cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying New sight unseen

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I wonder if I should order a TT without ever seeing it, I like the Arctic Fox 32A, but only seen the pictures and video from there website. The closet one is 6+ hours away. There are other models at Lazy Days in Longmont but no 32A. Would you do it or not?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
58 REPLIES 58

Jasp2
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Jasp2 wrote:
Well I guess I'm one of the crazy ones, yes, we have been searching for a rig for a couple of years with all options on the table. We decided that we didn't want to trade in our 2016 F250 4x4 diesel for a dually for a 5th wheel so we homed in on TT's.

I started a year ago stating I wanted an Arctic Fox 32A and I let people talk me out of it because I'm on the East coast and finding a dealer is like finding Hens teeth so we investigated other TT's dropping the idea of the Arctic Fox, we did not find one we both liked. So back to my crazy idea of the 32A.

There was one dealership about 3 hours from us but did not have a 32A on the lot however they did have several other models that could give us a glimpse into the fit and finishes along with colors and extras. I wanted to build it with what we wanted.

We placed an order yes sight unseen and we are waiting on a build date. We ordered a 2018 but it may be a 2019 when we receive it. Factory said a build date of Feb/March another said early summer so I guess when I get the update of build I'll know.

We are excited and nervous but for us it was a deduction of what we were looking at and what we wanted and Arctic Fox fit the deal. We optioned it out fully and I think we got a good deal. I have talked to several people that have the 32A and all of them love it. If I get to the dealership and we see problems we will walk simple as that. I don't foresee any. Oh and this isn't the first time we have bought something sight unseen. It worked out well for us the other times so I guess we will see if the trend continues. It wasn't a whim it was something that we took our time and investigated fully before making the decision.

Good Luck.

Congrats and good luck.

Putting down a deposit of some kind and ordering from a factory is one thing.

Paying the entire amount without seeing the unit is something altogether different.

Oh God yes, Although the dealership requires a 10% deposit down to order I would not pay in full until we walked through it. We also sat down with the dealership and worked out a deal in person.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jasp2 wrote:
Well I guess I'm one of the crazy ones, yes, we have been searching for a rig for a couple of years with all options on the table. We decided that we didn't want to trade in our 2016 F250 4x4 diesel for a dually for a 5th wheel so we homed in on TT's.

I started a year ago stating I wanted an Arctic Fox 32A and I let people talk me out of it because I'm on the East coast and finding a dealer is like finding Hens teeth so we investigated other TT's dropping the idea of the Arctic Fox, we did not find one we both liked. So back to my crazy idea of the 32A.

There was one dealership about 3 hours from us but did not have a 32A on the lot however they did have several other models that could give us a glimpse into the fit and finishes along with colors and extras. I wanted to build it with what we wanted.

We placed an order yes sight unseen and we are waiting on a build date. We ordered a 2018 but it may be a 2019 when we receive it. Factory said a build date of Feb/March another said early summer so I guess when I get the update of build I'll know.

We are excited and nervous but for us it was a deduction of what we were looking at and what we wanted and Arctic Fox fit the deal. We optioned it out fully and I think we got a good deal. I have talked to several people that have the 32A and all of them love it. If I get to the dealership and we see problems we will walk simple as that. I don't foresee any. Oh and this isn't the first time we have bought something sight unseen. It worked out well for us the other times so I guess we will see if the trend continues. It wasn't a whim it was something that we took our time and investigated fully before making the decision.

Good Luck.

Congrats and good luck.

Putting down a deposit of some kind and ordering from a factory is one thing.

Paying the entire amount without seeing the unit is something altogether different.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Jasp2
Explorer
Explorer

Good Luck.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Road trip!

Heck, I went from Ohio to Arizona to look at a trailer.

Was it worth it?

Yes, as much as we loved the trailer looking at floor plans and even videos, when actually standing and sitting in the trailer we discovered things we didn't like. We chose not to buy.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Went and looked at some others models to see fit and finish Looks like a road trip is needed unless anybody knows someone with a newer 32a around Denver that would let me look at.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our Open Range 328bhs sight unseen. Spent a lot of time looking at YouTube videos and did go to a Highland Ridge dealer to look at other Open Ranges. The only regret; not sure if I would have noticed if I saw in person; is getting the King bed over a Queen. The King is not on a slide so it is big for the space, but my wife and I will enjoy the extra room. Would loved to have seen it in person, but if it's not possible, good videos will do just fine.
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Well GOSH! It was a Camper, not a Travel Trailer but that's the only bad story I' actually heard and we have a 2004 model.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
Ok, I wonder if I should order a TT without ever seeing it, I like the Arctic Fox 32A, but only seen the pictures and video from there website. The closet one is 6+ hours away. There are other models at Lazy Days in Longmont but no 32A. Would you do it or not?

I've bought a new Puma TT site unseen from a dealer in Walcott, IA, 9 hours away. Everything worked out fine. maybe I just got lucky. Not sure.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
I will say this. I have never heard any major complaints from Arctic Fox owners. My only complaint is I spilled a quart of Olive Oil and have never been able to clean it all up yet. as it went under the slider carpet. I did learn to velcro the pantry closed. It's heavy but rides well, tows like all the rest of the sleds out there. Floors are solid,. How many of you can , weighing 220 lb, jump off your sofa and not go to the asphalt underneath? I can.

http://serenitysys.com/rv/arctic_fox_29v/29V_assembly_line/building_an_arctic_fox_29v.html

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they would eventually find me attractive.

Interesting more detail that the videos
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say this. I have never heard any major complaints from Arctic Fox owners.

Well, they are out there, people I know had a dealership.
I had to take a $15k hit on mine after listening to people who praised them.
After I bought mine, I watched the dealer take 2 dozen of them apart over the years, i can say, they are not any different than any other , once you tear them apart and get to see the misses . Actually, i was very a little shocked as 'FatFox was when he opened his up.
Hopefully, they have gotten better by now.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23214823/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I will say this. I have never heard any major complaints from Arctic Fox owners. My only complaint is I spilled a quart of Olive Oil and have never been able to clean it all up yet. as it went under the slider carpet. I did learn to velcro the pantry closed. It's heavy but rides well, tows like all the rest of the sleds out there. Floors are solid,. How many of you can , weighing 220 lb, jump off your sofa and not go to the asphalt underneath? I can.

http://serenitysys.com/rv/arctic_fox_29v/29V_assembly_line/building_an_arctic_fox_29v.html

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they would eventually find me attractive.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We kind of did buy one from seeing it on line.....unit was at CW in Nashville and we had it pulled over to Knoxville CW. Of course we went through it before signing any paper work but took delivery on it in the end. I did as thorough a walk through as I could because it was a unit that sat almost a year on the lot and we got a very good deal on it. Loved the Coleman rear kitchen floor plan. We have since upgraded that unit to a Laredo. Never had an issue of any serious nature with the Coleman in the nearly 4 years we had it.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
We put in more than 8000 miles of driving over 15 months visiting at least eight RV shows, four manufacturers, and repeat visits to several dealers before making a final decision on our first RV, which has served us for the past 12 years. At first it was not knowing what we wanted, towards the end it was about exactly which model fit our needs, i.e. the living in it. That involved getting in the RV and trying it out.

We've been in a small RV club since 2005, and while most of the members have something they've used and liked for a long time, others keep buying every 2-5 years because what they bought didn't work as well for them as they thought it would.

While I like Artic Fox, and have no reservations about quality and construction methods, I would not buy any particular model without seeing that model and trying it out. That's not the same as needing to see the particular RV, as I have no problem with ordering from the factory based on having seen another example.

If you buy another RV without actually having seen one just like it, you might find yourself soon looking for something else that works better for you.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I was just in a 32A..The pictures on the net are deceiving.It is not as big as it looks to me.I had to turn semi sideways to go down the hall with my heavy jacket on.The bathroom is big but the bedroom seemed small and the dinette did not have much room up against the couch.

Definitely look before buying.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04