reviews on the Ryobi 2200, which I would recommend people read before buying. The reviews on the 2300 are all bad due to price gouging by the seller.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/17 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ryobi makes good power tools but be apprised, they are Chinese but then they all are now anyway...lol

Guess so long as it isn't N. Korean, it's good to go...

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis

Lonepine, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/17 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ryobi you mentioned is one decimal louder but has 100 more in starting watts than my Westinghouse but it’s 10 pounds heavier. $479 at Home Depot. WH2200. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-2200-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-with-Parallel-Capabilities-WH2200iXLT/205746116

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

Redwoodcamper

The real norcal

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/17 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Ryobi 2200. Only about 20 hrs on it. Trouble free. Starts right up and works great for the money. Glad I didn't spend twice as much for similar performance.

2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

rjxj

Over there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/17 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redwoodcamper wrote:

I have the Ryobi 2200. Only about 20 hrs on it. Trouble free. Starts right up and works great for the money. Glad I didn't spend twice as much for similar performance.

Will it run the AC?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have purchased some other Roybi stuff and no complaints.

That genny sounds... Interesting.. Wish I had the cash because I'd like a 'Battery charger" generator (one just slightly bigger than my Converter)

Low fuel consumption.. (WOuld pay for it) over my ONAN. Low noise. and usable "Away" from the RV. all benefits.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/17 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

The Honda has tremndous surge capacity. Well in excess of its rating. It rated to do it for a short time.

That "short time" being 30 minutes as officially rated by Honda ... IIRC surge rating for the similar Yamaha EF2000iS is just 20 seconds. No doubt the difference is largely attributed to the Honda having a 20% larger engine.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Generator in the mix
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS