cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US Gear power module failure (Unified Tow Brake system)

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a breakaway test on my Jeep Wrangler and it failed. I could hear the auxiliary vacuum pump run, but the vehicle continued to roll.
(Test was done with the hand brake on and vehicle on a slight incline. I pulled the breakaway switch pin, got into the vehicle, released the handbrake and began to roll.)

After a little troubleshooting, found that the Power Module was defective. I purchased and installed a new Power Module and everything is back to functioning.

Curious me, I took the power module box apart (six screws) and examined it's internal circuit board. The fault was obvious - there is a fuse buss which is a wafer thin copper connection printed on the circuit board and it was blown.

I'm pretty sure that the blown copper bus fuse could be bridged with some soldering skills. I haven't tried soldering it yet. I thought I'd share this information with you Unified Tow Brake owners, FWIW.

(And it might be a good idea to do a real world roll-away breakaway test for all owners too.)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
2 REPLIES 2

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It is a great system but that module is the weak point. Our system is about 12 years old and am on the second module. Luckily I bought a couple of used systems so have lots of spare parts.

Moisheh

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the Heads-Up.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.