cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EAA Airventure Oshkosh

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I'm heading for the big EAA airshow this year. We took the motorhome back in 2009 and I just stayed in the open field area. We were only staying three days then so it was no big deal. But we're both retired now so I want to go this year and stay for the entire show. I'd like to get one of the full hookup sites, but per the webpage they don't become available until the end of June. Anybody been to Airventure recently and been able to get one of the full hookup sites? I'm guessing it's going to be one of those deals where you have to be on the phone the second they become available and just hope you get through.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

15 REPLIES 15

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
On airport camping sites fill almost immediately but the off airport camps take reservation all year.
we get ours as we leave each year as do many.
make some calls see what is still open
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
wnytaxman wrote:
We ended up in one of the no hook up sites this past year. There are trucks that will come in and dump your tanks and fill your fresh tank up. You are also restricted on when you can run your generators so that also made things interesting. It had rained quite a bit before we got there and it was a bit of a challenge getting out but we did manage to make it.

Is the cost reasonable? It's about $40 a day more to have the hookups which is only water and power, so you would have to get pumped out anyway. When we stayed there in 2009 we stayed in the area where the generator had to be off by 10pm and it worked fine. He had usually cooled down by then so I could live without the A/C's by then.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
If you can't get in there, I can recommend Breezy Hill Campground (formerly a KOA) in Fond du Lac. Pleasant staff and decent sites with FHU.

Naw, ruins the whole trip if you don't stay on the grounds. We take the bikes and they have a big bike corral near one of the gates. So we ride the bikes back and forth from there to the motorhome. And they have events all way into the evening hours. My wife is usually done long before then so I can send her back to the RV and come back for the evening events. If I wasn't going to stay on the grounds then I'd just drive the car and stay in a hotel.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why is the default position always...โ€I need a full hookup?โ€ Less thinking...planning...required?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get in there, I can recommend Breezy Hill Campground (formerly a KOA) in Fond du Lac. Pleasant staff and decent sites with FHU.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"You are also restricted on when you can run your generators"

No restrictions on recharging with solar...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up in one of the no hook up sites this past year. There are trucks that will come in and dump your tanks and fill your fresh tank up. You are also restricted on when you can run your generators so that also made things interesting. It had rained quite a bit before we got there and it was a bit of a challenge getting out but we did manage to make it.
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
"...a truck that will come around..." is called a "honey wagon". For a fee (usually) dumps both tanks.

Another truck brings water if that truck is available. I don't think the same truck dumps your tanks then supplies clean water. Don't seem right.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Or, I understand they do have a truck that will come around and let you dump and I think even has fresh water. That would be the easiest.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
They don't open the reservations until the end of June. Hard to get them when they aren't available yet.

my understanding is that those with reservations for the current year have first opportunity to reserve for the following year.

That is not mentioned on the EAA website anyplace. I went ahead and made reservations for 8 days in the general camping area. You apparently have to call on or after June 29th to try and get upgraded to a site with electric and water, no sewer. They do have a dump station with water available, but that means closing up the slides and driving over there to do that. If my wife wasn't going I could last all 8 days without dumping or getting more water, but with the wife along I'm good for 4 days max, and that's pushing it. So I may end up having to go dump and get more water twice in the 8 days. I don't really mind doing that, I'm just wondering what the lines will be like. May have to get up at 4am and go do it to avoid the rush.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
They don't open the reservations until the end of June. Hard to get them when they aren't available yet.

my understanding is that those with reservations for the current year have first opportunity to reserve for the following year.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I'm heading for the big EAA airshow this year. We took the motorhome back in 2009 and I just stayed in the open field area. We were only staying three days then so it was no big deal. But we're both retired now so I want to go this year and stay for the entire show. I'd like to get one of the full hookup sites, but per the webpage they don't become available until the end of June. Anybody been to Airventure recently and been able to get one of the full hookup sites? I'm guessing it's going to be one of those deals where you have to be on the phone the second they become available and just hope you get through.

Good question. I'd be interested in the answer as well. I haven't been since my late teens and early twenties when I used to fly in with my dad, and my uncle who was Technical Editor or Private Pilot Magazine at the time. We used to drop right in a Cessna 206 with Robertson STOL modifications which then came became part of the Robertson display.
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you need a full hookup? Big motorhome and thoughtful use of water, youโ€™ll be fine. What, a hundred gallons of fresh water and black/grey?