cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I guess I will be driving a new Ford tomorrow

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.
75 REPLIES 75

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
travelnman wrote:
Enjoyed conversation with a happy camper about tow vehicles. He had two
new pickups like your talking about. They all blew trans pulling a 30foot TT.
He said that Ford fixed it but it took all summer to get his new truck back
then next summer the trans would go again. His comment was the way to fix
it was to buy a Tundra, and last year he was a happy camper all summer. I have
an 04 Burbon 1/2 ton pulling over 7,000lbs with the 5.3. Over the years I
have pulled steep grades even those with truck run away ramps and warnings to check your exhaust brakes. I now have 200,000miles on that old burbon and have only done brakes and replaced a manifold gasket, that's it. I love that old truck probably will be around longer than I will be, so my son should be able to carry on until that old truck dies if it ever does. Saw a Burbon for sale with 330,000 miles, they wanted over $6,000 might just be worth a look.

I agree on the Tundra part, owned one and sold it after 100K trouble fee miles, but they don't pull what a lot of us pull, thus the new CTD which has been flawless for the small 16K sample size.

From what I've seen here, the vast majority of the later-year auto trannys from the Big 3 have been pretty reliable.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed conversation with a happy camper about tow vehicles. He had two
new pickups like your talking about. They all blew trans pulling a 30foot TT.
He said that Ford fixed it but it took all summer to get his new truck back
then next summer the trans would go again. His comment was the way to fix
it was to buy a Tundra, and last year he was a happy camper all summer. I have
an 04 Burbon 1/2 ton pulling over 7,000lbs with the 5.3. Over the years I
have pulled steep grades even those with truck run away ramps and warnings to check your exhaust brakes. I now have 200,000miles on that old burbon and have only done brakes and replaced a manifold gasket, that's it. I love that old truck probably will be around longer than I will be, so my son should be able to carry on until that old truck dies if it ever does. Saw a Burbon for sale with 330,000 miles, they wanted over $6,000 might just be worth a look.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Key, thanks for the post back. I commend you on that and your positive attitude through the bum deal.

I think you just happened to draw a one in a million bad number.

Reminds me of that smooth running Kawasaki V twin on the back of my Z turn. All was well until out of the clear blue it started rattling and then turned itself off with a big bam. Exhaust valve head popped off and it was all down hill from there.

I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to do that... :h
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
/
much better then the 1960's, 70's, 80's Retired Chevy dealer mechanic...

if they were Built GREAT,, no warranty would be needed...

I remember new cars coming off the delivery trucks with internal engine parts missing.

If they were so good that no warranty was needed then conversely they shouldn't hesitate to give a life time warrentee, or at least to the first major sevice interval which is 100,000 miles on most gas engines these days.

That WORKS also...:)

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Bingo !

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
OMG really, what part of "Yes it is a good engine, heck even a great engine. But Bullet proof it is not! Just like anything made in large numbers under high volume there will be the occasional bad engine coming off ANY assembly line. Ford's plants are no different then any other car companies.".

As to posting a link, that was done because otherwise I would hear, where's you proof. GM, FCA and every other manufacture has engine failures. It is a fact of life, how it is dealt with is the question.

Don

So by.....buy WTF you want.
Maybe your Blue koolaide remark headed it that way.

I think that you hit that nail on the head. Very well stated.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
OMG really, what part of "Yes it is a good engine, heck even a great engine. But Bullet proof it is not! Just like anything made in large numbers under high volume there will be the occasional bad engine coming off ANY assembly line. Ford's plants are no different then any other car companies.".

As to posting a link, that was done because otherwise I would hear, where's you proof. GM, FCA and every other manufacture has engine failures. It is a fact of life, how it is dealt with is the question.

Don

Maybe your Blue koolaide remark headed it that way.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Don

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Glade they are getting you back on the road sooner then six weeks!

As for the guys that think this engine is bullet proof you might want to slow down on the Blue Kool-Aid a bit! Yes it is a good engine, heck even a great engine. But Bullet proof it is not!
LINK to 6.2 Engine Failures
Just like anything made in large numbers under high volume there will be the occasional bad engine coming off ANY assembly line. Ford's plants are no different then any other car companies. It is quantity first then they worry about quality.

We have a Toolmaker that took his two week vacation and started a job at a Ford plant. After one week he told them to "take their job and shove it" and came back to work for FCA. He will tell you "if you think FCA is screwed up try working for Ford. They are a joke!". This is not BS and as you will note in the last quote he said he thinks FCA is screwed up too! And before you go thinking GM is better I know first hand how GM is run. My Dad put in over thirty years at the Toledo Powertrain plant. He would come home and tell me stories that would make you turn red with anger. He drove Fords most of the time he worked at GM and bought a 91 Ram after he retired not a GM. He does like his Cadillac's though LOL

So stop beat the drums boys because if any of you knew what really goes on in the auto plants you would by a horse and buggy!

Don
Do you feel better now after making another useless Ford bash post?:B

Yeah really. Some people only hate you because of the way other people love you.

People usually throw rocks at things that shine.

Without posting google searches for FCA and GM engine failures, it's nothing more than brand bashing. Google those engines and the results will be no better.

P.S.

It's buy, not by.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II

As for the guys that think this engine is bullet proof you might want to slow down on the Blue Kool-Aid a bit! Yes it is a good engine, heck even a great engine. But Bullet proof it is not!
Just like anything made in large numbers under high volume there will be the occasional bad engine coming off ANY assembly line. Ford's plants are no different then any other car companies. It is quantity first then they worry about quality.

We have a Toolmaker that took his two week vacation and started a job at a Ford plant. After one week he told them to "take their job and shove it" and came back to work for FCA. He will tell you "if you think FCA is screwed up try working for Ford. They are a joke!". This is not BS and as you will note in the last quote he said he thinks FCA is screwed up too! And before you go thinking GM is better I know first hand how GM is run. My Dad put in over thirty years at the Toledo Powertrain plant. He would come home and tell me stories that would make you turn red with anger. He drove Fords most of the time he worked at GM and bought a 91 Ram after he retired not a GM. He does like his Cadillac's though LOL

So stop beat the drums boys because if any of you knew what really goes on in the auto plants you would by a horse and buggy!

Don
Do you feel better now after making another useless Ford bash post?:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
/

I remember new cars coming off the delivery trucks with internal engine parts missing.

If they were so good that no warranty was needed then conversely they shouldn't hesitate to give a life time warrentee, or at least to the first major sevice interval which is 100,000 miles on most gas engines these days.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
/

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Wow..weird.

Normally you hear about dropped glow plugs or valves on the 6.7 L Ford diesels, but this is the first one I've read about for a gas engine.

I suppose it happens. That's what warranties are for.

The nice thing about truck gas engines is that they are pretty simple, beastly things.

Even a crate motor is less than half of the cost of a diesel motor.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820