cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire upgrade

TexBohunk
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on taking the TT to northern South Carolina in Jan. Decided to upgrade the rear tires on my 2017 F250 2wd in case of light snow, and if not can't hurt with traction in grass or mud with all the rain we get in this area of TX. Went with the BFG AT KO2. Any on else running this tire and can let me know how they work for you or how long they last.
15 REPLIES 15

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
My son put on a set last year . He has about 20 K miles on them ,been rotated twice and he'll be lucky to get another 5k mile out of them. Said it was the worse tire he ever bought. He tows a 5th wheel ,a couple go times a year,the rest to work and back.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TexBohunk wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Went with the BFG AT KO2. Any on else running this tire and can let me know how they work for you or how long they last. "

Wouldn't this be the sort of question asked "BEFORE" purchasing the tires???

Researched several tires, and it was between the Hankook Dynapro, or the BFG. Discount had the BFGs in stock. Read a bunch of reviews, but vehicles and use vary widely. Since this is a RV website, just wanted input from other to know what to expect in the long run. Imagine the responses I would get if I asked the best tire to buy.

Maybe just ask about the two mentioned.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The first 50% of the tire is outstanding. Excellent on snow packed/icy roads. I don't think in that application I have run a better tire. Now heavy snow is another story. Offroad they are good, but mud not very good you have to really spin the tires to get them to clean out. The last 50% of the tire I am not such a fan. The downside is it doesn't take long to get into the last 50%.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

TexBohunk
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Went with the BFG AT KO2. Any on else running this tire and can let me know how they work for you or how long they last. "

Researched several tires, and it was between the Hankook Dynapro, or the BFG. Discount had the BFGs in stock. Read a bunch of reviews, but vehicles and use vary widely. Since this is a RV website, just wanted input from other to know what to expect in the long run. Imagine the responses I would get if I asked the best tire to buy.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I debated between the KO2 and Bridgestone Dueler LTH. The last set of BFG AT I had were noisy. I don't require such an aggressive tread so I went with the Dueler. I'm happy I did. Smooth and quiet.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The fact that they are an actual traction tire with the mountain snowflake logo on them is a big deal to me. Lots of the passes out west often require chains or traction tires in the winter and I prefer not having to deal with tire chains unless I really need them. I would expect to give up some tread life in return but I'm willing to accept that tradeoff.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
One of the best all around AT tires in snow, IMO.
They’ll serve you well.
One question, did you leave the cheapo OE all season skins on the front?
I’d want as good of traction on the steers as the drivers personally.
But you’re only going to SC from TX so any snow you might get will likely be so greasy wet or sheer ice and you won’t want to pull in it anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
As my.mother taught me, don't say something unless it's positive....
I've only owned one set......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I've had them on my F150 for about 25k miles. Should go 40k, which is about all I get out of any tire. Similar results from my last two sets.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I had them on my 2010 Tundra. Granted the truck was a lot lighter than your F250, the tires were fantastic. Lasted until I traded my Tundra with a little over 60K miles and there was still tread left. Load range E provided a very stiff sidewall that was fantastic for towing. Aggressive tread gave me good traction in snow, light mud and wet grass. Tread was still pretty quiet on the highway and gave me great highway traction as well.

I was very impressed with the tire and had no complaints at all! Again... my truck weighed a good amount less than yours, so your tire longevity will probably not be as good as mine was. Still... 60K miles and still had tread left. That made me quite happy!

I agree ,great tire. Went with Toyo this time around, traction seems good so far, but just mud at this point, will see in snow before long.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I'll help him out, to the OP everyone has different results on the same tire, but the BFG's are a great tire, and many run them, I too have run a couple sets. IMO they last about long as the average AT tire, traction is on par with any other AT tire I have had, Toyo ,Michelin , and Firestone.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had them on my 2010 Tundra. Granted the truck was a lot lighter than your F250, the tires were fantastic. Lasted until I traded my Tundra with a little over 60K miles and there was still tread left. Load range E provided a very stiff sidewall that was fantastic for towing. Aggressive tread gave me good traction in snow, light mud and wet grass. Tread was still pretty quiet on the highway and gave me great highway traction as well.

I was very impressed with the tire and had no complaints at all! Again... my truck weighed a good amount less than yours, so your tire longevity will probably not be as good as mine was. Still... 60K miles and still had tread left. That made me quite happy!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Running the same tire on my Tundra. For the first 50 miles or so when I was towing they felt squirrely and I thought I had made a mistake. After they got scrubbed in I was happy with them. I only have around 10,000 miles on them but they look like new. The only thing I have found with them that I don't like is when in clay the tread tends to load up and traction becomes very poor. All and all I would buy them again.