cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 Questions about the Pink Stuff

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I know this stuff shouldn't be hard, but for some reason this is one of those things that I'm having trouble with:

1) I heard somewhere (once) that you shouldn't use the pink stuff with alcohol in it ... is that true? Of coarse, I can only find stuff that has "ethyl alcohol" in it.

2) What brand do you use?
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
25 REPLIES 25

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I use windshield washer fluid. 1/2 the price of the cheap stuff and it works.
Boat ballast tanks/pumps and rv drains and tanks.
If youโ€™re pumping it thru the water lines, Iโ€™d not use it there.

If you're putting it through the supply lines, definitely do not use winter washer fluid. The antifreeze ingredient in it is usually methanol (i.e. wood alcohol), which is quite toxic.

X2 winshield washer fluid is a very bad idea. Regular washer fluid will freeze and the stuff that is freeze proof is very bad for humans.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
I avoid the alcohol stuff. I prefer NOT to pump anything marked FLAMMABLE throughout the RV... Got enough other flammable stuff in there... ST

I guess you missed my post a while back where i tried to ignite the stuff using a hand held propane torch to no avail. :h

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you are over thinking this.

I drain the water using the low point drains, then pump pink through all the faucets and toilet, then drain the low point drains back into the jug, and then I dump it in all the drains. Working together, we can do the whole camper with 1 gallon.

I am pretty sure your temperatures don't get any colder than ours. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh yeah, I just use the cheap stuff when the store display reminds me I need some.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Mortimer, so if that stuff is silicone based why can't a person just smear some plumbers grease on it. Is what I do. :h

You definitely can use plumberโ€™s grease. Itโ€™s personal preference. I like opening a bottle and dumping a little of the conditioner in the bowl. Easy and no mess.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

If you're putting it through the supply lines, definitely do not use winter washer fluid. The antifreeze ingredient in it is usually methanol (i.e. wood alcohol), which is quite toxic.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
The pink stuff is just cherry juice. I guess it all depends on what you mix it with. If you use Vodka Id use orange juice. If you use Crown Royal, drink it straight. Who ever heard of building a fire and putting it out ???
Dennis Hoppert

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Wal*Mart brand for years. Never a problem that I'm aware of.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
I know this stuff shouldn't be hard, but for some reason this is one of those things that I'm having trouble with:

1) I heard somewhere (once) that you shouldn't use the pink stuff with alcohol in it ... is that true? Of coarse, I can only find stuff that has "ethyl alcohol" in it.

2) What brand do you use?

IMO there is a lot of things to be concerned about with an Rv, antifreeze is not one of them. Have used alcohol based antifreeze on the same fifth wheel now for 11 years, the seal in the toilet is still sealing as it did 11 years ago, have no idea on any other seals, but have had no issues with my water system.

To answer your question on what brand, which ever is the best price, this year the best price I found was two gallons for $5.00 at Ace hardware. I have seen it since for 1.99 at Homedepot, but too late ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll stock up on some for next year

IMO you are over thinking this antifreeze thing, not sure all the concern. As some has pointed out if worried, blow the lines out ,and be done. As far as seals, well I have to guess some have had an issue, as said my experience differs.

rpnelson
Explorer
Explorer
I used to worry about what kind of RV antifreeze to use too. I got mine from Atwoods or Orschelns usually. Don't remember the brand but it did not contain alcohol. The last 8 or 10 years I have been blowing the system out with air and not worrying about anti freeze. Works good and is less messy and doesn't cost anything if you have a sizeable air compressor.

I don't mean we need to get rid of the stupid people. Just remove all the warning labels and let everything sort itself out.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
I avoid the alcohol stuff. I prefer NOT to pump anything marked FLAMMABLE throughout the RV... Got enough other flammable stuff in there... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer, so if that stuff is silicone based why can't a person just smear some plumbers grease on it. Is what I do. :h

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with this for the toilet seal.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThis guy (at the 2 minute mark in video)โ€

Oh yes! I invested all my money with him. Do you happen to have his current address?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad