cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Okanagan

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on the best places to spend a few days in the Okanagan this summer. My preference would be the provincial parks but so few of them have any hook ups in BC so that sort of cancels them out. I'm looking to spend a few days anywhere from Osoyoos to Vernon but haven't been overwhelmed by the RV parks in the area so I'm hoping somebody here can suggest a nice place in the area. Thanks!
Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
12 REPLIES 12

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try to schedule your visit around the ripening of your favorite tree fruit -- cherries, peaches, apricots, etc. Best fruit I ever had was in the Okanagan, and I am from sunny Calif.

But don't go overboard on the fruit. Don't ask how I know this.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The Okanagan is a 2 month vacation land whirlwind, thus the investment in land and infrastructure is far more than one can recover in any business model you can think of.

There are few full hook-up parks, at all. Penticton is in the middle, geographically and there are several full hook ups parks within the city.

http://www.pentictonlodging.worldweb.com/Campgrounds/

Use this as a reference guide...parks to beaches.

https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&q=RV+parks+in+penticton&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=49475868,-11...

Gary Haupt....in Penticton.
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
A favorite of ours that we keep going to is NkMip RV park in Osoyoos. There is full hook ups including 50A, free wifi, great washroom and laundry facilities and reasonable rates. There are lakeside sides on Osoyoos lake which is super warm and great for swimming. We stay in an area away from the lake but it is only a 5 minute walk through the campground to the lake. The great thing for us as well is that they are big rig friendly. It is also far enough from the highway that it is quiet.

We were there for 2 weeks this summer and have already booked for next summer.

We have also stayed at Swan Lake Resort which is beautiful, however it is fairly close to the highway so it is a bit noisy. They also have sewer holding tanks that must be pumped out daily so the pumper truck showing up at 8 am every morning became a bit old after a few days.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed 6 years in a row in Oliver at Apple Beach.
When the older single lady was running it with her son, it was awesome.
She sold it to a British couple and we stopped going there. These people were a disaster. Check the reviews on the internet.
I found out that they sold it, so, we might go back in spring for about 3 weeks.
it's a good base for exploring the area. They have a good internet connection which is important to me to stay in contact with family and business.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
sam22 wrote:
Yes as I said I'd love one of the provincial parks but Since none of them have any hookups that isn't really an option....I just can't believe that in an area as beautiful and popular as the Okangan there aren't some good options for places to stay. Most of the RV parks I've found seem to be the parking lot /sardine can variety...there must be one place in the region to camp that has some hookups, a little privacy, good location and is just a nice place to be. Beach access is nice but not essential.

Good morning.

Like I said, this one is quite nice and should work for you. Reservations a must.

https://www.swanlakervresort.com/
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Apple Beach in Oliver. Nothing special, smaller campsite, hookups, trees and on a small lake. Gallagher lake as well although I have never stayed there myself.

There are also a couple other private owned sites near Headley. Both overlooking the river.

I know the two near Headley are not really in the area you are planning but they are options I guess.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes as I said I'd love one of the provincial parks but Since none of them have any hookups that isn't really an option....I just can't believe that in an area as beautiful and popular as the Okangan there aren't some good options for places to stay. Most of the RV parks I've found seem to be the parking lot /sardine can variety...there must be one place in the region to camp that has some hookups, a little privacy, good location and is just a nice place to be. Beach access is nice but not essential.
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
sam22 wrote:
Something close to a beach would be nice...like I said I much prefer provincial parks to the jam packed rv parks but that isn't really an option in BC. Im just looking for recommendations from people who have camped in the area. Is dutch's nice? It has some pretty awful reviews.

Dutches is close to Kal Beach. A very nice beach. There is nothing about the campground itself that would be considered "nice". It has hookups, is close to a store and a beach.

If a beach is important I would look at Bear creek provincial park. We have camped there a few times and it is a great spot.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something close to a beach would be nice...like I said I much prefer provincial parks to the jam packed rv parks but that isn't really an option in BC. Im just looking for recommendations from people who have camped in the area. Is dutch's nice? It has some pretty awful reviews.
Camper:
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you looking for? There are no KOA's with full amenities that I know of. If you want a place near a gorgeous beach to kick back and relax there are a number to choose from. Dutch's near Vernon comes to mind.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
sam22 wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on the best places to spend a few days in the Okanagan this summer. My preference would be the provincial parks but so few of them have any hook ups in BC so that sort of cancels them out. I'm looking to spend a few days anywhere from Osoyoos to Vernon but haven't been overwhelmed by the RV parks in the area so I'm hoping somebody here can suggest a nice place in the area. Thanks!

Well, we are from Vernon and your right. The best locations are provincial parks. But if you want to stay in the Resort type places then swan lake Rec resort in Vernon is a nice reasonable central spot. Careful, there are three campgrounds with the name “swan lake in them.

https://www.swanlakervresort.com

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Miss a beautiful place because of no hookups? Not me..no way...ever.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad