Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Andersen hitch lock lever location?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen hitch lock lever location?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering an Andersen hitch. Getting the heavy Curt hitch out is too much hassle when I want to load the cabover. My only question is where do folks locate the locking lever? Andersen says within 30" of the centerline to prevent damage from truck rails on unlevel ground. I'm thinking it would be about as easy and simple to attach it to the back side of my pinbox. I would have to get between the tailgate and 5th to reach it but I'm OK with that.
Your input is welcome.....

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

I'm considering an Andersen hitch. Getting the heavy Curt hitch out is too much hassle when I want to load the cabover. My only question is where do folks locate the locking lever? Andersen says within 30" of the centerline to prevent damage from truck rails on unlevel ground. I'm thinking it would be about as easy and simple to attach it to the back side of my pinbox. I would have to get between the tailgate and 5th to reach it but I'm OK with that.

That's where mine is ... driver's side pin box flange, pointing outboard.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

That's where mine is ... driver's side pin box flange, pointing outboard.

Ditto. Works great there.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y'all have any issues with the cable flopping around? I've got some stick on plastic things designed to run a small cable tie through them. Works good on the boat to secure electronic wiring. Thought I could use 1 or 2 to secure the cable to the underside of the 5th overhang.
Any others ideas are welcome..

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have mine mounted to the pin box like those above. The cable is stiff enough that it doesn't flop around and you can't put too much of a bend in it as the center wire will bind.

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our locking handle is screwed into the bottom of the fifth wheel, half way between the pin box and the side of the trailer. Works great. No cable flop and is easy to see from rear view mirror.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my block reversed (king pinin front, ball in the rear) such that the cable exits the block on the passenger side, loops around the back of the pin box on the passenger side, then affixed to the pin box flange at the rear. Keeps the cable relatively snug and in place, without any sharp turns or kinks, but very little slack. So, no flop.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/17 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

Our locking handle is screwed into the bottom of the fifth wheel, half way between the pin box and the side of the trailer. Works great. No cable flop and is easy to see from rear view mirror.

I think that is a common place, I believe thats where Andersen shows to put them. I chose like some to mount on the rear of the pin box on the drivers side.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a 2-1/2" round magnet at Harbor Freight. Bolted the handle to it and stuck it to the pin box. Just don't stick the magnet any place to try it out. It is a son of a gun to pull off without anything bolted to it.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

mekkerl

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine comes out the passenger side as well.
Although -- regardless where it comes out...I've chose to not attach it to anything. So it just hangs and sits in the bed of the truck, along with the emergency brake wire, and the power cord. I've had to remove the king-pin adapter twice already this season. So it was nice not to have to un-bolt it from the camper.
When not in use, it goes right up into the back of the pinbox, along with the power cord and brake cable.

Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Andersen hitch lock lever location?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS