cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Ecoboost to 6.2L Economy

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Time for a new truck. I'm looking at a F350 4x4 crew long bed with the 6.2l. I got really spoiled to mid 16's mpg cty/hwy mixed on the F150 for my commute. So come on...I can take it. How much of a hit will I take on economy?
115 REPLIES 115

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
That about sums up my sentiments. But you drive what you can afford.

GadgetmanUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I hesitated to post because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings but maybe it will help somebody that's making a truck buying decision. In 2007 I purchased a 3/4 ton Duramax/Allison truck. Owned it for ten years and sold it(fantastic resale value).It pulled like a dream. I then was in the market for another truck and since we downsized to a smaller trailer I didn't think I needed a diesel. I test drove a F250 with the 6.2 liter engine. I thought it was a dog,no way I'd buy that. I bought a F150 3.5 Ecoboost and while it pulls great the 1/2 ton gets blown around when it's windy while towing. My next truck will be a 3/4 ton diesel for sure.
2016 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost,Max Tow,LT tires.
2018 Forest River Ultra Lite 2604ws
BluOx 1500lb bars.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:

Post both word for word then, it's not the same. The 6.2 makes more hp on reg for the years discussed. Your games don't change that.

If Ford's claimed ratings are at sea level then by 1400 feet, the EB produces more torque using the common formula of a 3% loss for NA and 1.2% for turbo per 1000 feet. What's your elevation?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Have to say I do not read it as the same. What I take from the two passages you posted is that the EB only needs premium fuel when towing or under severe duty usage.

But the 2017 250 and most likely the 350,450 and 550 trucks should be run on premium fuel all the time "for best results". That does not mean you have to use premium fuel but to achieve the best results from your truck you will need to run premium fuel.

Don

Nope, the meaning for the Ecoboost is the same as the 6.2L in the F250. In fact it states the exact same for all the new engines in the F150 and even my sisters new 2017 Explorer with the N/A 3.5L.

Post both word for word then, it's not the same. The 6.2 makes more hp on reg for the years discussed. Your games don't change that.

Post both word for word? Okay....

2017 Ford Explorer Owners Manual

Page 169 & 170

"For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The
performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer"

2017 F150 Owners Manual

Page 177 & 178

towing a trailer"

2017 Ford Superduty Owners manual

Page 185

as other conditions, for example when towing
a trailer."

2017 Ford Taurus Owners Manual

Page 144 & 145

towing a trailer."

2017 Edge Owners Manual

Page 163

towing a trailer."

2017 Ford Transit Owners Manual

Page 118

towing a trailer. "

I can assure it is no game. They really do say the same thing. And I don't care about what power the 6.2L made. I was just saying that Sam was right when he stated that the 6.2L dyno charts he posted was with premium fuel and that the Ecoboost does need to run premium even when towing unless you want more power since it(like many modern engines) can adjust timing and power output depending on the octane.

My wife's Infiniti FX35 does the the same except her manual recommend premium while also saying it can run on regular, but with less performance(power). Do you want me to post her owners manual too?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

Have to say I do not read it as the same. What I take from the two passages you posted is that the EB only needs premium fuel when towing or under severe duty usage.

But the 2017 250 and most likely the 350,450 and 550 trucks should be run on premium fuel all the time "for best results". That does not mean you have to use premium fuel but to achieve the best results from your truck you will need to run premium fuel.

Don

Nope, the meaning for the Ecoboost is the same as the 6.2L in the F250. In fact it states the exact same for all the new engines in the F150 and even my sisters new 2017 Explorer with the N/A 3.5L.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
It appears I did remember correctly....

Ford vs. GM: Twin-Turbo Showdown

"We should note Ford tells us that its power outputs improve
slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque
when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's
manual recommends."

Regular fuel = 365 hp / 420 lb-ft

Premium fuel = 385 hp / 430 lb-ft

Good lord, that was never the issue, it was the 6.2 that makes full hp on reg that was the debate.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

Don

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:

My F150 is almost 6000lbs. So yes, there is at least a 1000lb difference, maybe a little more? But I have contemplated that, too. I've towed with much more weight on the F150 than I did on my recent trip towing with the F250, including 4 more people and all of their carp...which I promise weighed more than 1000 lbs. This last trip was just me and one of our dogs.

Sounds to me like you may want to run down to the Ford dealer today and unload that F250, cut your losses. You're never going to be satisfied? You want the Powerstroke. Or an F250 with ecoboost that Ford does not offer, and most likely never will for a whole host of reasons. One of which is the Super Duty's are designed for construction companies and such. Companies that beat them to death daily towing equipment, and usually not paying any attention to specifications and capacities like youre supposed to do according to the weight police on forums, not the general public towing RV's.

Apples to Oranges and designed for two totally different markets and purposes.

From reading through this thread it leads me to believe you still have the F150? Have you parked one beside the other and crawled underneath, comparing the differences in everything under them, and some stuff not under them like the cooling arrangemets? The F250 is much more capable in the long run than any F150 no matter what's under the hood or in any max package.

I don't hate the F250 and don't mean to come off like I'm bashing it. Just makes me even more impressed with the EB. I understand what you are saying and that's exactly why I went with the F250 and why I'll stick with it. It's a safer truck that should last longer.
It's just not going to hold speed or gears as well when towing.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
Hybridhunter wrote:

Again, that was not what you originally said or posted......you keep "double speaking"......The EB recommends premium for heavy duty usage, it is not the same advisement or context as the 6.2 in the F250, which does not refer to usage, but to best performance, which all the recent owners manuals for the more recent generation of Ford powertrains suggest.

And to state the obvious, a 7000# truck does not perform as well as a 5000# truck with similar power......I never suggested it did either.

The EB manual says for best performance. I don't find where it says premium is required? Here is an excerpt: "Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow."

And here is an excerpt from the 2017 F250 manual: "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

They look like they are both saying the same thing to me.

My F150 is almost 6000lbs. So yes, there is at least a 1000lb difference, maybe a little more? But I haveeeds contemplated that, too. I've towed with much more weight on the F150 than I did on my recent trip towing with the F250, including 4 more people and all of their carp...which I promise weighed more than 1000 lbs. This last trip was just me and one of our dogs.

Don

Recommend is recommend. It is not required.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
aside from agreeing with Ralph, the video of the 6.2 pulling puzzled me. It appeared that i could see the tach on the left side. Also it appeared that the motor took forever to build rpm. I dare say that if I trounced my 6.2 it would be screaming in 1st and then jump into the succeeding gears and do the same thing. :h

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Samsonsworld wrote:

My F150 is almost 6000lbs. So yes, there is at least a 1000lb difference, maybe a little more? But I have contemplated that, too. I've towed with much more weight on the F150 than I did on my recent trip towing with the F250, including 4 more people and all of their carp...which I promise weighed more than 1000 lbs. This last trip was just me and one of our dogs.

Sounds to me like you may want to run down to the Ford dealer today and unload that F250, cut your losses. You're never going to be satisfied? You want the Powerstroke. Or an F250 with ecoboost that Ford does not offer, and most likely never will for a whole host of reasons. One of which is the Super Duty's are designed for construction companies and such. Companies that beat them to death daily towing equipment, and usually not paying any attention to specifications and capacities like youre supposed to do according to the weight police on forums, not the general public towing RV's.

Apples to Oranges and designed for two totally different markets and purposes.

From reading through this thread it leads me to believe you still have the F150? Have you parked one beside the other and crawled underneath, comparing the differences in everything under them, and some stuff not under them like the cooling arrangemets? The F250 is much more capable in the long run than any F150 no matter what's under the hood or in any max package.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
Hybridhunter wrote:

Again, that was not what you originally said or posted......you keep "double speaking"......The EB recommends premium for heavy duty usage, it is not the same advisement or context as the 6.2 in the F250, which does not refer to usage, but to best performance, which all the recent owners manuals for the more recent generation of Ford powertrains suggest.

And to state the obvious, a 7000# truck does not perform as well as a 5000# truck with similar power......I never suggested it did either.

The EB manual says for best performance. I don't find where it says premium is required? Here is an excerpt: "Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow."

And here is an excerpt from the 2017 F250 manual: "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

They look like they are both saying the same thing to me.

My F150 is almost 6000lbs. So yes, there is at least a 1000lb difference, maybe a little more? But I haveeeds contemplated that, too. I've towed with much more weight on the F150 than I did on my recent trip towing with the F250, including 4 more people and all of their carp...which I promise weighed more than 1000 lbs. This last trip was just me and one of our dogs.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Ecoboost did better in those tests.

2013 Ecobooost F150 towing 15k

2011 F350 6.2L towing 15k

Aside from the F150 suspension popping of course.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
A group of guys from FTE would have a annual trailer pull meet in Ohio and would pull a hill with a trailer loaded around 10k-15k pounds. If I remember correctly a Eco Boost and a 6.2 Super Duty would pull the load with similar performance. Both would clearly outperform the V10 2V without a doubt.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"