Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tandem Dually Axles
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tandem Dually Axles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Cydog15

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are any 5th wheel manufactures still using them? I remember Newmar Mountain Aire used to.

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newmar was the only one to use the tandem duals. I had a 2004 Mountain Aire (towards the end of the good ones) that I put well over 200,000 miles on. Had a few blowouts and a couple of broken springs (imagine breaking a spring in only 200K). But I always had spare tires and spare springs.

* This post was edited 11/15/17 04:47am by Luke Porter *

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see any on the road.
Since the industry came out with 17.5" trailer wheels and some good 14/16 ply road tires there really is no need for tandem dual axles in the rv trailer market....and fed regs let rv trailer makers use less GAWR than GVWR.
And tri axle trailers do a job better....the load is spread over the trailers frame in a longer area for less hitch weight/3 axle braking/less chucking issues than two axles/etc.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cydog15

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

I don't see any on the road.
Since the industry came out with 17.5" trailer wheels and some good 14/16 ply road tires there really is no need for tandem dual axles in the rv trailer market....and fed regs let rv trailer makers use less GAWR than GVWR.
And tri axle trailers do a job better....the load is spread over the trailers frame in a longer area for less hitch weight/3 axle braking/less chucking issues than two axles/etc.

Thanks. I only see the Newmar products with them but since they stopped producing 5th wheels, haven't seen any others.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tandem Dually Axles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS