cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilizer jack recommendations?

JandKSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! Our 1995 30' Winnebago Adventurer doesn't have any stabilizing jacks, which looking through the forum, seems to be a rarity in Class A motorhomes. We don't quite have the money to get a fancy hydraulic system, and I wasn't sure how stable those regular jacks are that bolt on to the frame and wind down. Not to mention, they look kind of odd on the pictures I've seen.
Do y'all have any recommendations on some stabilizer jacks? It'd be nice to walk out of the RV without that "I just stepped off of a boat" feeling. lol!

Thanks,
Johnny
2 REPLIES 2

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Facing similiar situtation. We have the old atwood level legs electric Jacks on our motor home. One or more almost never work each time we retract the Jacks to leave. I've checked about every source I can or want to. Atwood has a new generation of electric Jacks and recommend I change out the entire system. The old ones don't work and I'm not going to trust the new ones simply because the old adage of fool me once your fault, fool me twice my fault, apply here. I checked two more sources. HWH and Equalizer systems. One is about $6000 and the other is about $4600. Checked with a trusted RV service manager and his jack tech. The recommendation HWH. My experience agreed with the same. Had HWH on last 5 coaches and never had a problem. I did have a camping world install HWH jacks on a class A similiar to yours about 18 years ago and never had a problem with them either. May be costly but if you want something reliable that you will not have to worry about working I'd go with HWH. That's what I'm doing.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe consider making up a list of all the RV salvage yards you might have the occasion to pass during your travels. Than visit or call them and try to make a deal on a used system. They do make electric jacks for Class A rigs that require the same installation effort those wind up and down scissor jacks do. But they work with much less effort.

If that doesn't work for you, try this: Scissor Jack 2.5 ton

I've heard that some installed them upside down so the 'foot' of the jack is attached to the RV frame, and a custom made round concave steel plate welded to the scissor jack contacts the ground.

Problem with any scissor jack is having to crank them up and down...a chore. So most buy an electric battery operated 1/2" drill and set it up to do the work. It gets attached to an extension rod, as you're aware. More stuff to store and care for.

Scissor jacks would not support the weight of a RV to change tires, but they will add stability so you won't have rocking. I've seen it done on a Class A but don't know how it worked for them long term. They were happy with them though at the time.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.