cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soon to be full timers but a question re: 6 speed gassers

FREEWHEELINIT1
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife and I are about to embark on a one year (possibly longer) full time RV trek and have a question regarding class A's. Prior to pulling the trigger on a purchase after the 1st of the year, curious if anyone has driven or own the newer Ford V10 with the 6 speed tranny. And if you did, is it a significant enough improvement over the 5 speed performance? We will be flat towing a 3,000 lb car. Love the floor plans of the newer class A gassers with the L shaped sofa and disappointed that the 2013-2015 pre-owned class A entry level DP's we've looked at don't have what we love in layouts. About a 150k max budget. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
21 REPLIES 21

FREEWHEELINIT1
Explorer
Explorer
Great information and thanks to all! If we can find a 2013-2015 DP with a layout that will make my Wife and I happy, we'll probably go with that but it's good to know folks have been content with the new 6 speed gasser and it will still be an option for us. Purchase time will be immediately after Jan 1st so it's coming up fast...Glad to see such a wealth of information on this site. Again, thanks to all!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I love the six speed in my 2016 winnebago adventurer 38q. I had the 5 and it was good but this is better. From your description you have looked at my coach which is no longer being produced. Too bad. Great floor plan.

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
"Ford is simply going to deny coverage and leave the ball in your hands--if you want to sue go ahead."

I've made the same point when people quote the M-M-W Act. For the individual consumer I don't see how the act is very helpful. What individual can afford the time and money required to take legal action against a company like Ford? The cost of a new engine, transmission would be chump change in comparison.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
Consumers of aftermarket products are protected by the Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. In other words Ford would have to prove that the aftermarket programmer caused the problem. But it is easy to remove the program before taking it in for service and then reinstall. There are many wrtie ups including MH magazine that shows the good results of the 5 star program

Ford is simply going to deny coverage and leave the ball in your hands--if you want to sue go ahead. And it would be easy enough for Ford to show damage was caused by the drive train being used, and possibly stressed, in ways not intended. And the warranty might state that aftermarket modifications void the warranty. In any event first hand accounts in Ford pickup truck forums will show that Ford in fact does deny warranty coverage to tuned engines. Ford technicians can detect removed tunes. Removing a tune in order to deceive Ford and get a warranty honored is dishonest.

When I bought a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost I was offered a Roush tune by the Ford dealer, who also handled Roush. He said the tune voided the Ford warranty but I'd be covered by a Roush warranty. Other tuners, evidently fully aware of Ford's stance, also offer their own warranties.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Consumers of aftermarket products are protected by the Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. In other words Ford would have to prove that the aftermarket programmer caused the problem. But it is easy to remove the program before taking it in for service and then reinstall. There are many wrtie ups including MH magazine that shows the good results of the 5 star program
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
If the new 6 speed trans does not allow the driver to lock out 6 or manually select 5 then it wouldn't tempt me to upgrade.

The worst feature of the 5 speed is the inability to limit shifting between 4-5. It's tiresome in rolling hills feathering the throttle to minimize gear hunting.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ratfink09
Explorer
Explorer
We took our 2017 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA out west this year. The 6 speed tranny did well. Would I have liked a diesel on a few long hills oh yeah. The noise in the coach was not bad at high rpm. We were not towing so I would be interested in feedback regarding this. A bigger issue for us was the ride quality of the F-53 chassis. That might be an argument for a diesel chassis.

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
I made an error.
The five speed selector is D321.

The six speed is D421.
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi. I traded my 2006 five speed for a 2016 six speed. The shift patterns have been changed in the six speed.

Top RPMs in the five speed is about 5200 RPMs. When climbing at 5200 RPMs the cab is very noisy. I would disengage cruise control and climb at 4000 RPMs. Top RPMs for the six speed is about 4200 RPMs. The six speed is much quieter than the five speed.

My 2016 is much easier to drive than my 2006. White knuckle driving is greatly reduced. I'm much more relaxed when driving my 2016.I don't know what makes my 2016 more stable. My 2006 had 19.5 tires and my 2006 has 22 inch tires My 2016 is about 4 feet longer and it is on a heavier chassis.

I had a Safe-T-Plus steering damper, and a sway bar, and trac bar added before I drove the coach.

Love it. Winnebago Sightseer 33C.

Very informative, thanks! Can you say if the six speed is able to lock out higher gears or better yet selectively choose one gear in a manual mode? In my Ford pickup six speed I can disable upper gears incrementally in D or go to manual mode and select one gear and no shifting out of that gear will happen, even when using cruise control. I would love to have that control for the MH.

I do not have knowledge of the pickups other than others have said that they wished that in their F53 six speed they could select gears like they can in their trucks.

The gear selector allows for downshifting from drive to 3, 2, or 1, but I allow cruise control to pick the gear or I drive allowing the transmission to pick a proper gear. If cruise control gets too far in the hole cruise control will disengage. I keep my foot on the gas when climbing so that if cruise control disengage I can take over.

I'm retired and I no longer feel the need to get somewhere fast. So climbing a grade somewhat slower is fine to a point. I will pass the trucks that are climbing at a snails pace.

Safe travels. JD
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Note that the Ford motor company takes the position that aftermarket tunes void the warranty. Reasonably enough IMO, as they're a form of hot rodding.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
The 6 speed has 1234 and D so you cand select 1-4 mannually. If you use tow/haul you will lock out 6th most of the time. Once again do not overlook the 5 Star tune it really makes a diff. I have no affiliation with 5 star other than to use their products.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Yellowboat. wrote:
Hi. I traded my 2006 five speed for a 2016 six speed. The shift patterns have been changed in the six speed.

Top RPMs in the five speed is about 5200 RPMs. When climbing at 5200 RPMs the cab is very noisy. I would disengage cruise control and climb at 4000 RPMs. Top RPMs for the six speed is about 4200 RPMs. The six speed is much quieter than the five speed.

My 2016 is much easier to drive than my 2006. White knuckle driving is greatly reduced. I'm much more relaxed when driving my 2016.I don't know what makes my 2016 more stable. My 2006 had 19.5 tires and my 2006 has 22 inch tires My 2016 is about 4 feet longer and it is on a heavier chassis.

I had a Safe-T-Plus steering damper, and a sway bar, and trac bar added before I drove the coach.

Very informative, thanks! Can you say if the six speed is able to lock out higher gears or better yet selectively choose one gear in a manual mode? In my Ford pickup six speed I can disable upper gears incrementally in D or go to manual mode and select one gear and no shifting out of that gear will happen, even when using cruise control. I would love to have that control for the MH.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer

2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how big you want to go I would also look at mid range DP in the 2006 area at about $130000 you can find some real cherries with up grade a lot over the gas and have a little held back for some what if's.

LEN