cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV site as a home base?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how it works out to live in your RV full time but to own a site somewhere as a "home base"? In other words if one wanted to full-time in an RV and be free to travel around quite a bit but not all of the time so have a known place to anchor; probably in the warm part of the country but not necessarily. Or better to just find a site to rent; maybe with seasonal rates?
Jayco-noslide
21 REPLIES 21

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
oldgrape, there are so many different situations to describe on here. The lot we own is in a residential area. Permissible on the lot is a mobile, single wide, double wide, stick built, two RVs. There are gated places, places with sewer, or septic. We have been coming to Yuma for 14 years, and when we first got here, we had never seen anything like this scenario in all our years of travel. If you go to Craigs List, Yuma, AZ. under rentals and for sales. There are pictures with many that you can look at, but doesn't give a real picture. There are so many options. Quite a few are for sale by owner and some with real estate agents. There is really only one way to become familiar with the situations and that is take no less than a week with an area visit. Another thing is the real estate agents. Don't know if this an area thing or what but I don't trust them anymore than an RV salesperson! If I can be of more help, just PM me.

Oldgrape
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
We have an RV lot in the Foothills area of Yuma, AZ. Two FHU 50 amp hookups. Two sheds. We can rent the 2nd if we so desire. We are usually here October thru mid April. The rest of the time we are on the road mostly in Idaho and Montana.

We are about 2 years away from retiring and are looking at various snowbird locations to create a "home base". You mention Yuma and I have seen many RV 55+ communities there from city center to the Foothills area. Can you provide any insight on the various areas (good/bad/in-between) there in Yuma. Also has anyone looked at the Augusta, GA area for possible wintering?
Galen & Amy
2006 Winnebago TOUR 40KD
Joined 06/2014
USN Retired

Oregon_Viatorem
Explorer
Explorer
Great reply Smitty! The โ€œphasesโ€ you mention are a really good point.
I recently learned about RV resorts in AZ that come with detached โ€œcasitaโ€. Something like that may satisfy my need for a garage. Wouldnโ€™t be a nice spacious 3 or 4 bay shop... but, trade offs! Selling my house may need to fund the purchase of said lot(s) and an RV. We shall see. Thatโ€™s definitely going โ€œall inโ€.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of variables, and my view is the importance of one variable over another changes as time goes by. We know several members of the Escapees, who have a 'home base' space in one of the Escapees CO-OP's. Some have two or more places. For example we know people who have a site in Eevergreen CO-OP in Cmimacum Washington, and then another site in the Jojoba CO-OP in southern California. Same with a few we know who have sites in Oregon Suthelin's Timber Valley CO-OP's with sites also in Saguaro CO-OP in Benson Arizona.

These are members whom have full timed for decades, and now have a Northern and Southern base. Many have Park Models on their sites.

Same thing happens quite often with Idaho private RV Parks like Idaho, Dakota, Wyoming, etc. - and then go to Arizona, or Alabama, or Rio Grande Valley, or Florida for winter.

I'm rambling a bit here:)! But depending upon the phase you're in. Early phase of more frequent traveling, getting out and going around the country. Vs more towards the later phases with less frequent miles and travels, and enjoying a home base, or two...

My wife and I have kept a Stick & Brick home in San Diego. Now our 'vacation' home, where MIL lives full-time. We're Domiciled in South Dakota, and follow the laws remaining out of California for the times per year required. (We travel 8-9 months a year, and do San Diego check in on MIL and catch up maintenance for her on this 'vacation' home. We'll probably sell it when MIL is no longer able to live their on her own.

As we travel, we're constantly scouting out locations for 'mini home bases'. For example, we like the Prescott, AZ area. And may buy a few acres of land with a home and put a RV Barn on it which includes a living area within it too. (Sort of a combo RV Barn/Casita.). We'd rent the house out, and retain the RV Barn/Casita for our longer term winter home base. (Though it can get down right cold in Prescott, it usually does not have snow stick for any period of time:)!).

We're not golfer's, but see many people that choose locations for home bases that include golfing privileges too.

One other factor we've noted. More people we know have been buying sites at popular winter locations, say Florida as an example - because it can become such a PITA finding a site in a park during peak snowbird season. And many of them have made 'winter friend's' and wish to have a site in a specific park available for them to be with their friends. With the increase in RV sells, and the increase of Baby Boomer's now jumping into this lifestyle in quantity - the demand for sites in popular snowbird area's is only going to increase...

The above ramblings are just some of the many variables involved on why, how many, where, people choose to establish home base(s) - or not!

Best to you,
Smitty

Oregon_Viatorem
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone.... 1st post here on RVNet. WOOT! This topic immediately caught my eye, as this is a topic I am currently pondering as well.

We love the idea of the "full-time" RV life, but in reality we need to have a "home base" here in OR within ~2hour drive from my ageing mother-in-law. Winters will likely be spent in AZ, NV, SoCal. Likely domicile in SD or FL for the income tax break.

The conundrum: Keeping a house or condo seems silly, to me at least. Why maintain a house or condo when the RV should be the "condo" right? But...I really love having a big garage/shop where I can work on my Jeep (the toad), work on the RV, store the 2nd car, etc. Storage is also needed, and will always be (long story).

So, my idea is finding a semi-rural lot (1 acre or so); building a 3-4 car garage/shop with an attached 1-bedroom apartment. Single-level (no stairs). Adjacent to the garage/apartment is the RV pad with FHU, 50amp. Between the RV and garage is a large outdoor living space, patio, BBQ, etc. The apartment is merely to comply with zoning regulation, or perhaps live in it if needed when we are there. Renting the RV site is also an idea when we are on the road.

Maybe I will get lucky and find a lot with a cottage like someone here described. Then all I need is the Garage and RV pad.

So much to ponder... LOL

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all the good advice I think, if we ever were to go FT, I would probably try to develop a relationship with a campground whereas I would know I would have a site to stay at, long term if desired, at a seasonal rate. Could still go the purchasing route later if desired.
Jayco-noslide

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Your $1800 total seasonal site comes to nearly the same cost as our year round full hookup site next to our cottage. Plus we get the cottage thrown in for free in that comparison... ๐Ÿ˜‰

And no, we're not "flipping real-estate". The cottage was originally built by my father-in-law in 1947, and we have no interest in selling it. Our daughters frequently use it during the year, especially during the summer boating and swimming season and the winter cross-country skiing and ice fishing season.

If you already have the site and will keep it regardless of the camping situation, of course it comes out pretty well as the incremental cost is minimal.

That doesn't really apply for the OP has he will have to factor in the cost of buying land, upgrading the land, ongoing costs and eventual sales costs.

Might break even in the long run but as you say, the annual costs are likely about the same. But if the OP buys, the money sunk into the land is a lot less liquid and if it doesn't work out, there is a good chance of significant losses.

Spending a year or two with a seasonal site to make sure you like the lifestyle and area makes a lot of sense.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an RV lot in the Foothills area of Yuma, AZ. Two FHU 50 amp hookups. Two sheds. We can rent the 2nd if we so desire. We are usually here October thru mid April. The rest of the time we are on the road mostly in Idaho and Montana.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I like the co-op or condo parks that take care of all maintenance and have low โ€œbuy inโ€ and low ongoing maintenance costs.

The escapee parks look good to me...visiting the one in Wachula Florida next week. In central Florida I toured Ancient Oaks in Okeechobee yesterday. very reasonable and well maintained. (Ancient Oaks is 55+, Escapee parks vary).

These can be very hard to sell...you really need to take your time before buying, renting makes a lot more sense until you have a very definite and consistent plan.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another option. Have you checked out Escapees RV Club. They have co-op parks in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, and Washington State. You put yourself on a waiting list for an opening for a lot. Pay for the lot, and at some point you decide to move on to other parts of the country you put your lot up for resale and you get all your money back. Something worth checking into.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We have a lakeside cottage in the Adirondacks Our costs to maintain the cottage including utilities and taxes only come to a couple of thousand dollars a year, much less than what a year round RV park site would cost in most places.

Last couple years we've had a seasonal site (with year round storage included if we choose) for $1600 in southern Michigan. Only thing extra is electricity which totaled about $200 last year.

Now if you are flipping real-estate and happen to use it as a site, that can work but I wouldn't count on making money unless you have a history of investing in real-estate. This is particularly true if you need to hire out work to add driveways and utilities.

Your $1800 total seasonal site comes to nearly the same cost as our year round full hookup site next to our cottage. Plus we get the cottage thrown in for free in that comparison... ๐Ÿ˜‰

And no, we're not "flipping real-estate". The cottage was originally built by my father-in-law in 1947, and we have no interest in selling it. Our daughters frequently use it during the year, especially during the summer boating and swimming season and the winter cross-country skiing and ice fishing season.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We have a lakeside cottage in the Adirondacks Our costs to maintain the cottage including utilities and taxes only come to a couple of thousand dollars a year, much less than what a year round RV park site would cost in most places.

Last couple years we've had a seasonal site (with year round storage included if we choose) for $1600 in southern Michigan. Only thing extra is electricity which totaled about $200 last year.

Now if you are flipping real-estate and happen to use it as a site, that can work but I wouldn't count on making money unless you have a history of investing in real-estate. This is particularly true if you need to hire out work to add driveways and utilities.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold last summer 2 lots that we had for over 20 years. Over that time period we saw many lots of "full timers" that used lot as home base. Within hour of medical and no income tax state. Neighbors right of us, he died and she wouldn't drive motorhome. She left it parked and picked up a trailer and lot in snow bird county and then she flew in between. Motorhome was her "home base".

We still have rv site in AZ that we use as "home base" for center of operations when we're south. Great to boondock but also great to come back to washers and drier and elec.

Only thing I don't like about "home base" set up is I bet I have about 2 of everything (tools, etc)

In my opinion most places that "full timers" hang out at, it really doesn't matter how new or old park is, there are good people everywhere it seems.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Tough question for sure. I think you do need a home base if for nothing else just a place to return to and call home. Where it is, hard question. That depends on how you think or have family.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.