cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 Winnebago Itasca Cambria

lindalp
Explorer
Explorer
We currently own a 27’ fifthwheel, which my husband has never gotten comfortable pulling/ maneuvering it, plus a lot of work setting up, and breaking down... much like the travel trailers, we’ve pulled for years. We have been considering buying a newer used c class mh, but since we are quickly approaching retirement, we have decided that that’s just too much money to “risk” on a used Motorhome, at our age. Today we looked at a few used 22’-24’ travel trailers...that left us questioning, if we really wanted to go that route, since it would still have the big set up/breakdown situation. So while looking at travel trailers today, I walked into the following B+ class mh, and felt “this is it” and we could afford “risking $36,000 a lot better than $57,000 or more. So.....

Considering this is a Winnebago, is a 2005 for $36,000. worth considering? It’s a very clean 26A. ... “B+” class. One slide-out. 47,078 miles. The outside is not faded at all, looks new, so must have been covered or garaged. It is at a used RV dealership nearby. We have a friend who is a Ford Mechanic, who could check out it’s Ford Triton V-10 engine for us. Any advise you care to share, would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
F1bNorm wrote:
If you haven't already, go to the Winnebago website. You can see/download the '05 sales brochure and all schematics. Then you can check if all the features (like airbags) are still in place.

We really like our '06 Aspect 23D but it has some age related quirks. The monster TV is outdated and if you remove it, the cavity will have to be finished. It is usable with an HD converter and DVD player

Yes indeed, the old CRT TV is a dinosaur and extremely heavy. I removed the factory face frame from the overhead TV enclosure on our previously owned 23D, removed the old TV and replaced it with a LED TV that sat just inside of where the opening is. The face frame was then installed in a slightly different position, sandwiching the LED screen in place. I thought I was going to have to do a bit of custom cabinet work but not so. Looked nearly as if it was made that way. Nice improvement.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't already, go to the Winnebago website. You can see/download the '05 sales brochure and all schematics. Then you can check if all the features (like airbags) are still in place.

We really like our '06 Aspect 23D but it has some age related quirks. The one that is a pain to fix is the outside brow over the windshield comes loose and rattles. The monster TV is outdated and if you remove it, the cavity will have to be finished. It is usable with an HD converter and DVD player
Check the following: they have either aged out or failed on our Aspect:
Tires and shocks, age and alignment problems
All detectors
Under sink water filter (Everpure) a bit pricey
Ours needed alignment, really helped handling
Leaks around the house water pump
Make sure all appiances are working!
The stock dash radio is a pain to operate
Run the generator and AC
Ask for all the manuals, its a big stack in a nice Winn valise
Cabin vents need replacement

Most of the items are under $50. Tires and appliances will be big ticket $$

Quality of hardware and cabinets is very nice and features seem well thought out. Ex. Pull out pantry, lit closet etc.
The closer for me were the Alcoa aluminum wheels!

Norm
F1BNorm

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2007 Aspect 26A we run 60lbs in front and 70lbs in rear and 70lbs in the airbags. I think all Aspect 26A units came with airbags.

Our weights are with 2 people, full gas tank, 1/2 full fresh water, empty waste water tanks and full propane tanks:

ACTUAL WEIGHT
Front: 3650lbs Rear: 7750lbs Total: 11400lbs
MAX WEIGHT ALLOWED
Front: 4600 Rear: 9450lbs Total: 14050lbs

Your weights should be very close to those.

Oh, and our unit after 10yrs still looks new. No fading on the exterior. There is a little wear on the dinette cushions, but they are reversible, so we would have another 10yrs of use.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
lindalp wrote:
We ran the vin# and it said it was a 2005 chassis... can we believe that?

My 09 Itasca Cambria is on a 08 chassis and is titled as an 09. I Purchased in Minn. and had an issue when registering into Ca. When it was smogged the vin numbers brought it up as an 08, which the chassis is. Federal law states that the "finisher" of an incomplete unit dates the unit when it is completed. My chassis sat for a while, a house was built on it a while later then out the door it went as an 09. It was titled as an 09 then California AAA services re dated it on me to an 08. . After consulting with DMV, AAA learned something new. They titled it as a 09 as it was stated on the original title.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
In my post above, I should have added:

1. Print out This Chart

2. At the Truck Stop, once you have the CAT Scale Weight Slip, adjust Tire Air Pressure

3. This Chart is set up by AXLE weight which is what the CAT Scale will give you. Adjust Tire Pressure according to the Chart for your Tire Size. Be sure to apply Single or Dual! If tires are Hot, go to the next higher pressure if you're between values, or add 3 PSI (this is a guess, but close)

4. Continue or repeat your Test Drive. It's very common for folks to "sidewall" the air pressure. Says 80 so I put 80. Could well be that the front tires in a small/medium Class C call for 55 at their front axle scale weight. At 80 it'll wander like crazy. Rear pressure doesn't affect tracking much if at all

5. DO NOT go by Ford's door jamb sticker. It assumes full load on both axles and a 26-ft RV won't have that. If Winne posted lower values, try those. Otherwise, I'd guess 60-F and 70-R, even hot
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a used 2007 Aspect 26A 4 years ago. We have been to many RV shows and still haven't found a unit we would trade it for. Ours drives great, did not have to do any mods. We have gone on a number of 5 to 7 week trips. We normally just connect water and electric when we stop, dump the holding tanks every 3 to 5 days.

The pros: 1. No leaks...first RV we have had that has not had any leaks. Love that fiberglass roof. 2. Only 7' 11" wide and 10' 4" tall, makes it easy to navigate city traffic and we can go through some tunnels people with taller rigs can't (like blue ridge parkway). 3. Solid, well built. 4. Just the right size for us, easy to drive, enough room, and nice looking.

The Cons: 1. Wish there was more storage. 2. We are replacing the U shaped dinette with a couch. Looks great and nice to eat at but can't get comfortable if we want to watch a movie or just relax.

I think you would be very happy with it.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
You can look up a VIN Decoder and verify the Model Year. There's probably also a Transmission Code on the door jamb label. Also, Shift Knob on 4-speed (4R100) is marked "OD Off" and the 5-speed (5R110) says "Tow Haul", or "T/H" or the like. The 2005's probably started build in AUG/SEP 2004.

Drive this coach and WEIGH IT!!! Find out what the Wheelbase and Actual Coach Length are. Some of the "Guides" say WB/Length should be at least 52% for good handling and tracking on the road. I believe it should be in the upper 50%'s, closer to 60% the better.

Weight (at a truck stop CAT scale or the like) will tell you if

1. Front Axle bears enough weight for good tracking and

2. That the Rear Axle is not overloaded
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
lindalp wrote:

Considering this is a Winnebago, is a 2005 for $36,000. worth considering? It’s a very clean 26A. ... “B+” class. One slide-out. 47,078 miles. The outside is not faded at all, looks new, so must have been covered or garaged. It is at a used RV dealership nearby. We have a friend who is a Ford Mechanic, who could check out it’s Ford Triton V-10 engine for us. Any advise you care to share, would be greatly appreciated.

We purchased a new 2005 Winnebago Aspect 23D which is essentially a clone of the 26A except for being shorter and owned it for over 10 years. It was an exceptional RV for us over the years. It was built on a 2004 Ford E450 chassis and felt that it the V10 and the 4 speed transmission did a great job of getting us all over the US pulling our Jeep toad.

There are a number of Aspect/Cambria owner's groups online that you may want to check out. Here's one from the Winnebago Owner's Group that may be of help Aspect Cambria Owners Forum.

Have fun with your search.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

ThisNewOldRV
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the right model? NADA has used RV value calculator:

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2005/Winnebago/M-26A-Ford-_/3042662/Values

lindalp
Explorer
Explorer
We ran the vin# and it said it was a 2005 chassis... can we believe that?

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I would suspect it is a 2004 chassis. Winnebago buys so many chassis in advance MOST coaches that go out their door do so on a chassis one year older than the coach itself.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make SURE that the Ford chassis under it is a 2005 chassis and NOT a 2004 chassis. The motorhome that is designated as a "2005" is so because the coach was built for Winnebago's 2005 model year line, but it could be on a 2004 Ford chassis.

Ford upgraded to their great computer controlled 5-speed (6 speeds internally) TorqShift transmission beginning with their 2005 chassis model year, so make sure the Ford chassis is also a 2005 to go along with the 2005 coach.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C