cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I have never been as frustrated with a service as with Dish

Doss
Explorer
Explorer
In 2016, we were camping in the Keys a good bit.
We tried various things and ended up with a Dish Pathway X2 and 2 receivers.
It worked well initially and when we were camping frequently.
One selling point was that we could idle our service between trips.
We camped around early January 2017 and then came back home with no trips on the horizon.
I call Dish and they told me I could idle it for 90 days only. No big deal, I figured we would be taking trips frequently.
Life happens, we get busy, after the brief reduction, it goes back up to $59.xx per month. I just pay it as we plan to make trips.
We don't make another trip till Labor Day.
I hop out, set up the dish an hour before the Alabama FSU game. I get signal but not all the programming. Well over an hour on the phone with customer support, I missed the whole first half. They put the issue on me not connecting the system more often and it has to do updates. They don't understand why it takes so long and probably 8 restarts.
Fast forward till last week. We are planning a Thanksgiving trip, so several weeks in advance I break out the dish, hook it up so I am going to be up and running.
I spent over an hour on the phone with them on a Sunday afternoon trying to get my programming to activate...after I have been paying $60 per month for programming.
It still doesn't work. I start to fall in to the crack between Dish programming and Dish outdoors.
I plan to put it in craigslist shortly. Incredibly frustrating
2022 Cruiser RV MPG 3400BH
2022 Chevrolet 2500 HD 4x4
26 REPLIES 26

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never have had Dish, but I love my DirecTV! Customer service has been excellent on the rare occasions I have needed any help at all.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
If you think Dish is bad, don't try DTV.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't matter if it's Dish, Direct, or one of the cable companies, there will be periodic price increases. In large part, those increases are driven by the greedy program providers, especially the local station owners, that keep demanding higher and higher retransmission fees, despite declining viewer counts. And even when those 3-4 year contracts are renewed without a major battle, they all contain annual increases, so the costs go up every year anyway. To put it in perspective, retransmission fees were about 10% of the station owners income just 3-4 years ago, and last year they accounted for 30% of their income. Carriers like Dish, etc., that operate on relatively small margins, can only absorb a small amount of those increases before they have to pass it along to their subscribers. It used to be that TV stations were 100% advertising supported, but then our Congress critters saw fit to let them charge fees to the carriers if they opted out of the "must carry" rules, and that's where any changes to the system would have to start. The bottom line is that over the air reception of local stations is the only remaining free access to TV programming other than a small amount of legal streaming programming.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:

Are you saying that you can shut off the dish pay as you go monthly plan after a portion of the month?

Absolutely yes!

You must call to cancel. I tried to chat.
You can login online and reactivate.

It is rules du jour, good tech and bad tech like anywhere else.

When you call be clear like this, "We are traveling in our RV and in a location where we do not need your service. We would like to cancel our Pay-as-you-go service.".
If they begin asking questions which you don't want to answer, just repeat the quote.

HTH;
John

HTH;
John

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Wow, never had that big of issue, I always made sure to cancel my service after a weekend. Then I only owed for that weekend next time. We always laughed at the โ€œPlease Come Backโ€ emails we would get.

X2!

We only pay for the days we use.

I have been on Pay-as-you go since Jan 2014. We call to cancel and reactivate online at mydish.com, both at will.

Out last reactivation cost $7.66 because of the credit balance left over from the previous cancellation. Yes, $7.66 was three(3) days of use! This is different from what bill.satellite posted.

Granted it was problematic for the first few years, but this year has been Easy-Peasy.

OP, get on the correct plan.

HTH;
John

Are you saying that you can shut off the dish pay as you go monthly plan after a portion of the month? I used to do that years ago but was told it is no longer possible????????

To the OP, make sure that your receiver is compatible with the dish that you are using. Not all are. Also, the cable length for most of the small antennas is 50', and many RV's have substandard cable. I added a new access point for cable attachment on my Bighorn...the easiest way to bypass rv cables.
For the poster concerned about cost of dish going up, they now have a basic plan with a la carte. I think it was about $45.00 for locals and a bunch of the other stuff like hgtv etc...
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I did not make it clear, it's completely OK to see it as no difference. However, there is a big difference. I get it that you were not happy with a service that Dish was selling but the service Dish was selling was not a Dish product but rather a product that Dish was re-selling. You had no way of knowing this without a bit of investigation so I do not blame you for feeling Dish was responsible.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
Dish may not own wild blue but they have their name all over the product, at least they did back when we were suffering because of them. As I see it, there is no difference, when you are talking support, they were both terrible. When Dish pairs with wild blue the way they do such as logos, billing support i don't see any difference.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I absolutely identify with your frustration. After 2 years of having our rates increase, increase, increase, and we cut programming to raw-bare-bones minimum and we were STILL over $100 a month, and the progrmming was just the same old, same old reruns of reruns, we finally canceled and went back to over-the-air at home and the camper. Been much happier since. We gave away all our old equipment from DishTV. No regrets. We are completely happy with normal over-the-air programming. With Netfix, we really don't miss Satellite TV at all.

I agree completely. I've had them all. Direct, Dish, Comcast. It got so that I felt all I was doing was paying them to watch commercials. So I went over the air, and have Sling/Netflix and couldn't be happier.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Wow, never had that big of issue, I always made sure to cancel my service after a weekend. Then I only owed for that weekend next time. We always laughed at the โ€œPlease Come Backโ€ emails we would get.

X2!

We only pay for the days we use.

I have been on Pay-as-you go since Jan 2014. We call to cancel and reactivate online at mydish.com, both at will.

Out last reactivation cost $7.66 because of the credit balance left over from the previous cancellation. Yes, $7.66 was three(3) days of use! This is different from what bill.satellite posted.

Granted it was problematic for the first few years, but this year has been Easy-Peasy.

OP, get on the correct plan.

HTH;
John

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may not know and you may not care, but it's a big difference. Dish is NOT Excede (Wild Blue) and DirecTV is NOT Hughesnet.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I agree the internet part of it would be a totally different subject except that they are both owned by the same company and the internet support/service is probably the only company that would be worse than Dish Networks. Im pretty sure when we had Wild blue we got our bill from Dish and when we called for support we called Dish. As far as if Dish owns wild blue i don't know nor do i care, I know we had Dish Network logo all over the bill, and again when we called we called Dish.

Direct tv is in my opinion just ok. One of my biggest complaints about the service is that we have a dvd with them and the direct tv/ att logo will just pop up at any time, you can be watching a show and the dang logo on a black screen will pop up, very annoying. Ive called and written many times, there seems to be no fix.
The other thing that would go along way to sway me toward Direct tv would be if there was some way to be able to download shows recorded on our Direct TV hard drive. As far as i know there is no way for that to be done.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DirecTV and Dish Network do not have internet service. They both resell services by other providers. Mainly Excede (Wild Blue) and Hughesnet.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
northshore wrote:
When we had dish we had the same incredibly frustrating experience. Even more problematic is their satellite internet service โ€œwild blueโ€ . That was hair pulling crazy terrible.
We have Direct tv now and for us it is marginally better, I sure would not brag about their service.

how is directs satellite internet service? but internet should be an entirely new thread.
bumpy

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
When we had dish we had the same incredibly frustrating experience. Even more problematic is their satellite internet service โ€œwild blueโ€ . That was hair pulling crazy terrible.
We have Direct tv now and for us it is marginally better, I sure would not brag about their service.