Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Does anyone here use air shocks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does anyone here use air shocks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems that I have seen a lot of discussion on here about air bags vs Timbrens or Supersprings but I came across these air shocks that seems to be reasonable priced and easy to install. They are not as strong as the other devices but are probably all that I would need on a half ton truck. So has anyone tried them?

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A5839A0A0.aspx

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Helper air spring are more durable.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shock mounts aren't meant to carry weight. Now if the full size car or burb or suv needed help with leveling light loads then they may work in that situation.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Except for the Bilsteins made for the GM SUVs, most air shocks are lacking in the damping department. The Bilsteins are huge however, so they don't fit other applications. The more modestly sized air shocks make it all fit by reducing both chamber sizes, so they don't do either function very well.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Focus ST

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's my understanding as well... Shock mounts are not designed to be load-bearing, so if you go into this thinking air shocks == air bags, you will be sorely disappointed.

Don't think that they'd be all you need because, "it's only a half ton truck." Half ton trucks are the ones that need the MOST help usually.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since 2017.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason that I asked is that a family member has found a gooseneck horse trailer that is light enough to be pulled with an F150 but the gooseneck hitch is not compatible with air bags from what I have been able to find out. So my choices are no extra support, air shocks, Timbrens or Super Springs. Etrailer.com recommends Timbrens for use with the hitch. I like the adjustability of the air springs and am concerned that the use of one of the other type devices will make the empty ride too harsh.

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

The reason that I asked is that a family member has found a gooseneck horse trailer that is light enough to be pulled with an F150 but the gooseneck hitch is not compatible with air bags from what I have been able to find out. So my choices are no extra support, air shocks, Timbrens or Super Springs. Etrailer.com recommends Timbrens for use with the hitch. I like the adjustability of the air springs and am concerned that the use of one of the other type devices will make the empty ride too harsh.

I have Timbrens on my Ram 2500. I set up mine to set about 3/4" above the spring perch so under normal driving conditions they don't make contact. When I drop my 5th wheel in the bed the truck squats to make contact and they provide excellent helper support for my coil springs.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS
'14 Ram 2500 | Crew Cab Long Bed| 4X4 | Cummins TurboDiesel
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (18, 11, & 10)
1 forgiving wife!!!

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add a leaf long before I would trust an air shock with a heavy load.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had them on a 3/4 ton conversion van that I towed a 6500 lb loaded TT with, and they didn't do the job. As other have said, shock mounts are not designed to carry weight.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Does anyone here use air shocks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS