cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for generator

cjmccullen
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! New to this forum. I'm going to buy a generator for travel with my 1996 5th wheel. It was suggested to me to buy 2 2000K generators so that it would be easier for me to move around instead of a larger one. As a result of being a single woman on the road, this will come in handy 😉 Also can use only one if I'm not going to be using the AC. My questions, which brands should I stay away from? Suggestions appreciated!

Cari.
45 REPLIES 45

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the Honda because my husband worked for huge company in San Diego that all they used were Honda portable generators and of course the Onan in their trucks. My husband said the little Honda generator was always dependable in hot or cold and rainy weather.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Dtank, what "mods" did you do to your Champion to quiet it down?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the biggest problem with any gasoline powered generator is letting them sit for a long time without running them. And not properly doing the storage procedure. Gasohol is a real killer for the carburetors. Oil changes are necessary to assure there is no oil contamination. Oil simply does not wear out it get contaminated from moisture, carbon, metal filings and etc. Since most generators do not have oil filters so it is necessary to change the oil more often. With metallurgy as good as it is today, metal filings from wear is not that bad. Carbon, crud and moisture are a bigger problem. Also, generators that require armature brushes should be avoided..

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
rjxj wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to post back here about how they do a valve adjustment every 100 hours on their Champ 3100. They also need to change the oil every 50 hours if using heavy loads or using during high temperatures. Hello? Hello?

The nay-sayers regarding the quality of Champion Generators are either
really, really mis-informed, newbies to the forums, or just couldn't believe the mileage (run time) and service as well as bang you get for your buck....as compared to a Yam or Honda.

"rjx" you CAN find the info you want - if you're willing to look for it in the *Tech Forum*, in the - Thread: "3000W Chinese Gensets Info."

That thread started out (2005) on generic 3000W generators, but "evolved" into almost exclusively about - Champion Generators.

Don't know who is counting, but IMO, it holds the record here for -

The sheer number of posts (10,015) and views (1,171,961) in over 1000 pages & covers everything - including many *very* happy users, as well as tech info and "how to" be "user friendly" in campgrounds (with real time db ratings).

Later threads took up where that one left off - when newer inverter models were introduced by Champion.

:C..:C

This is an easy question, "How many are actually doing 100 hour valve adjustments and 50 hour oil changes".

So - are you conducting a poll - or what?..:@

First responder = I don't.

There was a guy on the thread JC mentioned who ran his Champion gen continuously during a power outage (hurricane) for 3 days straight. IMO - he missed his scheduled maint!..:(.. ROTFL

In order of 'ownership': I have one of the first 1000W Honda Inverter gens (EU100i), a Yam (2400iS), and a 3500W elect start Champion.
Had I known about the reliability of the Champ *before* buying the Yam, it would have been an easy *first* choice!

The blue one will run my 1500btu AC - but nothing else (which is OK).
The Champ will run the AC and 'other stuff' too. (a 'better OK')
With some simple noise reduction mods, it's as quiet as the Yam.

Easy solution:
Buy whatever adjusts *YOUR* attitude, valves or wallet!

And - looking forward to the poll results.!

:C

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
rjxj wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to post back here about how they do a valve adjustment every 100 hours on their Champ 3100. They also need to change the oil every 50 hours if using heavy loads or using during high temperatures. Hello? Hello?

really, really mis-informed, newbies to the forums, or just couldn't believe the mileage (run time) and service as well as bang you get for your buck....as compared to a Yam or Honda.

"rjx" you CAN find the info you want - if you're willing to look for it in the *Tech Forum*, in the - Thread: "3000W Chinese Gensets Info."

That thread started out (2005) on generic 3000W generators, but "evolved" into almost exclusively about - Champion Generators.

The sheer number of posts (10,015) and views (1,171,961) in over 1000 pages & covers everything - including many *very* happy users, as well as tech info and "how to" be "user friendly" in campgrounds (with real time db ratings).

Later threads took up where that one left off - when newer inverter models were introduced by Champion.

This is an easy question, "How many are actually doing 100 hour valve adjustments and 50 hour oil changes".

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of us get along just fine with a single genny such as the Honda 2000. 11 seasons for us. Over 150 nights on the road per season. Guess about 2 weeks worth dry camping total. Very seldom have we been dry camping someplace where we really missed having an AC.

Rather than spend money on a second genny to be carried around & seldom used, we spent the money on enhancing the battery bank & installing an inverter charger. This eliminated the need of running the genny for low power needs & only meant that the genny is needed for recharging the battery bank. During this time everything else that needs charging is plugged in.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
cjmccullen wrote:
Hi! New to this forum. I'm going to buy a generator for travel with my 1996 5th wheel. It was suggested to me to buy 2 2000K generators so that it would be easier for me to move around instead of a larger one. As a result of being a single woman on the road, this will come in handyIt was suggested to me to buy 2 2000K generators so that it would be easier for me to move around instead of a larger one. As a result of being a single woman on the road, this will come in handy 😉 Also can use only one if I'm not going to be using the AC. My questions, which brands should I stay away from? Suggestions appreciated!

Cari.

If you noticed, some people are not paying much attention to your post. If you can afford it, you need to go with the 2 Honda iu2000e generators, if you have to go less expensive, you can go with Yamaha or the other 2000W brands. They are light-weight enough for you to man-handle around;). You can parallel them, they will handle all you need, including ac, and if properly maintained, you'll never have any problems. You don't need a Harbor Freight this or Champion 3000 something-or-other; too hard to move around. As far as brands to stay away from, the only one I've heard about is the Harbor Freight stuff. Apparently it's hard to get parts, but I don't know that for a fact. Also, don't let the fact that it's not electric start scare you-it's a simple , easy one-pull start-up, nothing more. My 85 year old mother can do it. Good luck to you!

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

justme
Explorer
Explorer
If the truth be know the Champion, Predator and other inverter generators made in China are most likely built in the same plant. Just a guess. The main difference between Honda/Yamaha and Champion is the motor. Champion has a smaller displacement and the cylinder is not sleeved. For intermittent/occasional use the Champion/China generators will do the job very well. For long term/everyday use I would go with Honda/Yamaha. The Champion with the smaller displacement motor must run at higher RPM to generate the same horse power as the Honda/Yamaha.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a 4500watt generator for a couple of years and never had an occasion to use it until Hurricane Irma came thru. OMG was it loud. I think there should be a noise abatement requirement placed on portable generators. I think if they were run next to a cemetery the dead would be up an out of their graves complaining about the noise. I know there is technology available to make them quiter..........

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
johndeerefarmer wrote:
laknox wrote:
You can get TWO of these from Harbor Freight for less than the cost of ONE Honda 3000:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html.

Lyle

You also get a very short warranty, no proven track record and no source for parts so you had better plan on buying a new one every time your's breaks.

Nearly 500 positive reviews on HF with 4.5+ stars. (shrug)

Yeah, they have been out for what now about 3 or 4 months? Ask the owners again in a year or two. That 90 day warranty on the Predator makes me feel real comfortable with buying one of those. LOL

Buy whatever you can afford and can live

Lyle
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

AniJet
Explorer
Explorer
My son and I each have the HF 2000 (a Honda knock-off) and they have been flawless. For the price I would buy it again.
07 Mobile Suites 36TK3 Demco GlideRide PIn Box
12 3500HD D/A CC 4X4 AirSafe Hitch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
johndeerefarmer wrote:
laknox wrote:
You can get TWO of these from Harbor Freight for less than the cost of ONE Honda 3000:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html.

Lyle

You also get a very short warranty, no proven track record and no source for parts so you had better plan on buying a new one every time your's breaks.

Nearly 500 positive reviews on HF with 4.5+ stars. (shrug)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member