cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Merlefest camping (Wilkesboro NC)

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone camped at a Merlefest in Wilkesboro NC? Looking for tips on where, etc for the 2018 event. Would be in a motorhome for the entire fest.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
13 REPLIES 13

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
OMG Didn't know that Merlefest was so big!! Scratch that one off our possible list. Best one for us is where there is only one, possibly two stages...

You don't know what you are missing. With all the stages the choices of styles and performers is almost endless. Everything is close together on a small college campus. Some stages are inside but most are outside.

In the main area the Watson stage and Cabin stage are side by side so the performances never have a break between. While one act is performing the next act is getting set up on the other stage. As soon as one is done the performers on the other stage are introduced and begin.

Oh ya, we have a rough idea. A few years ago we did Grey Fox, upstate NY. Huge! Shuttle buses to get to 5 mins from main stage, need binoculars to see main stage from the back, very loud, no audience interaction from the stage, something like 20,000 people.

Been there. Done that.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
All the campgrounds in the area are full of pickers and there are jams every night at each one.

The largest campground with the best jams are what is called Sewerfest because the camping area is next to the sewer plant. It is a very popular place to camp in spite of some odor on rare occasions. I haven't camped there my self.

Once you are on the festival site everything is great, leaving at the end of the day can be a nuisance because everyone leaves at the same time.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
OMG Didn't know that Merlefest was so big!! Scratch that one off our possible list. Best one for us is where there is only one, possibly two stages...

You don't know what you are missing. With all the stages the choices of styles and performers is almost endless. Everything is close together on a small college campus. Some stages are inside but most are outside.

In the main area the Watson stage and Cabin stage are side by side so the performances never have a break between. While one act is performing the next act is getting set up on the other stage. As soon as one is done the performers on the other stage are introduced and begin.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Beemerphile1: PERFECT! Thanks so much. Exactly what I was looking for.

Veebes: We love the ones where you wander through the RV parking area listening to sessions at many of the rigs. As said earlier, many are as good as what was on stage. Pickin in Parsons (WV) was our favorite. Doyle Lawson's in Denton NC is almost a tie. Each had about 300-400 rigs present.
Hickory, NC

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
OMG Didn't know that Merlefest was so big!! Scratch that one off our possible list. Best one for us is where there is only one, possibly two stages.

One of the best ever was the Kiss My Grass Swamp Grass Bluegrass Festival in S Georgia. We were parked less than 30 seconds walk from viewing area.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The onsite camping is nothing but a parking lot dry camping and ridiculously expensive.

We camped at the North Wilkesboro fire department/Rotary campground. We had electric but it looks like they only have nonelectric sites left for 2018. We had a great time, the price was good, firewood was free with a $4 rental of a burn barrel. They had vans for shuttle service to and from the festival.

You do NOT want to drive to the festival. Parking is expensive and then you are shuttled from the parking to the festival and back to the parking. In the evening the parking lot shuttle lines are over an hour to leave the festival grounds. Stay at a campground that operates their own shuttles included with camping. Your waits will be shorter with the campground shuttles.

You are allowed to bring in food and water. We went in the morning and stayed all day. Each of us carried a folding chair and a backpack with food, rain gear, and layers for cold weather.

After being there, I decided that next time we will pay for reserved seating at the Watson/cabin stages. The two stages are side by side so the seating works for both.

Since it is a bit of a project to get in and out of the festival grounds, you need to be prepared for all kinds of weather.

Thirteen stages makes for constant entertainment all day every day. Don't miss the Album Hour at the Hillside stage with the Waybacks. You need to get there early because it is very popular and is on the side of a very steep hill. They keep the information about the album they are covering secret. When we were there the album was "Are You Experienced?" by Jimi Hendrix.

It is a huge, well run and well organized festival.

Feel free to ask questions.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Belgique wrote:
Terryallan: Thanks. Yes there are CGs near the venue. I was looking for info from someone who has done it for tips on which one is most convenient etc. We attend a lot of Bluegrass festivals and have found that there are things we didn't know about that would have made it even better.

While I have never done Merlefest. I did help run sound at a HUGE 4 day Bluegrass festival near Mocksville. IF you can stay on site, it would be GREAT. Many of the band members walk from site to site picking, ALL night long. It is a never ending show. Seems Grassy people just can't get enough. It was a blast, although after sitting behind the console, and helping setup all the bands. I was ready for sleep after the last group.

Sound guy eh? John Holder is my wife's 1st Cousin. Mocksville sounds like Denton, one of our favorites.

Thousand Trails
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
We never miss a bluegrass festival either. Have not done Merlefest but if there is camping onsite that is the way to go. The best music is after the stages shut down.

So well said. Thats why we liked Denton and, especially, Parsons in WV.
Hickory, NC

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We never miss a bluegrass festival either. Have not done Merlefest but if there is camping onsite that is the way to go. The best music is after the stages shut down.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Belgique wrote:
Terryallan: Thanks. Yes there are CGs near the venue. I was looking for info from someone who has done it for tips on which one is most convenient etc. We attend a lot of Bluegrass festivals and have found that there are things we didn't know about that would have made it even better.

While I have never done Merlefest. I did help run sound at a HUGE 4 day Bluegrass festival near Mocksville. IF you can stay on site, it would be GREAT. Many of the band members walk from site to site picking, ALL night long. It is a never ending show. Seems Grassy people just can't get enough. It was a blast, although after sitting behind the console, and helping setup all the bands. I was ready for sleep after the last group.

Sound guy eh? John Holder is my wife's 1st Cousin. Mocksville sounds like Denton, one of our favorites.
Hickory, NC

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Belgique wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Hickory, NC

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could try The Wilksborough fire Dept Campground. Or Bandits Roost.

And Usace CG. There is hidinite, and Love Valley CGs. but you may as well drive from hickory for them. You could also check and see if there is camping at the venue
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers