cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan-Gauge, Trans. Temp.

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
-- 2014 F53 with 5 speed. (Coachmen Persuit 18,lb) Ive tried every code possible on the gauge about 5 times with no luck for tranny temp. I have used the gauge on three other veh's (PU trucks) with no problems once I got the right code in. (1 V8 and two V10s) Does any one know if there using Scan-Gauge on a unit like this and has the right code, or do I have to get something else to get Temp.

Thanks Rob
ROBERT L MC INTYRE
7 REPLIES 7

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the vehicle programming already has the trans temp sensor communicating with another module/modules, depending on said factory programming, you will not get the scan gauge to readout the temps even if the codes are known and entered correctly. I had a 2007 GM 2500 that would report TFT on scan gauge, but also had a 2013 and the current 2015 which scan gauge will not read out TFT due to the factory programming. I have traded about 100 emails with scan gauge trying to get it to read out TFT without any luck on the 2013 and 2015.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yes, in fact I was in low gear, the engine never gets hot although it was warmer than going on level ground. The grades were pretty steep.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Just a tongue in cheek response here. :W I have one on my MH but before I got it I drove in the mountains with no worries. Now that I have it and drive in mountains I worry about the temps I am seeing to the point that I stopped in Yellowstone a couple times to let the tranny cool off! LOL Sometimes I think I was better off not knowing the trans temp. The fluid is still nice and bright red with no odor but I still worry when the temp gets up to 220. I do like the scan gauge, maybe I worry to much.:h

Are you downshifting on long hills going uphill? I feather my 6 speed tranni as I'm climbing hills so the temp gauge stays below half temp. Also turn off 'Economy' and shut off the cruise control. Don't worry about the tranni overheating as the water temp gauge is a fairly good indicator of overall temp of the engine and tranni.

Or so I believe...heh. 🙂 😉
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Just a tongue in cheek response here. :W I have one on my MH but before I got it I drove in the mountains with no worries. Now that I have it and drive in mountains I worry about the temps I am seeing to the point that I stopped in Yellowstone a couple times to let the tranny cool off! LOL Sometimes I think I was better off not knowing the trans temp. The fluid is still nice and bright red with no odor but I still worry when the temp gets up to 220. I do like the scan gauge, maybe I worry to much.:h
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Customer service from Scan Gauge is excellent. Just give them a call and I'm sure they can provide the proper "X" code along with the how to program it.

:C

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make a call to the company they helped me find the trans code for my Jeep
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my MH I could not get it to do the Trans. Might try and call the company and see if they can help.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD