cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Vegan food in RGV

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
First time in the RGV. Does anyone know of stores that sell vegan foods?
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website
28 REPLIES 28

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
jdb7566 wrote:
Actually "vegan" is a loose Native American translation for "bad hunter".
good one!

Happy Prospector wrote:
All this grazing talk is making me decide to have a great BBQ'ed T-Bone steak tonight for dinner.Gooooooooooooooooo Red Meat.

JC2 wrote:
A big ole Tx Ribeye for me.

Very funny. Another name for a human carnivore is โ€œknuckle draggerโ€. But he who laughs last, laughs best!!! On average, veganโ€™s live longer and healthier lives!
My Website

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
A big ole Tx Ribeye for me.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
All this grazing talk is making me decide to have a great BBQ'ed T-Bone steak tonight for dinner.Gooooooooooooooooo Red Meat.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jdb7566 wrote:
good one!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Maybe I have fallen behind the curve, but isn't "Vegan" food that isn't meat or dairy? If so, doesn't any grocery store have vegetables for sale?

There is much more available these days for vegans than just vegetables. There are vegan foods available that provide protein, etc., for a healthy well-balanced diet. Lots a soy-based choices. And so on.

And vegan actually means foods that are not processed with any animal participation, so that means no honey or mushrooms.

Gone are the days of the pale skinny hippie vegan. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Rice wrote:
I have a friend who is a vegetarian, not vegan. She went to law school at the University of Texas, in Austin, and had no problem being a vegetarian there. Then she moved to McAllen to work for Legal Aid, and it was a tad bit more difficult. The best one is she went to a luncheon and the host took her aside and told her, "I know you're a vegetarian, so I only put half the usual amount of ham in the salad."

When our daughter was vegetarian, she visited with her grandparents and had dinner there. Great grandma made her signature "beef stroganoff" and told our daughter. I want you to know that I only used ONE beef bouillon cube in the stroganoff, just for you!

LOL

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who is a vegetarian, not vegan. She went to law school at the University of Texas, in Austin, and had no problem being a vegetarian there. Then she moved to McAllen to work for Legal Aid, and it was a tad bit more difficult. The best one is she went to a luncheon and the host took her aside and told her, "I know you're a vegetarian, so I only put half the usual amount of ham in the salad."

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks "bjbear", that gives me some insight. From some things I've read, keeping pets would be against some definitions of the life style because the animal is not "free". I guess veganism is just like life, do what you are comfortable with.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
I think lettuce is also available!

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
You can get beans in any grocery in the RGV.

Why didnโ€™t I think of that? ????
My Website

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
You can get beans in any grocery in the RGV.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Facebook account you might want to look at this link about the Vegan food prep. There is a number that you can call which I'm thinking will get you where you ultimately want to be.

Winter Texan Clicky
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Bipeflier wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, just trying to educate myself. What I've read about vegans, they don't consume anything from animals because of "exploitation" and treatment. True? If that is one of the reasons can vegans have pets? In my view, keeping a pet "captive" would fall under the rules?

Please don't take this to any extremes, just wondering.

Don't want to start a real discussion/argument here, but since you asked........

Veganism can be interpreted differently by many and is really defined by a person's beliefs and values. I choose to apply it as follows.

I do not eat meat, because I choose not to kill any animal so that I can eat. There are other options for me.

I do not eat dairy because I cannot support the way commercial dairy products are produced. Female cows are kept often in deplorable conditions and perpetually pregnant. Their calf's are separated from them immediately. Females enter the milk production and males are kept for short periods, often in small pens before being killed for veal. A horrible life in my opinion.

I do not eat eggs not because I think it is wrong to collect and use eggs, but because most hens are kept in very small cages and life a miserable life. Even "free range" chickens live in very poor conditions. Worst of all, is the treatment of the male chicks which are destroyed (sometimes very cruelly) because only female chicks have value.

Other things are not so clear for me:

Pets I am OK with because it is a symbiotic relationship. We both benefit from it. My dog has a great life and is very happy.

Honey I am also mostly OK with because it too is a symbiotic relationship where both Bees and humans benefit. For one thing, they are critical to fruit and vegetable production.

I am still trying to figure out my feelings on shellfish like oysters. I am not sure they are sentient.

P.S. For my beliefs about Bees and shellfish, many dyed in the wool vegans would drum me out of the "group"!!

These are just my own values and I do not expect others to agree with them. I respect everyone's right to eat what they want to. If you enjoy steak, go for it. Also, I do "cheat" every once in awhile as there is nothing in this world better than a pepperoni pizza!! Thank goodness most beer is Vegan!!!
My Website

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack this thread, just trying to educate myself. What I've read about vegans, they don't consume anything from animals because of "exploitation" and treatment. True? If that is one of the reasons can vegans have pets? In my view, keeping a pet "captive" would fall under the rules?

Please don't take this to any extremes, just wondering.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)