cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern Michigan Ideas? Holland? St Joseph? South Haven?

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Made a trip up the Ludington Michigan area a few years ago, and stayed at Ponchos Pond campground. Absolutely awesome campground, state of the art place, and excellent for kids! Ludington was great too.
This summer we want to head back to Michigan, but since its closer for us, and traveling with a newborn this time around, was hoping to stay in Southern Michigan, since its only about a 4 hour drive for us. Any campgrounds in the Southern Michigan area such as Holland or St Josephs area that are as nice and kid friendly with all the pools just as Ponchos Pond? Also, is there much to do for children in the Holland, South Haven, or St Josephs area? Or southern Michigan?
Thanks in advance!!!
22 REPLIES 22

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
We like Muskegan state park, its good for a few days if your moving around. One of the channel loops has nice large sites that will fit about any size rigs. The USS Silversides is a WW2 submarine museum that is worth seeing and is docked right on the channel spitting distance from the channel campgrounds. Problem is its on the other side of the channel and over a half hour away lol.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Duck Creek a couple of times.
It is very nice.

The beach at Muskegon State Park on the shore of Lake Michigan is about 10 miles away.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim-thanks for the advice, I will check out the satellite view!

golfknut- Thanks for the info! Duck Creek does look nice! have you stayed there? any clue how close it is to the beach?

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
We have not stayed at either of the parks I mentioned but have visited both.

If your children enjoy theme/water parks and you don't mind driving a bit further north you might want to check out Duck Creek RV Resort located north of Muskegon. It's a nice place and Michigan's Adventure is right across the street from the RV park.

jim_isham
Explorer
Explorer
It's about 6 or 7 miles west of the campground. Just go west on Phoenix St. to the lake and you'll be at South Beach.

Here's something that will let you see a satellite view of the campground.

https://vintageaerial.com/photos/michigan/van-buren

Just type in 03403 64th South Haven, where it asks for an address and enter. You can go to a full screen and a satellite view.
Michigan's Sunset Coast

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
golfknut- Thanks! Have you been to either one of these? Oak Grove doesn't have the best reviews, at all!
South Haven Jellystone has excellent reviews, but I am wondering how close it is to the beaches/town.
I appreciate it!

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
South Haven Jellystone Park has cabins for rent.

Oak Grove Resort in Holland also has cabins for rent. This park's location is great if you like the beach as it's an easy bike ride from here to a great beach on Lake Michigan at Holland State Park.

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
TravelNutz-Thanks, ill look into it!

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Haven State Park has a home in the park on Harbor Ave that used to be the park managers home that they now rent out. Not sure but I think it has 3 bedrooms but you will have to inquire for the latest info. The park manager now has a home in the city so the last few managers didn't need that home in the park anymore thus they rent it out as it's a quite nice place last I looked. Several of the private CG's around here also have cabins they rent too.

Can't help you with the other places you mentioned but someone else can.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lastly, some in our group may not bring there camper, and opt for a cabin rental at the chosen campground. Does any of the state parks in South haven, Holland, or Grand Haven offer cabins for rent at there campgrounds?
Thanks!

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe Puma- Thanks for the suggestions on the two private campgrounds. I am looking into both right now!

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelnutz- Thanks for all the detailed responses! I appreciate it! and I may end up PM you for just a bit more info, when we pin point exactly where we are going to stay.
Eastpoint Rv resort does look very nice! Thanks for that suggestion!

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
I can recommend two places. Sunny brook Rv Resort, located in South Haven. Beautiful place great amenities. Five minutes off highway. maybe five minutes opposite way from highway is downtown Southaven. beautiful free beaches, shops and restaurants.
Second place we just stayed at this summer is Eastpoint RV in Grand Haven. Hour North of South Haven. Equally beautiful resort. We booked the river sites, which is a great view. 5 minutes from downtown Grand Haven. Grand Haven state park is on the beach. need park pass to enter with car.
We are planning to go to Eastpoint again, if we get the river view sites. Otherwise as we come from the south, we would opt for Sunny Brook since its an hour closer. Sunny Brook has a few rules since it is ownership lots. Mainly RV has to be I think 28' and no more than 10 years old.
Been to sunny brook every year for the last 8 years.
Good luck
Ron

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
jabres,

The kids are younger than I had first thought from your topic post. Perhaps, you will have 4 adults and a young baby plus two 4-5 year olds or maybe another one. A few of the local area campgrounds both public and private that might be a fit for you:

First I'll mention that there are 4 state parks within the space of 18 miles north or south of Grand Haven (using Grand Haven as the center point) and are very popular with young families/kids visitors too. They of course do not have pools as they are right on Lake Michigan and their clean superb pure sand beach gigantic natural pool is 100 miles wide and 340 miles long. Almost never will want or need and A/C because of the constant breeze coming off the 70 to 75 degree lake waters. Natural A/C! The 4 are from south to north:

Holland State Park north of Holland piers. 2 CG units with 1 on Lake Michigan and one inland approx. 1/2 mile inland. Too far to walk to much other attributes in the surrounding area so you will need to drive to them. Very popular state park and CG. The Lake Michigan beach is roughly 1/2 mile long. Total campsites for both units is approx 400. The beach unit sites are on concrete because it's on the soft beach sand. The inland unit is behind the dunes and has some trees etc.

Grand Haven State Park in Grand Haven on south side on the piers. 174 campsites with a state of the art bath house with private door shower rooms and several doored family private shower rooms entered from the outside around the building. Walk to nearly all area attributes on paved wide extremely popular boardwalk thru landscaped park after park along the river to downtown etc with huge ships and constant pleasure boats coming and going constantly. Pedal bikes etc are allowed on the boardwalk as it's wide but no motorized. 2 new young kids playgrounds (one in the CG and one about 150' outside the CG. Pristine pure sand beach is about 1 mile long and continues on south with the city beach. Of course, very popular and the most visited of the over 100 Michigan State Parks. Mostly used by families of all ages as there's so much to do around the entire area without touching your wallet. Many free live concerts in town on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays plus the free nightly performances of the football field size worlds largest musical fountain of its type now in is 55th year viewed from the large stadium/amphitheater on the river downtown a couple hundred yards from the free splash pad. There's an open air trolley system kids and adults love and about 2 dozen Harbor Transit busses (14 to 34 passenger) to ferry people around to their specific destinations and return if you don't even want to drive. 160 miles plus of constructed paved bike paths if you take your bikes.

P J Hoffmaster State Park on Lake Michigan with 1200 acres 5 miles north of Grand Haven, big tall sand dunes, miles of hiking trails, lots of deer, a very nice nature center with programs for kids, 2-1/2miles of pure sand beach, with ~300 CG sites in the woods behind the dune, and has a constructed walk path between the dunes about 200 - 300 yards to the beach. Also has a very favorite of kids of all ages very shallow creek and water pools that winds its way into Lake Michigan across the sand beach near the CG. Also has a day use area with lots of parking and rest rooms with a few hundred foot paved walkway to the beach if that's preferred. Need to drive a couple miles to the other local area attributes as it's a more rural location.

Muskegon State Park on the north side of the Muskegon piers has 2 units. Several hundred CG sites in total. One on Lake Michigan which you walk to from the CG and the other on Muskegon Lake. Need to drive to other attributes in the area. Lots of beach length of pure sand of course. Somewhat wooded CG's.

Then there's the private type CG's. A few of them that may interest you with young kids are:

The Christian Conference Grounds CG complex about ~3 miles south of Grand Haven on Lake Michigan and has a very large pool too and also the Lake Michigan beach. ~150 CG sites and very family friendly. Ratings are high at 4.7 out of 5 from user's posts.

Conestoga Grand River CG on the north side of the Grand River approx 8 miles east of Grand Haven. A pool, pontoon boat and other watercraft rentals on site. Very wooded setting on a bluff overlooking the wide river with a driveway down to the river. Over a hundred campsites. Have to drive to any other area attributes.

Allendale/Grand Rapids West KOA is across the river and a little east of Conestoga and it has a pool also. Wooded and a very rural setting.

Eastpointe RV resort in Grand Haven is a very upscale gorgeous new CG on the very wide (.8 mile wide) Grand River on the east side of Grand Haven. Really is plush and all very newly made from scratch and with several million $$$ cost. (2 years old) with about anything in amenities including a very large pool and hot tubs, laundry and play areas you could desire but is not cheap. Around $60+/night if that is a concern. ~130 or so state of the art sites all with full river view and access and has 70' wide concrete level pads with large sites surrounded by almost carpet like grass and landscaping. Walk or drive or use public transportation from there for about anything your heart desires.

Because there's so much very clean natural water and the many very fine sand beaches in our area and other water sports venues, pools are not a highly wanted driving force in most area CG's. We simply don't need then that much as we have a few huge public pools also and how many pools does one area need?

www.visitgrandhaven.com

Give a lot of the area info but far from all. OP, feel free to PM me if you have other questions. We are in our 53rd year of RVing and boating now and our kids sure didn't fall far from the tree either. Life is good!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT