cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transport toys once trailer is set up?

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Most the time I camp and ride the ATV in the same place but on a couple occasions it would have been nice to be able to transport my ATV to another area. Most the time its not feasible to pack up the toy hauler just to transport the ATV. Has anyone came up with a slick solution for this?
I have been looking at the Harbor Freight 4x8 folding trailer thinking that it would set against my ramp door inside the hauler for transport then rolled out of the trailer and unfolded for use.
I have a bumper pull trailer and a short box Ram pickup so I could do something in the pickup box but I hate to loose my bed cover as well as the dry secure storage in the bed plus the Can-Am Outlander Max is close to 8 foot long so it would be a tight fit in a short box.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.
25 REPLIES 25

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Couldn't you just unpin the hitch from the truck and leave it attached to the fifth wheel pin after lowering the landing gear?

I tried that once and it didn't work, it bound up. Then when you go to reconnect you'll have to drop it in the bed and position it by hand, you'll never align it properly.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dad has an Anderson hitch They are light. 30-35 lbs. no chucking at all on his way 40' toyhauler. He uses it in his short bed Duramax. And easy to remove.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Bedlam
Couldn't you just unpin the hitch from the truck and leave it attached to the fifth wheel pin after lowering the landing gear?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
When the time comes (when we get a SxS) it'll be fairly easy for us. We've got a B&W rollover, I'll disassemble the hitch, push it to the front, and carry the SxS in the bed.

Only did this once, kind of a pia. Camped Utah away from trail heads with 2 ATVs. Put one in dually bed, made 'custom' ATV trailer out of an 8' ramp and a take-apart boat trailer frame. Worked pretty good, just too much of a pain to load & unload the parts, assemble & disassemble.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Wow now that's B I T C H E N!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
campinghut wrote:
You could always replace your cover with something like this

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/atv-sxs-carriers

https://youtu.be/IRkmGvOMa9A

Link

I agree with this. seems like one of the easiest ways to transport it. I think it was Dirt Trax TV that showed a video from start to finish of the install. Didn't take long at all. Especially if you've don't it once or twice. You could store most of the pieces inside the toyhauler then install the diamondback ATV cover when you get to camp if you don't want it on the truck before then.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
mr. old style wrote:
ATVs moving at 5-8 mph!!!!!!
That's not the atvs fault that's the driver!!

I always find it interesting what we enjoy. I saw this guy on the dry lake with one of those home made Helicopter. I was amazed but I did mention to him I thought it was kind of crazy to fly one, he responded that it was Crazy to ride a dirt bike!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, the folding trailer would be the way to go. Keeps your truck open and still shouldn't take up too much room in your garage. Legal in all states!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a crew cab or is is a standard cab truck? I have a crew Ram and use the back seat area for the gear you are hauling in your bed. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 and use the fold up seat, fold out support pack with a tarp down to catch anything that falls. It protects my gear. I don't have a cover for the back of my truck as I use it. Maybe you could get a job box to hold your gear in the back and load your ATV behind it. When I had my one plus Outlander with my tool box I had to leave my tailgate down and just strap in the ATV. In general I don't think your going to have luck using the box without removing the cover. The trailer ideas would be great depending on the size of your toy hauler.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like some awesome trails. never ridden Colorado but want to, heard nothing but great things from friends that have ridden dual sport there.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
mr. old style wrote:

Colorado trail riding is great.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

mr__old_style
Explorer
Explorer

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Muddydogs wrote:
atwowheelguy wrote:
Try something new, a dual sport motorcycle. Just ride it to where you want to go off road. Also it will comfortably traverse the trail at two or three times the speed of an ATV.

Ya no. Doubt a dual spot runs 3 times faster then my 1000 plus you can't carry a quartered elk on a bike let alone the wife on the back.

Just offering an alternative for recreational trail riding. No offense intended. Just my personal observations on the trails in Colorado. ATVs moving at 5-8 mph, motorcycles at 15-25 mph on the same trails. Nope, not riding double or hauling an elk on a dirt bike. Different tools for different tasks. Good luck finding a solution on how to haul your ATV.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:
Try something new, a dual sport motorcycle. Just ride it to where you want to go off road. Also it will comfortably traverse the trail at two or three times the speed of an ATV.

Ya no. Doubt a dual spot runs 3 times faster then my 1000 plus you can't carry a quartered elk on a bike let alone the wife on the back.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.