cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motorcycle towing?

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to figure a way to tow my 900 Lb. Harley behind my 32' Montana 5th wheel. I saw a trailer towing a motorcycle with the front wheel ub in carrier and rear tire on pavement. Any other safe ideas?
17 REPLIES 17

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Mel B. wrote:
Winged One wrote:
centerline wrote:
its legal in 2 western states. califonia and arizona. but its not in oregon, idaho, washington, montana or nevada...

When did Idaho, Montana and Nevada ban it for 5th wheels? I couldn't find any source on-line that states that those States ban double (or triple, whatever someone wants to call it) towing with 5th wheels (Swivel trailers are only for use behind 5th wheels not travel trailers).

I drove all through Montana in 2013 with my Swivel Wheel without an issue. Sad if it has changed.

How much wieght do the 2 tires absorb on the swivel wheels. If I loaded a 1000 lb. bike on it how much of that 1000 lbs. is actualy added to the 5th wheel frame?

Here is part of a FAQ from the manufacturers website.

What kinds of tongue weights should I expect with the Swivelwheel system?
Tongue weights vary with the system and weights associated with that system. An example of a tongue weight using the Swivelwheel-58 system with a 690 pound HD Fat Boy centered on the deck is shown below.
Weights with HD Fat Boy Motorcycle
HD Fat Boy Motorcycle (Centered) 690 Pounds
System Weight 404 Pounds
Weight at the system tire 574 Pounds
Total Weight 1094 Pounds
Tongue Weight 501 Pounds

Keep in mind they are talking about the single wheel not the double. The double just increases capacity.

https://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheelfaq

And from another page:

The Swivelwheel-58 system will have about a
50/50 split.
With the system at load capacity of 1000 pounds, this would relate to
650 lbs at the tire and 650 lbs at the receiver hitch.
The Swivelwheel-58DW will have the same
50/50 split as the Swivelwheel-58 and give a tongue
weight and tire load of around 795 lbs at maximum load capacity.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/6810ce63/files/uploaded/swivelwheelrequirements_yfwAVY3zTmOaxRcB6gxM.pdf

The information seems incongruous. But figure on the high side 60% of total weight on the hitch seems a safe bet to figure out if your trailer can handle it.

Keep in mind, they recommend a 30ft 5th with at least 10k dry weight. I recommend a thick 12 inch I beam minimum, or have a qualified frame and welding shop take a look.

Our trailer is 12.5k dry and 14.5k loaded with a GVWR of 15.5k.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Winged One wrote:
centerline wrote:
its legal in 2 western states. califonia and arizona. but its not in oregon, idaho, washington, montana or nevada...

When did Idaho, Montana and Nevada ban it for 5th wheels? I couldn't find any source on-line that states that those States ban double (or triple, whatever someone wants to call it) towing with 5th wheels (Swivel trailers are only for use behind 5th wheels not travel trailers).

I drove all through Montana in 2013 with my Swivel Wheel without an issue. Sad if it has changed.

How much wieght do the 2 tires absorb on the swivel wheels. If I loaded a 1000 lb. bike on it how much of that 1000 lbs. is actualy added to the 5th wheel frame?

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
centerline wrote:

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Mel you can do whatever whenever, just dont expect it to last. HD did not cover a warrenty claim on bike that had flags and poles attached as they siad the bike was not designed for that type of resistance that the flags caused. No if the trans somehow goes into gear what do you think will happen and it will not be covered by warranty if one exists. remember it will cause the engine to turn over and may not let the oil pump pump sufficient and no telling what the trans results will be. I saw a subaru that had gone into gear at a dealer and the engine was trashed and the trans had major repairs due! Just remember people do crazy stuff all the time, just remember what you folks said about others who stuck their hands in a fire and then they asked if you wanted to do that also.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
I've hauled our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing (right at 900 lbs) two ways. The first was on a Hydralift on the back of our coach and we just loved it that way. But, things changed and we now haul it on a Rampage lift, in the back of our 2nd toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4.

I too have considered using a swivel wheel (or, there are TWO SWIVEL WHEEL models) trailer. I've been told by the manufacturer(s) (yes, there are several out there) that they ARE EXTENSIONS of the frame. But, like you are looking into, we've not looked into EACH AND EVERY STATE, to see just what their rules are. I'm the kind that needs to see things in writing before I make a large investment.

There are some 5vrs out there that are capable of a Hydralift and that kind of weight but, one would need to find all that out before purchasing the trailer. And, by the way, HYDRALIFT is not the only one that's capable of 1000 lbs. Cruiserlift, Blue Ox, and Overbuilt are all capable and listed as 1,000 lb. capable.

Interpreting each states laws when this kind of thing is investigated is sometimes quite a task. Since state law makers in most cases, are clueless when it comes to wording and specifics so that us regular, standard citizens can understand the meaning and, what does and what does not apply. Good luck on your search.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
you do realize that with a belt drive you will not be able to tow with the wheel down! if it was a chain you could break at the master link and the wheel would free will. No the days of towing as described are about gone except for dirt bikes.

BTW taking the belt off to tow would take the efforts of shop to take off and replace.

Yes I do, I was just saying what I saw on HWY. 101 last week. The guy was pulling a bagger just the way I described. And it was as new as mine, so it was a belt drive.

Mel

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
centerline wrote:
towing a trailer behind a trailer is not legal in all states.. the motorcycle towed behind a 5th wheel would be considered another towed device/trailer... its legal in 2 western states. califonia and arizona. but its not in oregon, idaho, washington, montana or nevada...

Yes I'm finding that out. I think for me the swivelwheel is the only way to go. Hopefully it is considered a "Frame exstension" and not a trailer.
Mel

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
towing a trailer behind a trailer is not legal in all states.. the motorcycle towed behind a 5th wheel would be considered another towed device/trailer... its legal in 2 western states. califonia and arizona. but its not in oregon, idaho, washington, montana or nevada...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
My motorcycle trailer. Northern Tools Ultra-Tow 4x8. 1170# capacity. My mods were a nose wheel jack, SAE dimension axle, 84 mph tires, small HF winch, HF wheel chock. A spare tire holder has been incorporated into the left rear stake pocket to give me something to grab on to when loading and unloading. Only around 250# and easy to roll around. NT also has a 5x8 @ 1715#.
Currently Between RVs

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
you do realize that with a belt drive you will not be able to tow with the wheel down! if it was a chain you could break at the master link and the wheel would free will. No the days of towing as described are about gone except for dirt bikes.

BTW taking the belt off to tow would take the efforts of shop to take off and replace.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Mel B. wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
check out
www.cruiserlift.com

I found that on a google search, really seems nice. Not a bad price either. I guess that would be considered a extra trailed since it has one tire?
Mel

Manufacturer and apparently SOME states and other jurisdictions consider it an extension of the trailer frame, the claim is that since it is not on a separate ball hitch it doesnt qualify as a second trailer. Have to believe it would be up to how the cop felt on a given day as to if it would be a problem.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
check out
www.cruiserlift.com

I found that on a google search, really seems nice. Not a bad price either. I guess that would be considered a extra trailer since it has one tire?
Mel

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I do motorcycle shows with my sidecar outfit and I pull mine on a 3 rail single axle trailer. I also use it to haul my quads. I would be leery about hauling a bike with the back tires on the pavement, especially back there where you cannot see it. Tire failure (on the bike tire) could be catastropic.

Yeah that concerned me also. But whatever I get I'll buy a camara also so I can see what's going on back there.
Mel

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I do motorcycle shows with my sidecar outfit and I pull mine on a 3 rail single axle trailer. I also use it to haul my quads. I would be leery about hauling a bike with the back tires on the pavement, especially back there where you cannot see it. Tire failure (on the bike tire) could be catastropic.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB