cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mystery wire on 2006 Weekend Warrior FS2600

mikeof6
Explorer
Explorer
On the cross member of the tongue behind the batteries is a 4x4 metal electrical box with a wire coming from the battery, connecting to what looks like a black squareish 1 inch resistor, then exiting the other side of the box and going under the trailer to somewhere. Does anyone know what circuit this wire might be used for. The connection on the resistor? looks a little rusty/corroded and I am wondering if I should replace it.

I'll be selling the trailer and I want to get things attended to.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I stand for the national anthem!
11 REPLIES 11

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are inclined to replace the junk self-resetting fuse/breaker I recommend either Bussmann Hi-Amp breaker or a Maxi-Fuse holder with #6 wire. Need the amp rating from the breaker to match same rating.

dedmiston
Mine was just a small blade fuse. The fuse would never burn out, but the wire would get hot all the time, finally hot enough to burn the fuse holder and the flimsy wire on either side of it. I think we owned the trailer for another five years or so after I ditched the inline fuse and put in the beefier line.

I can't remember what size the fuse was now, but I remember being astonished at (A) how small the fuse was, and (B) the fact that the fuse never blew, even though the whole thing fried itself.

It sounds like y'all are saying that the fuse had a purpose, other than to catch itself on fire. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mikeof6
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't going to do that but I was curious if dedmiston did that. Thanks for your concern, I appreciate it.

Mike

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
mikeof6 wrote:
Did you take the auto reset out of the circuit all together and just run larger wire?

Mike

DON'T DO THAT! this circuit breaker has a definite purpose. You can substitute a fuse or manual reset breaker but leave something in the circuit to protect the panel and battery
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mikeof6
Explorer
Explorer
Did you take the auto reset out of the circuit all together and just run larger wire?

Mike

dedmiston
I had trouble with the inline fuse near my battery box on my '05 FS2600. I ended up removing the fuse and running a new (much bigger) line from the battery to the main panel. Never had any trouble again.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

mikeof6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for your help.

Mike

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you are correct and look on the bottom of it should see numbers stamped on it

mikeof6
Explorer
Explorer
After doing a little research it looks like the auto reset is something that performs like a circuit breaker that continuously trips and resets while an over current event is taking place? And I am guessing that the 12v panel is the strip where all my fuses are located? What would you estimate the amperage for this to be? I can't read anything on the auto reset.

Thanks for getting me, on I hope, the right trail.

Mike

mikeof6
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to sound so ignorant, but what is my 12v panel and what does an auto reset do?

Mike

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
its a auto reset to your 12volt panel