Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Motorcycle on 5ver.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle on 5ver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

rjxj wrote:

800 lb plus the mechanism to lift it? You need one of those caster wheel totes and good reinforcement or double tow a trailer for the bike.

If only BC would allow double towing.

The caster wheel design may not be double towing? It's been talked about on here and you may find it when searchig

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

rjxj wrote:

800 lb plus the mechanism to lift it? You need one of those caster wheel totes and good reinforcement or double tow a trailer for the bike.

Don't you have a CDL?

Have a friend with a nice Idaho Tote for sale. You would have to travel to SoCal!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not 100% certain but I think BC considers the Idaho Tote as second trailer.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

R12RTee wrote:

I have the HydraLift on my fiver carrying a 700 lb. bike.

[image]

I had a third axle installed to shorten the distance from the wheels to the rear of the camper and to carry the excess weight. The camper frame is 15 inches of 2x6 square tubing with sidewalls of 1/4". Most campers will not be able to support a lift and bike on the rear without modifications.

[image]

That looks like a very nice set up. The frame of my Citation is 16" deep C channel. I would probably reinforce it around the axles. I like the idea of adding a third axle. Do all three of your axles have electric over hydraulic disc brakes?

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

rjxj wrote:

Good thing they don't. I don't want to think about a combination like that on some of our grades.

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

rjxj wrote:

Good thing they don't. I don't want to think about a combination like that on some of our grades.

I see 5th wheel double tow out here in CO all the time and it doesn't seem to be a safety issue.

I love me some land yachting

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

rjxj wrote:

If the Idaho Tote or other similar swivel wheel platform is installed without ball couplers or lunette coupling -it should be considered an axle extension, not a trailer. This is one of the ways hd trucking uses lift axles for increasing carrying capacity that meets bridge laws while keeping the truck or trailer as short as possible.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reinforcing the frame around the axles would be a very good idea; ask me how I know! [emoticon]

From what I have discovered, our trailers have 8k lb axles (they are listed in the brochure as 7k lbs but it doesn’t appear that Dexter made the Never Lube axles with disc brakes at that rating) so the third axle may not be necessary. Getting it to look good will also require a lot of cosmetic fibreglass skirt work which would likely end up being very pricey.

I would think you would want to add several heavy crossmembers between the frame rails behind the axles too. As much as the c channel frame is large, it is quite thin material that is prone to a lot of flex.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

srosa

Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/17 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my Hydralift setup that was installed by the factory when the trailer was built. Lots more examples out there with a search.
[image]

2014 Excel L34IKR Fifth Wheel Trailer, Hydralift Motorcycle Carrier
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

4x4ord

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/17 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srosa wrote:

Here's my Hydralift setup that was installed by the factory when the trailer was built. Lots more examples out there with a search.
[image]

Thanks for posting the picture. I'm guessing my trailer might be similar to yours in length. How heavy is the motorcycle you carry? How far from the centre of the rear axle to the rear of your trailer? If you're happy with it with only two axles maybe I could get by without adding a third axle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Motorcycle on 5ver.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS