cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michigan to Key West

beagles7278
Explorer
Explorer
Heading down to key west end of December from mid-michigan, looking for opinions on which route to take. Can take I-75 all the way down or jump over to I-77 to I-95. Thoughts?
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3940
2017 Jeep Wrangler
10 REPLIES 10

beagles7278
Explorer
Explorer
thatsme wrote:
I'm also heading to the Keys in December. Plotted my route down I-77/I-95. Well after reading this I am rethinking my route. Did order a Sun Pass, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. What About Atlanta, always here it was a nightmare to get through??

Just avoid Atlanta at rush hour, which seems to run 7am - 8pm. I always drive straight through, no bypass.
2017 Jeep Wrangler

thatsme
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also heading to the Keys in December. Plotted my route down I-77/I-95. Well after reading this I am rethinking my route. Did order a Sun Pass, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. What About Atlanta, always here it was a nightmare to get through??
2021 3120RL Montana Legacy Edition.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
beagles7278 wrote:
Star Gazer wrote:
Go online and order a Sunpass and set it up. Will save you lots of time, and some money. Well worth the effort.

Dean

Definitely plan to do this, just not sure if I should get the transponder for $20 or just get the sticker for $5. Also need to figure out if I need one of the motorhome and the toad or if they will figure it out.

Thanks to all those that responded, looks like we will definitely stick to 75.

As mentioned I77 through W.V. with a toad is not a real fun drive depending on weather. You don't want 2 Sunpasses, one in MH and one toad. One in the MH is all you need. You can get the portable one if you think you'll want it in the toad at some point or get the stick on one and put it in the MH.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is a sun pass better than an EZ pass? I got my EZ pass thru Del as it was the best deal I could find.
bumpy

beagles7278
Explorer
Explorer
Star Gazer wrote:
Go online and order a Sunpass and set it up. Will save you lots of time, and some money. Well worth the effort.

Dean

Definitely plan to do this, just not sure if I should get the transponder for $20 or just get the sticker for $5. Also need to figure out if I need one of the motorhome and the toad or if they will figure it out.

Thanks to all those that responded, looks like we will definitely stick to 75.
2017 Jeep Wrangler

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
they should renumber I-95 to I-666
bumpy

Star_Gazer
Explorer
Explorer

Dean
2008 Phaeton 36QSH
2015 Ford Transit 250
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Have made the run down I 95 three times - NEVER again! Always bad traffic anywhere from above Lauderdale down through Miami. All I can help you with.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
As Dennis12 said, but for another reason. I77 would put you into the mountains of WV where the chances of bad weather (end of Dec) would be much higher than straight down !75.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take I-75 and then turnpike to Homestead. You do not want to get on 95 anywhere around Ft Lauderdale past Miami. It's a nightmare no matter what time. Last year I took 95 at 3am thinking i would not have traffic, WRONG, bumper to bumper 3 MPH for miles.
Dennis Hoppert