Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip planning - Alaska

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Springtime 2019 we will hit the road for an extended trip to the far northwest, with no scheduled return date.

I've begun the routing, but have hit a snag with the trip planner, in that it won't let me route west from Calgary to Banff. It tells me I can't go that way, that I must choose other stops, and the blue line disappears. I've sent a note to GS to see if they can help.
I also plan to get a Milepost travel guide, but will wait 'til closer to our departure date.

We want to travel northbound on the Icefields Parkway. My question to anyone in the know is, at what date could we expect to traverse this road in relative safety from heavy weather, and ice on the roadway.

I'd like to leave SC on or about April 15th, which should put us in Calgary about the end of the month. Barring spring storms, will that be too early for good road conditions?
My goal is to be well settled in AK by the start of the red salmon season in early July, so we will have plenty of time to poke along on the way.

TIA for any insight and info.
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…
17 REPLIES 17

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we certainly will have the time, and I do not see a problem with waiting out the weather for a few days as required. I'll bet we can find something to do in the Calgary/Banff area to hold us over 'til the sun shines.

I think we've decided, at this point, to take this route northbound.

Thanks again. I'm happy to see insight from some folks who have driven this route in this time frame, and folks who live in Alberta.

Having worked in Alaska for several years, I am aware at how fickle mother nature can be.
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
We crossed the border May 1st in '15' first night in Ft Macleod winds were terible. Second day went to Banff spent three nights there and great weather. Then headed north to Jasper, once we passed Lake Louise it was rain, fog, sleet, snow furries all the way to Jasper temp varied in low 30's. Not much of a drive other than miles put behind us. Stopped in Hinton and had 3 inches of wet snow. Was told better to spend another night as warm weather was to move in and the roads north would be clear by then. Cruised up to Grand Praire the next day where the truck and trailer got a mud coating from the oil field rigs dripping from their off pavement runs. Everything west and north to Tok were smooth sailing with sunny skies and clear roads but watch for the flagged spots.

We're planning on '18' but will cross the border about 2 weeks later.

Yes,those conditions are not unusual and while the extra two weeks will improve your odds somewhat there is no guarantee. Our main camping season usually starts the Victoria Day long weekend (last Monday before May 25). We often get snow in the West Country then, sometimes significant. The best solution is to leave extra days to avoid travelling in bad weather,. Of course this assumes you have the time.
Had you come in 2016 anytime after Apr 1 would have been great. It’s impossible to predict more than a few days in advance.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed the border May 1st in '15' first night in Ft Macleod winds were terible. Second day went to Banff spent three nights there and great weather. Then headed north to Jasper, once we passed Lake Louise it was rain, fog, sleet, snow furries all the way to Jasper temp varied in low 30's. Not much of a drive other than miles put behind us. Stopped in Hinton and had 3 inches of wet snow. Was told better to spend another night as warm weather was to move in and the roads north would be clear by then. Cruised up to Grand Praire the next day where the truck and trailer got a mud coating from the oil field rigs dripping from their off pavement runs. Everything west and north to Tok were smooth sailing with sunny skies and clear roads but watch for the flagged spots.

We're planning on '18' but will cross the border about 2 weeks later.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are leaving SC mid April don't be in too much of a hurry headed north. We have done it 3 times departing MD mid April the first time & running smack into a late season snow storm in N MN with very few CGs yet to be open.

In 2014 we were W of Calgary in the first week or so of May. Mud season with snow still on the ground in just opened CGs. The good news is that the critters are out & the snow still on the mountains is spectacular. Be prepared for some chilly nights. We spent the better part of a month going through Canada crossing the Yukon first week of June.

2018 is planned to be trip #4 north. We are in the very early planning stages. One big lesson learned in the first trip is to plan to change plans. Stay loose & go with the flow. Weather & mechanical things will happen. Always have a plan B & C.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, This is the info for which I've been looking.
Ken

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
kcfissel wrote:
Hi all,
Springtime 2019 we will hit the road for an extended trip to the far northwest, with no scheduled return date.

My goal is to be well settled in AK by the start of the red salmon season in early July, so we will have plenty of time to poke along on the way.

TIA for any insight and info.

If this is your plan you'll probably miss the red salmon season. They usually start running on the Kenai near the end of May and into June. You MAY catch a second run near the end of June into the early part of July though.

Chain laws on the Alcan are "in effect" between Oct 1st and May 1st. Usually you'll see some snow along side the highway in the early part of May, but nothing to worry about.

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
snowedin wrote:
Don't know why your trip planner is blocking you from going through Calgary to Banff and then Jasper National Parks.

Would you believe operator error? I know, it's hard for me to believe also.:o

Last nite I changed settings and after I unchecked "avoid highways" and "avoid tolls" it works fine.
Ken

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why your trip planner is blocking you from going through Calgary to Banff and then Jasper National Parks. I have done it twice (but in the reverse order, ie, Jasper-Banff-Calgary) with the camper trailer in tow. Can't comment on the weather as I went through in July/August but am thinking before May 1st might be early but who knows. Like stated above watch the weather and road reports, there are alternative routes. The highways in those National Parks are in great shape.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
When we headed north in '08 we were on the icefields parkway 1st week in June. lakes still had ice on them, mountains snowcovered, a few piles of snow in the campgrounds, but the roads were fine. Gotta wait for a blue-sky day - views along that route are spectacular! I think we hit it at a really good time of year - wouldn't have wanted to have been on it any earlier, at least that year. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:
We want to travel northbound on the Icefields Parkway. My question to anyone in the know is, at what date could we expect to traverse this road in relative safety from heavy weather, and ice on the roadway.

I'd like to leave SC on or about April 15th, which should put us in Calgary about the end of the month. Barring spring storms, will that be too early for good road conditions?

My closest Icefields Parkway drive to the period you're looking at was May 17th - you can see many photos and commentary from that day here. But as some have said, it just is what it is and can change dramatically in a few hours. Unless things look very bad for several days, though, I'd stick with your Icefields Parkway plan - it's worth waiting for.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I see you hail from South Carolina. As a suggestion? Do your planning with wriggle room. If the Parkway happens to be socked in with weather when you get to Calgary, look at heading to BC and then north via 93 from just west of Banff then head north on the 95, picking up the #1 again just north of Valemont and think of hitting the Parkway on your way home.

A trip of this magnitude..the trick..the secret, is to not be wedded to your hoped for travel routing. Be flexible. 100% bendy bendy, so that when the need arises no one gets bent out of joint. Look for the other way and carry on. Chances are, that will happen more often than you thought was gonna. You'll get to Alaska and have a great time doing it.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Like trigley say, don't push it to hard. Your early for the mountains and campgrounds, not just in up the icefeild parkway but just about everywhere north of there.
Third weekend in May is the unofficial opening date of the Canadian camping season. Come May 1st a lot of campgrounds will open, however not all of them will be.
Watch the weather reports, and check road reports, there are a lot of web cams in BC and Alberta, there are not to many in the Yukon.
BC web cams and road reports
If you see bad weather coming on your route early in the season or any time, just hold up a day or two and wait it out. Look on the link I gave you ... half way down left side ( DRIVEBC) for road reports.
Also on the web cams for ( southern interior) will show Banff and Lake Louise) yes, they are in Alberta, however BC just wanted to help Alberta advertise the Canadian Rockies. And that's because BC has more of the Canadian Rockies than Alberta does ( grin)
My oldest daughter lived west of Calgary for many years, not to many years ago there was a snow storm in the Banff area on August 1. Next day, you wouldn't know it hit on the road, but all the mountain peaks were still nice and white.
Have a blast and see you up there next summer.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
No commercial vehicles are allowed on the Icefield Parkway. My guess is the system is equating your outfit to a commercial one and trying to divert you at Calgary. There are no problems with going that route.
You should be OK May 1, just don't push it. By that I mean if there is a storm or threat of a storm sit it out for 2-3 days. Rain at Calgary or Banff would probably be snow further up. You want to do the drive on a nice day not only for the safety aspect, but it will be one of the most scenic segments of your journey.
There may well be snow encroaching on the shoulders particularly at higher elevations. If so be cautious of black ice from the thaw freeze, particularly in the mornings.
There will be a limited number of campgrounds open and no water to sites. This will be the same both in and out of the mountains.
The mountains IMO are much prettier in May than in summer due to the amount of snow cover. There is also a greater chance of seeing wildlife.
Going June or Aug would probably give you better weather but it is still just a chance. I have been at Lake Louise July 4 when it snowed all day.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, yes....Alberta.......where you can be suntanning in shorts and a t shirt in January and shoveling snow in June.

Ya just never can tell.

What's the weather like?

Wait a minute........