cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Water Heater Bypass

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had a 3 valve system and a one valve system but I have never had a two valve system. I am beginning the process of winterizing and want to bypass the hot water heater and am a little perplexed.

Cold line in on the bottom, Hot line on the top. If I shut the cold line valve it would stop water from going into the hot water tank but wouldn't it stop the water from circulating?

What are your thoughts
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
19 REPLIES 19

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom valve is likely a three way valve.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
Ever wonder why we call it a "hot water" heater when its function is to heat "cold water"?

I have. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nope.......

I just call it a 'water heater'........heater already implies heat which refers to HOT

Just like a furnace. It isn't called a hot air heater although that is what it's function is.....to heat air

:B

Some folks get in a tizzy over calling it a 'hot water heater' just like they do about a thread posted in the 'wrong' forum. :H

This past week I was real happy we had a hot water heater and a hot air heater....it was a tad cool up in the mtns boondocking.
Looked forward to those 'HOT' items :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
dalenoel wrote:
You will bypass when winterizing so you do not need to fill the HW tank with the pink stuff.

Or so that you don't have to fill a 6 gallon reservoir with air to blow out your lines ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
Ever wonder why we call it a "hot water" heater when its function is to heat "cold water"?

I have. ๐Ÿ™‚

Obviously because it's function in heating the cold water (which soon ceases to be cold water, becoming lukewarm, warm, and finally hot) is to make hot water. It distinguishes it from other heaters, I guess.

I have an oil-fired hot air furnace in my house. It isn't a cold air furnace; and if for some reason it becomes one, I need to phone a repairman pronto or suffer the consequences. I guess it doesn't bug me in the least that a hot water heater is similarly named.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
On that system you close the HOT valve and Switch the COLD (Lower) the lower valve is a 3-way.

On SIngle valve systems, the top valve is replaced with a check valve that limes up and fails to either open or close.. Making your 2-valve much better.

In addition, you don't have the annoying check valve squeal.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On that system you close the HOT valve and Switch the COLD (Lower) the lower valve is a 3-way.

On SIngle valve systems, the top valve is replaced with a check valve that limes up and fails to either open or close.. Making your 2-valve much better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:

I have. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was thinking about that, right after I meditated on "giant shrimp" and "drunken lady". :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II

I have. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
No check valves used in that set up

Just a '3-way' valve on cold inlet/bypass and a shutoff valve in hot out
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
The bottom is a two way valve, it either lets through straight or shuts off straight and sends it the other way like it should. The top valve is an on/off valve only. If you send water upward with the bottom valve, you want to make sure the top valve is shut off.

Once you have them set to go up on the bottom, and not go into the HWT on the top, you will send cold water to all your taps, both hot and cold. HWT will be bypassed.

This worked perfectly. It's amazing how much clear water comes out of the shower line (further-est from the pump) before the pink stuff comes out...
Thanks for the help everybody...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will bypass when winterizing so you do not need to fill the HW tank with the pink stuff.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Is the bypass just in case there is a problem with the heater or is there another reason
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Artum Snowbird wrote:
The bottom is a two way valve, it either lets through straight or shuts off straight and sends it the other way like it should. The top valve is an on/off valve only. If you send water upward with the bottom valve, you want to make sure the top valve is shut off.

Once you have them set to go up on the bottom, and not go into the HWT on the top, you will send cold water to all your taps, both hot and cold. HWT will be bypassed.

/\ /\ /\ This /\ /\ /\

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:

Why, it appears that the hot water outlet a check valve on it the same as used on a single valve bypass. The only plus to this setup is you could replace the check valve or
hot water tank without shutting off water to the trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"