Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

white spots on windshield

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
good day and hello,

we have a 2015 winnebago 24g view, it has the overhead sleeping area above the driver/passenger seat. what we have been noticing is that there is white spots on our windshield that looks like it is dripping from the over head area when it rains or when there is dew in the morning. the color of the over head is brown but white underneath. it almost seems like the paint is running but looking over the finish, it looks fine. wondering if anyone else out there has this issue and what the cause might be and how to fix it.
we are getting ready to head to florida and we plan on washing and waxing the entire MH, not sure if that is going to fix the problem but i have never noticed anything like this before.
any ideas suggestions? also the bottom of the area of the overhang has a clear plastic protection so there is only about an inch or two that is actually bare paint.
thanks everyone.
18 REPLIES 18

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:
Once you use " " product to clean the water spots etc off the windshield.
Its a good time now to do a final step and clay bar the windshield.
You'll be amazed how more stuff it will clean off.
Then put a couple of coats of Reload paint sealant or your favorite glass treatment
IE: Rain-X,, etc

My car detailer who installed my clear bra and paint sealant uses the Reload on all painted and glass surfaces , works great on the windshield !
Bug splatter etc, cleans right off easy

I've been using Rain-X washer fluid for a while in my vehicles. I've decided it's well worth it. the concept is not unlike what is used in aircraft....rain repellent to encourage beading and shedding of water.

Home depot sells commercial window cleaner. Dilute two capfuls in a gallon of water for all glass. I use it in my washer fluid tank instead of the premixed products.
My coach also drips the white drops, a quick wiping with my mixture keeps it in check.

Careful on using that Commercial window cleaner in the washer fluid tank, depending on the chemical ingredients used in it , it could possibly streak the paint.

The problem with diluting is there are the ones that think if a little is good allot is better... Guess that is where the Darwin awards come in and here's your sign... lol

Kinda like using dish soap to wash your vehicle instead of car wash soap !

Certain chemicals for certain applications. 😉

I researched both my product and pre-mixed washer fluid. The pre-mixed contains methanol, listed as a poison and ethylene glycol another poison, to control or

prevent freezing. My product recommends 4 capfuls per gallon for window cleaning, I use two. My product contains alcohols, ,dye and

fragrance.

The only dish soap I ever used ,based on a detailers recommendations 25 years ago, was Ivory liquid. That particular formula is no longer available. I have been

using

wash designed for cars and manufactured for the higher end wax manufacturers. Having owned classic vehicles with paint jobs costing 10K and up I know what

goes on paint and what doesn't. Here's your sign.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
OFDPOS wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:
Then put a couple of coats of Reload paint sealant or your favorite glass treatment

My car detailer who installed my clear bra and paint sealant uses the Reload on all painted and glass surfaces , works great on the windshield !

I've been using Rain-X washer fluid for a while in my vehicles. I've decided it's well worth it. the concept is not unlike what is used in aircraft....rain repellent to encourage beading and shedding of water.

Home depot sells commercial window cleaner. Dilute two capfuls in a gallon of water for all glass. I use it in my washer fluid tank instead of the premixed products.
My coach also drips the white drops, a quick wiping with my mixture keeps it in check.

Careful on using that Commercial window cleaner in the washer fluid tank, depending on the chemical ingredients used in it , it could possibly streak the paint.

The problem with diluting is there are the ones that think if a little is good allot is better... Guess that is where the Darwin awards come in and here's your sign... lol

I researched both my product and pre-mixed washer fluid. The pre-mixed contains methanol, listed as a poison and ethylene glycol another poison, to control or

prevent freezing. My product recommends 4 capfuls per gallon for window cleaning, I use two. My product contains alcohols, not listed as poisons ,dye and

fragrance.

The only dish soap I ever used ,based on a detailers recommendations 25 years ago, was Ivory liquid. That particular formula is no longer available. I have been

using

wash designed for cars and manufactured for the higher end wax manufacturers. Having owned classic vehicles with paint jobs costing 10K and up I know what

goes on paint and what doesn't. Here's your sign.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
For those stubborn baked on bugs, I use a Red Devil paint scraper used to remove paint from window glass. Has a razor blade that can be replaced if needed. If the scraper won't do it, I use 0000 Bronze Wool. Same stuff I use between coats of Verathane on wood.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dakzuki wrote:
OFDPOS wrote:

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS wrote:

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Some people will recommend using Bon Ami on automotive glass. I have done so to clean up mineral deposits. There is a caveat that you need to be aware of. The original 1886 formula is still around along with the newer more complex formulation. The 1886 formula is basically Feldspar and soap, while the modern formula has other abrasives and a warning not to use it on glass. I use either one to clean glass or porcelain coffee and tea pots; does a great job, but use plenty of water. The 1886 formula has a hardness of 6 on the Mohs scale. Here is where it gets tricky when you use it on automotive glass. Tempered glass has a surface that usually dials in at about 7, so you can use 1886 Bon Ami, but cautiously. However, windshield safety glass is softer and is about 6 to 6.5 hardness. The idea is to clean the surface and not scratch the glass or haze it. I use the 1886 Bon Ami on windshields after testing on an out of the way corner. Plenty of water, soft clean cloth and plenty of water. There are times when no matter what I do, the windshield wipers just don't seem to sweep the water off. Bon Ami works for me, but I don't make it a regular routine.
Steve

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Have the same spots...we use Boraxo to clean the windshild. Sort of like using 0000 wool, just in a can.

Gary

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
For tree sap use rubbing alcohol. Hand sanitizer will work too. You can speed up the process by putting the alcohol on a paper towel and let it soak for older dried sap.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
KCFDCapt wrote:
One of the best things to use to clean and polish glass is 0000 steel wool. It will not scratch the glass and yet it will clean minerals and road grime easily. Try it at home for windows and mirrors.

That works good.....IF you are dealing with "real" glass.

You should NOT do that, however, on rear view mirrors, headlights or on a glass pane that has tint applied. Some things that look like glass really are plastic.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our old rig, a Toyota/Mirage was famous for those white water drips from the over-hang above. I never found a real solution, only regular windshield cleanings.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Indeed the 0000 steel wool works, I first tried it on my old Ford Ranger's cracked windshield, thinking if it damaged it I was not out anything, but it worked, so I used it on my WBO View to remove those white spots from dripping from the cab over, in addition to microscopic pieces of bug debris that you simply cannot get off with normal cleaners and wiping.

I first saw it on Youtube on the RVGeeks channel,

https://youtu.be/D05vX-G9iV4

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Coleman Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Koni Red shocks (front & rear), Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror, MB grill conversion.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Goof Off might work for tree sap, kind of depends if the stuff is from evergreen trees or hardwoods. I've used diesel fuel to remove pitch that seems to drop on the windshield or pickup body in the summer when I've parked underneath pine or fir trees.