Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV stuck in sand bad...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RV stuck in sand bad...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
AikenRacer

Aiken, S.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another situation that occurred this past weekend was that one mh coming into the campground sort of missed the pad and ended up sinking in some loose sand up to the exhaust system. Several of us neighbors grabbed our fox hole shovels and proceeded to did out in front of the rear wheel. Only one side was stuck. Once we cleared the loose sand, we laid down the plastic jack stand pads as the guy had a set with him. We made sort of a short road surface with them. One try and he made it out with ease. I ordered me a set of pads today just for standby after seeing how easy he came out of a bad situation. Just passing it along.

2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

Lwiddis

:( la Reina de los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should order me a set too or two.

* This post was edited 11/14/17 06:24pm by Lwiddis *

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for helping him out. I decided to buy an RV when I rented one 30 years ago and discovered that no matter what stupid thing I did I always had plenty of nice people ready/willing to help me out.

Kevin

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was it a DP with air brakes or a gas rig with regular brakes? If it had regular brakes and a spring loaded parking brake, and only one side is stuck, if you start applying the parking brake while accelerating, it will add resistance to the spinning wheels and the differential will transfer power to the other side. At least it works on 2wd cars and pickups. I've never tried it in a motorhome but it should work. If it has air brakes then get the shovels out.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lower air presser to 7 lbs and drive it out very easy. Been there done that a number of times in Mexico on the beach.

So big a world, so little time to see.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

Was it a DP with air brakes or a gas rig with regular brakes? If it had regular brakes and a spring loaded parking brake, and only one side is stuck, if you start applying the parking brake while accelerating, it will add resistance to the spinning wheels and the differential will transfer power to the other side. At least it works on 2wd cars and pickups. I've never tried it in a motorhome but it should work. If it has air brakes then get the shovels out.

Many gas motorhomes (and I suppose maybe some diesels without air brakes, though those are pretty rare) have the parking brake mounted on the driveshaft rather than on the wheels. In that case, it would obviously not help the situation one bit.

It also is critically important to chock such units before jacking up one of the rear wheels, since the differential will let the other wheel turn freely once the one is clear of the ground.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/17 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A large piece of cardboard or section of old carpet under the tire will help in driving out of sand also.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Playtime II

Holiday FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/17 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Been there, done that, didn't work for us.

With both sides in the same predicament; a winch out from a medium-sized tow truck was needed. At least the frame/hitch was accessible and a solid anchor point for the winch operation. My insurance covered it (and 0 deductible).

Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/17 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reminds me to put my little foxhole shovel in the RV.

Blackdiamond

So. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was buried pretty bad in a 39' DP, took about 6 hours to get it out. We would dig, put wood under the jacks, dig more, put wood under and in front of the rear tires, go about 5-10 ft and then start all over again until we got free. This was out in the desert dry camping at a new spot.

03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC
02 200 EXC
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> RV stuck in sand bad...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS