cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of a pusher 2

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the solid tips on my first post regarding roof systems. Helps a lot. All the campers I have had in the past I think I have spent more time on the roof applying sealant than I have actual camping. But not leaks, as far as I know.

So now another question. Slide out mechanics???? I am guessing there are a few different ones out there and I am guessing that some are better than others. I recently viewed a 2017 gaser with a large full wall slide. It has cables pulling it in and out and Teflon rollers underneath. Not knowing anything about slides I wondered if this was a good thing or not so good thing.

Once again, thank you in advance and I look forward to the input.

All my other rigs were straight models with no slides.

Carl
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C
9 REPLIES 9

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We have the full wall slide with Power Gear and it seems pretty bullet proof and really opens up the unit inside. The smaller slides are Schwintek which can be a pain in the keester.

For Winnebago, I believe all the slides before 2012 were Power Gear, and they went back to them for 2017 it appears.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Buffettphan wrote:
Thank you all for the solid tips on my first post regarding roof systems. Helps a lot. All the campers I have had in the past I think I have spent more time on the roof applying sealant than I have actual camping. But not leaks, as far as I know.

So now another question. Slide out mechanics???? I am guessing there are a few different ones out there and I am guessing that some are better than others. I recently viewed a 2017 gaser with a large full wall slide. It has cables pulling it in and out and Teflon rollers underneath. Not knowing anything about slides I wondered if this was a good thing or not so good thing.

Once again, thank you in advance and I look forward to the input.

All my other rigs were straight models with no slides.

Carl

IMO, full wall slides are a no, no and cable drives, also. In fact any that require more than one motor, I try and avoid. POWERGEAR electrics are my choice and really don't see the need for hydraulic drives. I like them easily released for cranking them in and out manually, as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
MM, yes the vents and pipes have not been resealed as no cracking. On one edge of the shower skylight there was some cracking so instead of removing and resealing I put silicone over that area filling in the cracks.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I have never resealed the roof of my 04 Monaco Dynasty and all four of my slides have always worked in the 13 years I've owned. I have my doubts about full wall slides and any slide that use cables.

Cables are a cheap way of moving a slide. What else has the manufacturer gone cheap on?

Ivylog, when you say 'reseal', are you talking about the sealant around the vents and pipes?

I resealed the caulking on our '08 Dynasty at about 3 yrs of ownership. I noticed a little leaking around the Fantastic Vent in the toilet room. So, I bought several tubes of Dicor and sealed EVERYTHING on the roof. No more leaks and easy to use.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Deaton
Explorer
Explorer
We had a four slide Monaco DP.

Two slides were hydraulic. Worked good, no problems except a pump seal leak, easily fixed.

One slide was gear driven. It was ok.

The fourth slide was cable driven. Lots of problems. Adjustment issues, frayed cables, etc.

Would never buy another coach with a cable actuated slide.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have never resealed the roof of my 04 Monaco Dynasty and all four of my slides have always worked in the 13 years I've owned. I have my doubts about full wall slides and any slide that use cables.

Cables are a cheap way of moving a slide. What else has the manufacturer gone cheap on?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Bruce_Brown
HWH enjoys a good reputation, and many builders use it. Newmar builds their own and it's the same basic design today as it has been since day 1. It's a good unit. They are using an HWH on their new More Floor units.

The Schwintek system some are currently using has had some issues. Do a search, they're easy to find.

The cable systems have had mixed reviews. Hopefully someone chime in with more info.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
The 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor we owned for 11 years had a Power Gear slide system with electric motor, rails, and gears. It worked perfectly with only one minor adjustment that I accomplished myself.

Edit after my poor memory worked: I did have to replace several shear pins until I learned to buy the correct grade bolt.
Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
HWH
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU