cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
I have charge house battery for 3hours and I check it and it only shows 11.58 volts it was showing 11.5 volt before I charge it, I just got my motorhome from cam ping world in which they had it for 3 week just wondering if they kept it plug in to power I guess what I would like to know is my battery no good or do I need to charge it longer?
17 REPLIES 17

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Danford50 wrote:
I check my battery and after three hour charging it show 72 amp out of 600 cca

How does it do that?

A battery labelled with Cold Cranking Amps is an engine starting battery - not a good house battery. Look for "deep cycle" and an amp hour rating if you buy a new one.

X2 on resting the battery for a few hours (24 hrs would be better) before trusting a voltage reading to give a useful state of charge. I last charged my house battery a month ago and it is reading 12.8 volts at -20C.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
When checking battery voltage after charging, the battery needs to "rest" before the voltage measurement is made. Let the battery sit for a few hours unloaded and then take a voltage reading. A fully charged rested battery should be very close to 12.7 volts with no load.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danford50 wrote:
hey thanks for all of your assistance, but I seen were my battery charger the negative cable the wire to it had melted and cause my negative cable not to work, so I replace it and now my battery it fully charge.
Excellent.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If your battery is over ten years old and has not been kept charged and electrolyte levels maintained, it probably needs replacing. Your converter/ charger in the motorhome must be working to keep the battery charged when rig is connected to 110vac/shore power. When connected to shore power, battery voltage should read 13.6 volts DC using voltmeter connected to battery terminals. RV engine running, voltage should read around 14 volts. A good battery, connected to a 10 amp charger should read around 13.6 volts DC when charged for some 12 hours.

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
hey thanks for all of your assistance, but I seen were my battery charger the negative cable the wire to it had melted and cause my negative cable not to work, so I replace it and now my battery it fully charge.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
There are several DIAGNOSTIC battery charges available. Most from Schaurer/sears.
They will analyze the battery and either tell ya its bad or send an error code. Sears had some 3amp charger maintainers and they do a good job. There is also a charger that is also a starter booster and then can also be a maintainer/charger again available at most auto stores.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Don't throw your battery out yet. There is lot of good advice here. Use the advice, then decide if the battery is shot or not.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Have your load battery tested - any auto parts/tire outlet will do for free.

In order to do a proper load test, it needs to be fully charged FIRST.

Two posts back, it sounds like he HAS a load tester already.

BUT.....not all "10 amp" chargers are created equal. I got a cheap CENTECH 2/10/50 from Harbor Freight and it is junk. The meter is not calibrated in amps so I can't be sure but it looks like it never comes anywhere close to 10 amps, even on a battery that is half discharged.

So....check the charging voltage. You might need to leave it connected for DAYS not hours.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Have your load battery tested - any auto parts/tire outlet will do for free.
Kevin

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Danford50 wrote:

How does it do that?

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Oh, that's not a good sign. After three hours at 10A I would expect a surface voltage of more than 12V.
I'd say that battery is gone.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Danford50 wrote:
using a 10 amp charger

What does your voltmeter show while it's charging?

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
using a 10 amp charger