cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DEF Additive

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone done the cost comparison for the cost of DEF at the pump compared to at the store in a container? Which is cheaper?
Paul127
18 REPLIES 18

Deaton
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, Newmar now puts DEF fills on BOTH sides. Not sure if itโ€™s true on all brands.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Solo wrote:

I guess the manufacturers are not confident in my ability to not put diesel in my DEF tank so they place the DEF fill at the rearmost corner away from both of my diesel fills. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya and if it's a tight fit, you have to pre-plan opening that giant cabinet door the pull away to close it - all while the trucker behind you is rolling his eyes ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart is a bit more expensive than the pump, but lots easier to use. Atwood's 2 1/2 gal jugs are the same as the pump.
2014 American Eagle

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart brand DEF in 2.5 gal is not too bad, about $8. still cheaper at the pump, but fuel fill in the front, DEF in the rear. Have to move to use it. But will be doing so as my local Walmart seems to be forgetting to order DEF lately!
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
Not bad. I carry 2 2.5 jugs. Just fill when low then discard jugs. Make it from Detroit to Miami.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
fairway2002 wrote:
I get mine from O'Reilly's ($95 business account) in 55 gal. Bought a Def pump. Works great. Do not use a cheap oil pump. Def killed it.

that may work for you but I would not be into packing many bottles of DEF all over the country just to save a few bucks
ok if your just a weekend warrior and doing short trips all the time

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I get mine from O'Reilly's ($95 business account) in 55 gal. Bought a Def pump. Works great. Do not use a cheap oil pump. Def killed it.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
I guess it's only
the high end MH's that have dual fills for DEF

I've never seen dual DEF fills on a coach, that sure doesn't mean they don't exist.

We have dual fill for diesel but just DEF on the driver's side.

Both the Diesel fill and DEF fill are behind the same door on our coach. Our Diesel fill cap is brass and the DEF cap is a large blue plastic cap under the Diesel fill. So, I do fill up both tanks at the truck stop. My last DEF fill on NOV 3rd I paid 2.76 per gallon at a Love's station.

We have a 16 gallon DEF tank and I usually fill it up when it reaches half a tank when I'm filling with diesel. Our Diesel tank holds 230 gallons. Usually, it's about every third tank of diesel I will put in DEF. I will fill my diesel tank somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2. I start looking for a fuel station when the diesel reaches 1/2.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
cross21114 wrote:

Another question is how much DEF are you using. Over a 3,000 mile trip I used 4.5% DEf to Diesel. I think this is very high and have it in the shop with a request to evaluate this over usage.

Any other real world experience?

Thanks,

I average 3% on our coach. Our DEF fill is on the driver's side which makes it a bit more convenient than those that have the fill on the right but, I still have to pull forward after filling with diesel to reach the DEF pump. Having dual fill DEF as some manufacturers are doing now still wouldn't help me there.

I guess the manufacturers are not confident in my ability to not put diesel in my DEF tank so they place the DEF fill at the rearmost corner away from both of my diesel fills. ๐Ÿ™‚
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
The pump is much cheaper. I have not had any problem competing with trucks. My fuel is on the right and DEF on the left and most places can accommodate.

Another question is how much DEF are you using. Over a 3,000 mile trip I used 4.5% DEf to Diesel. I think this is very high and have it in the shop with a request to evaluate this over usage.

Any other real world experience?

Thanks,
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it's only
the high end MH's that have dual fills for DEF

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The pump is a bit cheaper than Walmart, and the same price as Atwoods.
2014 American Eagle

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
Agree, the pump is cheaper but after experiencing the hassle of filling a jug or competing with the truckers for the pumps, etc. I choose to use the containers from Sams. A lot less hassle and it isn't a big expense anyway.

This right angle funnel is supposed to make it easier to add DEF to trucks with the Duramax. I havenโ€™t tried it out yet as Iโ€™m currently truck shopping.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased it at the pump and from the store and I agree the pump is less expensive, thanks.
Paul127