cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries Don't Fit Through Compartment Door; Cannot Replace

iamsuperchris
Explorer
Explorer
I have SCOURED the internet for a solution to this problem, and am surprised to see that nobody has posted about it.

I have a 1995 Fleetwood Jamboree Searcher, and my house batteries are dying.

I'm trying to replace them, but they literally DON'T FIT through the lower compartment door, so I can't get them out or put new ones in...

Has anyone with one of these RVs had this problem? The shop wants $800 to replace the batteries, which I think is outrageous. How are people replacing their house batteries on these Fleetwood RV's when the batteries don't fit through the compartment door? Does the compartment come out easily? Does the door panel come off easily? What's the secret (if there is one)?
24 REPLIES 24

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
My Sam's in Roswell NM sells 12V AGM's
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
DrewE wrote:
pnichols wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Sam's Club sells Duracell brand 6V AGMs which are affordable and convenient to get. My Sam's Club 6Vs are now 3 years old and are still doing great.
Ron .... that's strange. I wonder why Sam's Club offers 6V deep cycle AGM batteries, but not 12V deep cycle AGM batteries?

Either one lasts for years, but the 12V sizes may fit into more stock RV battery compartments better ... so that other precious storage areas don't have to be sacrificed so as to be able to use 6V golf cart batteries in order to get deep cycle performance.
It's simple: Lots of people buy lots of golf cart batteries to power lots of golf carts. Not so many people buy 12V deep cycle batteries to power RVs. The market for the one is much bigger than for the other, and so they stock the popular one and not the unpopular one.
Are you sure Sam's Club does not sell 12V AGM batteries? I never checked. Maybe they do. It is possible that they are offered only in certain stores like the 6Vs are. Check Sam's website. They do ask for your zip code so maybe 12V AGMs are filtered out based on the distance from your zip code.

Maybe it's the Sams in the west that don't?

I know most of the Sams in Michigan sell 12V AGM from Duracell (which are manufactured by East Penn.) As far as I can tell they are "true" deep cycle, just not high dollar telcom / medical rated like some folks prefer. Battery brand loyalty is as strong as generator brand loyalty, some folks will only buy Cummins or Honda generators when a Champion or Ryobi does the job just as well.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
looking at various units on the web, don't know exact model you have, it seems to me that the compartment doors are just screwed flush mount and could easily be removed when open?
bumpy

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
pnichols wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
Sam's Club sells Duracell brand 6V AGMs which are affordable and convenient to get. My Sam's Club 6Vs are now 3 years old and are still doing great.
Ron .... that's strange. I wonder why Sam's Club offers 6V deep cycle AGM batteries, but not 12V deep cycle AGM batteries?

Either one lasts for years, but the 12V sizes may fit into more stock RV battery compartments better ... so that other precious storage areas don't have to be sacrificed so as to be able to use 6V golf cart batteries in order to get deep cycle performance.
It's simple: Lots of people buy lots of golf cart batteries to power lots of golf carts. Not so many people buy 12V deep cycle batteries to power RVs. The market for the one is much bigger than for the other, and so they stock the popular one and not the unpopular one.
Are you sure Sam's Club does not sell 12V AGM batteries? I never checked. Maybe they do. It is possible that they are offered only in certain stores like the 6Vs are. Check Sam's website. They do ask for your zip code so maybe 12V AGMs are filtered out based on the distance from your zip code.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:

Ron .... that's strange.

I wonder why Sam's Club offers 6V deep cycle AGM batteries, but not 12V deep cycle AGM batteries?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:

Ron .... that's strange.

I wonder why Sam's Club offers 6V deep cycle AGM batteries, but not 12V deep cycle AGM batteries?

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I like the posts that suggest AGM or some "maintenance free" solution. If OP can't get the batteries OUT, how can s/he check the electrolyte level? Our Jayco has clearance above the battery, but it sits in a deep tray, had to be tipped about 45* to pull out of the tray to set on the ground to check. Luckily, I was able to add drawer slides and can now bring it out level.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Next chance, replace the hard to get at batteries with deep cycle AGMs. You can install them on their sides, and they seldom need to be hauled out.
I agree. I also suggest that if there are two batteries involved, to see if two 6 volts will fit. They will last longer than a pair of 12Vs. Sam's Club sells Duracell brand 6V AGMs which are affordable and convenient to get. My Sam's Club 6Vs are now 3 years old and are still doing great.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Next chance, replace the hard to get at batteries with deep cycle AGMs. You can install them on their sides, and they seldom need to be hauled out.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
That is ridiculous. What kind of screwball motor home company would design such a stupid battery compartment? DUH!!!!!

Sorry for my harsh unproductive reply.
A different one than mine, but with the same mentality, my slide was made without access to the drive gear, so if the gear goes out, (which it has) you must remove the entire slide to replace the drive gear assembly. :S
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to turn the batts on their side to get them out, cut a small piece of plastic trash bag, put it over the cell opening and screw on the cap. It forms a gasket and leakage will be minimal.

Don’t forget to take it off or pressure might build.
RVing since 1995.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
does this compartment door just flush mount to the side of the rV?
if so, just remove the door/frame. somebody got them in there somehow and I refuse to believe they were installed during the construction.
bumpy

My first thoughts were what JD wrote, they may have been put in sideways.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
RON, I like that post, very true ,they don,t care its not there problem any more.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
That is ridiculous. What kind of screwball motor home company would design such a stupid battery compartment? DUH!!!!!

Sorry for my harsh unproductive reply.

The same kind of RV company that builds the entire thing around a huge residential fridge so when it poops out, you're removing windows or windshields. Not their problem after its pushed out the factory door. Alfred E Neuman RV manufacturing....what me worry? LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?