cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogs in RV parks

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are seriously considering buying a camper within the next year or so, so that we can travel around our great country while towing our own "home" everywhere we go. We also want to be able to travel with our cats, which will allow us to be away from home longer without needing to worry about having someone stop by every day or so to feed/water/scoop box.

I'm reading on a lot of forums that people travel with their dogs, probably for the same reasons we want to travel with our cats.

Do you find that dogs barking is an issue in RV parks? Do people with dogs make sure they're well-mannered? Obviously there will be bad apples and irresponsible dog owners wherever you go, but in general what's been your experience? The last thing we want to do is sink thousands in a camper then never use it because we're always dodging dog refuse around the RV park, or we can't sleep because people have yappers going all hours of the night.
104 REPLIES 104

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Taking your pets into any store (pets not service animals) is the dumbest new bullchit craze I’ve seen in a while.
Of course same goes for people driving with their bootable dogs in their laps.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:

My biggest pet peeve is bringing dogs into a restaurant where any type of food is served! Health issue for me!

I try and avoid restaurants that serve food. :B

Admin
Admin
RV.net

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you don't like dogs in restaurants, etc. don't go to europe.
bumpy

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:

My biggest pet peeve is bringing dogs into a restaurant where any type of food is served! Health issue for me!

Only service dogs are allowed in food places. Mine will go under the table and stay there until I leave, most people don't even realized he's there until then. Hopefully we can meet up some time and you can see what a true service dogs like, quite, well behaved an unobtrusive, if you don't see him you will not know he's there.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
The worst behaved dogs are the ones riding in grocery carts at the local Walmart.

In my experience those grocery cart dogs have been some of the nicest/friendliest dogs I have ever met.
bumpy

Problem with the grocery cart dogs are they are illegal and many start barking at the site of another dog. They are health hazards. Service dogs are always up to date on shots and trained to ignore other animals. They will always be 4 on the floor walking. Emotional support animals do not have the same access as service animals, there is a difference.

When did it become OK to take pets into stores? Over the last few years people seem to think they can take any pet in. I was in a Home Depot and a young girl had a **** goat in a dress in the store, give me a break. Oh my dog ignored it as he's been trained to do. He's has been to multi zoos with me, and up to see the wild goats in Glacier NP w/o issue. He even had a marmot drinking from his water dish between his legs. (to be fair he didn't know it was there he was too busy watching the goats, but everyone else got a good laugh)

Walmart is the worst. My legitimate service dog was almost attacked by a lab in a Walmart, took two people to hold it back when it went into attack mode. My dog backed up a coupe steps and looked at me Like whats it's problem? Went about shopping and came back to check out the dog goes into attack mode a second time. There is no way in He__ that dog was a service animal. Owner tells me if it's a problem I should go around with my dog? My dog gets hurt and the other dogs owner & Walmart will be talking with my attorney.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
The worst behaved dogs are the ones riding in grocery carts at the local Walmart.

In my experience those grocery cart dogs have been some of the nicest/friendliest dogs I have ever met.
bumpy

Don't you just love to set your lettuce where the dog's butt was? Absolutely hate seeing dogs in grocery stores!

For that matter why does everyone think they need to bring their dog to Lowes?
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Edd505 wrote:

bumpy

Don't you just love to set your lettuce where the dog's butt was? Absolutely hate seeing dogs in grocery stores!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel with three dogs. They are used to the routine and not much trouble at all. They need exercise and should not be left in the rig by themselves. I have a TT and keep them in the truck which is their secure place when we are gone. In warm weather it takes some planning. they are pretty quiet unless someone tries to get near the trailer. Having them encourages us to get out and walk more. We meet other people because of our dogs.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Edd505 wrote:

bumpy

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure that in the 110 or so post you were told about acclimating your cats to RV travel but I'm not about to read through all of that this morning. I've only got a few moments as I have to take the Winnie in for repairs to the Onan.

A safe place to hide, something personal from home, a dark place for daytime and of course food, water and a box. Spike rode with us for ten weeks on our Alaska Dream Trip and we took months to get him use to living so closely to us. With more than one it may be a little harder but it's just getting them use to the travel part.

Spike was deaf so barking dogs were never a problem, in fact I can't remember barking ever being a big factor since we started camping back in the early 60's. There have been some I'm sure but a place to hide during the day goes a long way.

Spike slept on a quilt my wife and daughters made for me and I used the same towel for him to rest on when I had to hydrate him(cronic renal failure), we took them with us and he knew while the walls and furniture were different, it was still his house.

Good luck and I you have specific questions, PM me.

David
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

bumpy

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
StPaddie wrote:
As far as dogs barking i have had no problems as it is not usually during quiet time hours.

Owners leaving their dog in their RV while they are gone for hours always calm their dog dosen't bark!!! How would they know after they have left the park!!!!!!!

However not picking up poo has been an issue in every park from florida to arizona. Read on for the worst example of inconsiderate dog dog owners.
Sounds to me like not one person in this forum has had their pets in the south west desert areas. We got stuck in this park as the area was booked and had no where to go. Signed on and after a couple of weeks witnessed owners of a year round park model using the empty site next to me as their own private dog park. For those of you in the know dog urine and or feces does not degrade in any way in the desert and is never washed away by rain as there is very little.

Or dog owners walking their dogs in front of your RV site letting them poop and whiz!!!!

Have sat here wondering if they used this site i am in for a dog park also. That means every time i kneel down to get in basement storage i am in pee and/or poo. this site is gravel with no cement slab of any kind. Yuma area has a big problem with this issue.

I have always thought that having a dog cooped up in an RV as a RVer travels was cruel and unusually punishment:):):)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the camp ground issues are unruly kids, drunk, loud music, and the occasional barking or vicious dog.

I travel with a certified service dog and carry all his documents & vet records when traveling. I find most dog owners carry doggie poop bags and RV parks have pet areas many with bags. The worst behaved dogs are the ones riding in grocery carts at the local Walmart.