cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What battery should I buy?

jstaffon
Explorer
Explorer
My new Rockwood came with two Exide batteries, 12v wired in parallel. I've thought about going to 6 volt batteries in series but they are too heavy for me to lift in and out of my 5th wheel...not to mention the cost. I'm interested in everyone's opinion on the best brand and configuration. I've looked at Trojan 27TMX and SCS225 and other brands like Interstate and Exide. Haven't been too impressed with my current Exides. Someone also told me about "Deka Marine/RV" but haven't ever heard of it. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---
24 REPLIES 24

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet putting the CCA rating on the case is probably a marketing tool.

I own a couple of East Penn's Pure Lead AGM batteries. They work out fine. I don't know if it is still published but Deka had a whole white paper w/testing about their AGM batteries. It was pretty eye-opening at the extremes they went to, to test batteries.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
CROWN 6 VOLTS 235 Amp Hours
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Well they do have 2 types of batteries. Only one of them is dual purpose on the AGM chart.
Even the 6 volt AGM deep cycle has CCA rating.

Intimidator Starting and Cycling Service batteries
means high starting and moderate deep cycle power.
Ideal for boaters that want high cranking power and
still enjoy dependable power for more electronic
accessories.

The Sams club battery is the 8A31DTM but it is branded as Duracell 31DTMAGM heavy duty deep cycle.
Intimidator Heavy-Duty Deep Cycle batteries have
more fish-finding trolling and accessory power. Ideal
for heavy deep cycle demands, with moderate
starting power. Provides advanced protection against
the typical deep discharge of extended trolling use.

East Penn / Dekka AGM batteries

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lifeline Deep Cycle AGM quote an cold cranking amp number. So do Rolls.

theoldwizard1 wrote:

To me, any battery that advertises a Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating is NOT a true deep discharge battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Theses batteries made by East Penn don’t need water so you won’t have to move them to check. Good reviews. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod...

To me, any battery that advertises a Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating is NOT a true deep discharge battery.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. We camp with hookup all the time.. I use 12 volt interstate battery and usually get about 5 years of service.. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at Interstate batteries in 12V. If you lose one 6V battery you are out of luck. I have 2 Group 24 12V in my camper from 2012 and they still are going strong. I may have jinxed them!!! Ha.

Do a little shopping to get best prices, I got two size 94 for my Dodge 1 ton and got quotes for $250 each and found them at a local auto parts store for $165 each.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Theses batteries made by East Penn don’t need water so you won’t have to move them to check. Good reviews. https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod...
Yep...that is the company that makes the Deka battery. Very good battery if you stick with 12V.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
jstaffon wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
How much money is too much for a battery? as in what is your budget per battery?
Why do you have to move the batteries so much? .....to fill them with water?

For $180 each you can get an AGM deep cycle 105 amp hour 12 volt made by East Penn/Dekka that has almost ZERO maintenance and is more forgiving than flooded batteries....made in USA.

I guess I don't move them much but when I do move them it's very hard for me to bend over with that much weight. I've had a couple back surgeries. I guess the more I think about it, I only moved them in my old camper. My new Rockwood has a switch to isolate the camper from the batteries so I can leave them in the camper. $180/each is well within my budget. Would the DC31DT be a comparable battery?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“I guess the more I think about it,..”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
I would go with 12v Interstate batteries. They were always my preference.

What ever you choose, make sure they are TRUE deep cycle batteries. They will last longer than dual purpose "marine/RV" batteries.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with 12v Interstate batteries. They were always my preference.

So there you go, we all have our own personal preferences. The choice is yours. :@

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
According to Trojan specs their T105 (GC2) battery weight 62 lbs

SC225 weights 66 lbs
27TMX weights 55 lbs

Druacell GC2 are 60 lbs

time2roll wrote:
Get the 6 volters. Get help if needed to put them in.

Concur !

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the 6 volters. Get help if needed to put them in.