cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which RV Deep Cycle Batteries To Buy?

johncamtravel
Explorer
Explorer
Need to start looking to purchase two 12V Deep Cycle batteries for the 5th wheel.
Which batteries are good and which ones should I stay away from.
How is Duralast from auto Zone? Does anyone use those? Or how is
Dura Cell are they any good? How about Autocraft from Advanced Auto
Parts? Any help would be appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have room for GC batteries or I would have gone that route. So, I bought the larger group 27 Costco/Interstate 12V batteries. They are a huge improvement over the group 24 batteries that were in there when I got the trailer. They're still going strong after a year. Time will tell how they hold up.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know who currently (ha) supplies WM with batteries but if their warranty replacements were getting out of hand they would find another vendor. That may account for some good and some bad experiences over the years.
I've had good luck with Deka but would consider others if the specs were as good.
Puma 30RKSS

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Aah yes. Forgot about AGM's in 6 volt.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Lenny K wrote:
Sabretooth007 wrote:
I use maintenance free Interstate 4 x 6 volts and although they are more expensive, you fit them and leave them, plus there is a nation wide warrantee should I need a replacement.. If I'm going to square wheel for a while in storage, I will remove them and charge them prior to reinstall and travel..

Never heard of maintenance free Interstate 6 volts batteries. Would you post a link for them? I'm sure lots of people would be interested.

Here's one.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/gc2-hd-agm?productLine=golf-car&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Sabretooth007 wrote:
I use maintenance free Interstate 4 x 6 volts and although they are more expensive, you fit them and leave them, plus there is a nation wide warrantee should I need a replacement.. If I'm going to square wheel for a while in storage, I will remove them and charge them prior to reinstall and travel..

Never heard of maintenance free Interstate 6 volts batteries. Would you post a link for them? I'm sure lots of people would be interested.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:
...I stay away from the wally worlds locally as they only last about 6 months.

This is a remarkable statement. You don't use them because they only last six months? So, someone must have TOLD you they only last six months. But already on this thread at least one person has contradicted this. I also have found Walmart batteries to last as long as any other similarly priced battery.

-Speak

Agree! Have completed 5 years of service with 2 of Walmarts batteries and they are still good. So on to year 6 next spring.

Here in AZ, we usually get 3-4 years out of WM "5 year" batteries. They will warrant them ONE time under their free replacement warranty. After that, you're buying another set at full price. Just had to put 2 new ones in my D'max this year and had to pay full price, even though my last 2 sets only lasted about 3.5 years each.

Lyle

So you paid once for a 5-year battery that lasted 3.5 years, then you got another one for free and got 3.5 years out of that? So you got 7 years out of a 5-year "battery" purchase? I'd say that's pretty dxxn good! I'm really not an apologist for WalMart. I'm just making observations.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Sabretooth007
Explorer
Explorer

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RAS43 wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:

This is a remarkable statement. You don't use them because they only last six months? So, someone must have TOLD you they only last six months. But already on this thread at least one person has contradicted this. I also have found Walmart batteries to last as long as any other similarly priced battery.

-Speak

Agree! Have completed 5 years of service with 2 of Walmarts batteries and they are still good. So on to year 6 next spring.

Here in AZ, we usually get 3-4 years out of WM "5 year" batteries. They will warrant them ONE time under their free replacement warranty. After that, you're buying another set at full price. Just had to put 2 new ones in my D'max this year and had to pay full price, even though my last 2 sets only lasted about 3.5 years each.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
SpeakEasy wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

JRMunn
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have enough trailer experience to get into the 6V vs. 12V debate or recommend a brand. If you get the lead/acid variety, my ag experience tells me that you need to check water levels at least annually and try to keep them trickle charged throughout the year - overcharging with higher amps will heat the battery and drive water out of the cells. What I have found out the hard way about trailers is to make sure that whatever you get will both go into and fit securely in your battery box. Right now, I am using two Exide 105 ah 12V deep cycle batteries from Tractor Supply connected in parallel for 210 total ah when new (they are big and heavy, and I had to modify the battery box to get them to fit), and then found out that Costco has the same size and rating Interstate battery for less. From the little batteries on ATVs, I have learned that the AGM variety is easier to handle (no acid spills), but can't compare longevity or price with lead/acid for trailer use.

JRMunn

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't do alot of dry camping. 2-3 weeks worth a year maybe. When we are 'on the hook' in nautical terms, we camp knowing that we have the best type of battery for the purpose, an AGM.

Current battery is a single AGM 4D. It has been in use, about 150 road nights each year, since 2010. Next year it goes to Alaska, & lots of dry camping, for the third time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have used Duralast batteries from Auto Zone since 2004 and continue to get excellent service from them.

I just returned from a two week Colorado trip with the TC thremostat set at 40 degrees. The battery was charged by the generator for about an hour every morning and about two hours at night. The battery never failed to supply the furnace's needs. This has been our normal routine for many years without a hint of battery failure.
magic43

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Depends on what you want out of the batteries. If you are planning off grid camping I would suggest either Trojan or Crown with my preference being Crown. These are the only true 12 volt deep cycle batteries worth anything in my opinion.

Trojan T-1275 (12V) are good but $$$ ! Not easy to find.