Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you guys look for RV Parks?

CrystalRVTX
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

just seeing how much people go on about looking for an RV Park? I'm not advertising my park or anything, just seeing the best way to market.

I'm assuming most people just google it? Or do other people use facebook and/or yelp(yahoo??).

Do you guys look at billboards with RV Park ads or is it mainly online now?

Edit:
additional question - what is really important when you are staying at an RV park? what are your definite "YES I WANT TO STAY HERE vs NO WAY JOSE!" criteria?

Thanks in advanced!
-AK
51 REPLIES 51

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I mostly use the interstate exit signs when on the interstates as we do not make reservations. I also use the Good Sam book, or the KOA book. We do not set a distance for each day nor a start and finish time. The places we have traveled for the last 17 years have been to the same places on the same roads so we know what is where.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Much of the time I stay in state (or provincial) parks, so the state's own web pages and guide books are probably my most used resources.

I've also used Woodalls, Google maps, and some plain old word-of-mouth.

In Alaska and northern Canada, I relied quite heavily on Church's excellent guidebook. One good thing about it is that it's quite thorough and seemed to include every campground in the area it covers. I'm assuming that's not applicable to the original poster's campground since they don't seem to be anywhere near Alaska.

I would pay very little attention to billboards, and probably even less to Google ad-words ads, when looking for a campground. I do pay some attention to the campground web sites, and in particular like to see the rates listed there...as well as some good information on how to actually get to the campground. It's getting better, but I'm still amazed how some businesses or organizations put together a web site and don't have basic information such as what state they're in, what their street address is, what hours they're open...the sorts of things that people looking them up online might want to know.

In a private campground, I like having some separation between sites, having a price that's not outrageous (partly depending on the amenities offered, of course), and generally having a decently neat appearance. Approximately level sites are very nice. A decent showerhouse is a big plus, and a good laundry room is very nice on as well. I very much appreciate it when the dump station doesn't slope away to the right when one is positioned to dump, which seems to be oddly common. If there are sewer hookups in the sites, a dump station is of course less necessary. If firewood is for sale, I prefer it to be not too expensive and especially to be dry enough to actually catch fire and burn.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Same as above.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
During planning

Step 1: Trusty old MS Streets & Trips for general area.

Step 2: RV Park reviews.com

Step 3: Allstays

Step 4: RV parky

Step 5: Tripadvisor

Not all steps are followed. More like if one fails, go to next. Seldom need to go past step 3.

On the road & winging it without phone coverage, which is rare, billboard.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
I reviewed the thread and where items might be construed as marginal, I edited the entries to ensure that the thread stayed well within the forum rules. I will take the OP at face value that they are truly looking for input from us to help them in their quest to improve our experience while staying with them. I'll continue to monitor the thread and make judgement calls as things progress.

I'll now "change hats" and offer my own opinion as to where I stop for the night or for several days.

Keep in mind that I do not work for Camping World, Good Sam, nor any of their affiliates. Just as all the other moderators and admin, I am a volunteer RV enthusiast who moderates this area and tent camping in my copious spare time so please take the following as my own opinion and not that of the hosts of this forum.

I use the Good Sam mobile app, Woodalls Guide, and the ratings system that they have to start my selection process. I then go to the web site and check out the rates and amenities.

So far, the number of not so good experiences has been less than two hands over the past 15 years of RVing. There have been cases where I've passed up otherwise really nice parks when I've driven by them, and in some cases stayed at a park that, as far as I was concerned, falsely advertised.

I occasionally used "yelp" to check out parks, though the information there is very sparse as it is not really set up for RVers.

I've not used RV Park Review, so it's something that I'll need to check out.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
In your area and market, long termers appear to be the norm. That means construction workers( as I used to be) If that is your business model, hiway signage and the like is a waste, contact with the unions like mine 'UA' may be a way to go. Construction workers wont care about fancy amenities unless they are geared towards the family at 'home' while he works.
When I was in the trade, we found camps by word of mouth or at the union hall.
You do yourself disservice by trying to fill your camp with cheap rates. Never do you want to be the cheapest place, that is for the dump that attracts schoolies and that ilk, will chase away higher quality folk. Pay no attention to the reviewers who only seek out deeply discounted camps. Thats not your model.
Access points for wifi do not matter unless you also have the bandwidth to carry the load. This is NUMERO UNO! for travelers and residents alike today.
If you feel you are in a location to attract short term, ie overnight or weekly travelers, then you have to approach it a lot differently. You will need pull throughs, a dump station, propane dispenser, laundry, etc. all in the premium area of the camp, not the dumpster area.
Now that we travel a lot for recreation, not for work, word of mouth is still tops, but when we lack that we use the Good Sam Travel Guide, back it up with rvparkreviews, facebook and google earth. Even our GS Magellan GPS knows every camp in the book just ahead. For an overnight it will show us all forms of camps, wallys, anything.
Never been surprised when using those tools. They are at everyones fingertips, even when on the road an hour away.
Work on google. facebook. our 8356 likes for our 99 site camp tells a lot. watch tripadvisor, rvparkreviews, use their comment features to refute or thank the review.
Engage a consultant if you are not experienced rvers yourselves to maximise your camp. I can recommend some.. Beyond a doubt concencus amongst travelers is space. And they will pay more for it.
You are asking the choir here, not the congregation.
I agree whole heartedly with everything SD said, except for the part about responding to reviews. While a thank you for each response is nice, it will put you in a position where you must respond to any negative reviews or it will look like you just cherry pick.
I don't believe in responding to bad reviews, and there is plenty of professional research to back me up. It is a situation you cannot win. You either have to confirm the information or call the reviewer a liar. Neither of those two options are good. Yes, there are times you could explain the reasoning behind a policy or action, but again, what do you do when it is really just an unjustified rant? It's too easy for responses to negative reviews to come off as either an empty bobblehead response of "yea, yea, yea. I am saying I hear you, but I am really ignoring you" or confrontational.
Pretty much everyone on planet earth has come to the understanding that nearly every business will have an unhappy customer or two, and those businesses will have a few bad reviews. It is just par for the course. Don't extend the reach of those few idiots by prolonging the conversation. Run a good business, and the reviews will take care of themselves

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
In your area and market, long termers appear to be the norm. That means construction workers( as I used to be) If that is your business model, hiway signage and the like is a waste, contact with the unions like mine 'UA' may be a way to go. Construction workers wont care about fancy amenities unless they are geared towards the family at 'home' while he works.
When I was in the trade, we found camps by word of mouth or at the union hall.
You do yourself disservice by trying to fill your camp with cheap rates. Never do you want to be the cheapest place, that is for the dump that attracts schoolies and that ilk, will chase away higher quality folk. Pay no attention to the reviewers who only seek out deeply discounted camps. Thats not your model.
Access points for wifi do not matter unless you also have the bandwidth to carry the load. This is NUMERO UNO! for travelers and residents alike today.
If you feel you are in a location to attract short term, ie overnight or weekly travelers, then you have to approach it a lot differently. You will need pull throughs, a dump station, propane dispenser, laundry, etc. all in the premium area of the camp, not the dumpster area.
Now that we travel a lot for recreation, not for work, word of mouth is still tops, but when we lack that we use the Good Sam Travel Guide, back it up with rvparkreviews, facebook and google earth. Even our GS Magellan GPS knows every camp in the book just ahead. For an overnight it will show us all forms of camps, wallys, anything.
Never been surprised when using those tools. They are at everyones fingertips, even when on the road an hour away.
Work on google. facebook. our 8356 likes for our 99 site camp tells a lot. watch tripadvisor, rvparkreviews, use their comment features to refute or thank the review.
Engage a consultant if you are not experienced rvers yourselves to maximise your camp. I can recommend some.. Beyond a doubt concencus amongst travelers is space. And they will pay more for it.
You are asking the choir here, not the congregation.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
CrystalRVTX wrote:
Wow, thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses!

We've been advertising on google but the different sites are a good way to branch out! Park next door is pretty full even though our rates are half of theirs and not to mention we have pretty fast wifi.

I guess, what is really important when you are staying at an RV park? what are your definite "YES I WANT TO STAY HERE vs NO WAY JOSE!" criteria?

Well Crystal, We are sure the odd man out here, but I am sure that we also can help.

Most RVers are not looking at billboards. If you have a modest ones 15~30 minutes out, that will get you all the incidental business that might happen.

Advertising on google has got to be rough, it might do some good. My BIL and I are the only people we know that travel as spur of the moment as we do. We used to travel with Woodalls open on the navigator's lap. Now it is internet and we work the sites that have already been listed. We like RV Park reviews most and find it most often correct. There are so many internet sites, you really would not be wasting you time to make sure that you are listed on all you can find.

Another place to work would be organisations. Any of the type specific is a good start. Think you can't manage an Airstream gathering? Then contact the nearest Tin Can Tourist chapter. Most will want a club house to have a meal or meeting, but a pool, not so much. We are a GMCers, and they rarely stop at campgrounds at all, but we do frequently return to those where there was a rally. As said, "Because then we know what to expect."

Do you have a friend that owns and RV? Find out if he knows about and reads one of the mentioned sites. Offer him a free week and make sure he has a good time.

Well, I wish you good fortune. Being any kind of a business owner is a lot more work than most people know. You can't make everybody happy, but if someone is not, listen to them.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
CrystalRVTX wrote:
Hello all,

just seeing how much people go on about looking for an RV Park? I'm not advertising my park or anything, just seeing the best way to market.

I'm assuming most people just google it? Or do other people use facebook and/or yelp(yahoo??).

Do you guys look at billboards with RV Park ads or is it mainly online now?

Edit:
additional question - what is really important when you are staying at an RV park? what are your definite "YES I WANT TO STAY HERE vs NO WAY JOSE!" criteria?

Thanks in advanced!
-AK

I use the Military web sites for their CG's. I use Good Sams and then Google maps and other websites that could be of use. If I don't like the layout or if there are no concrete or Asphalt pads or sites, I don't even consider it. It's very rare that I stay at Camp sites that don't have Length and age restrictions and that are not for Class A only, unless it's military or I'm just passing through (1 night), sorry I'm a disabled vet and need order and organization, I have very low tolerance for Rif Raf and if as a neighbor you infringe in any way upon my rights and disobey the CG rules, I can lose it very quickly, basically just obey the CG rules, know how to hold your liquor and we'll be ok.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
When on the road, RVParky, look at their reviews, then google to the website. Look at pics of park, directions/map, and amenities, then price.

No facebook on phone.

No sign-in sites on phone.

A website with map, prices, and phone number being prominent, with a nice aerial view is much appreciated when on the road. Good cell coverage is important (planning activities, restaurants, etc), we make our own wifi.

When trip planning from home, website, reviews, proximity to attractions, pics, personal touches that show pride in cleanliness (especially bathrooms!), and reasonably long sites with room for awning, slides, etc. Ice for a fair price is a very good amenity.

IMHO, clean and functional bathrooms and showers are one of the top items when we are staying on the road. I don't want to add steam and moisture to our camper if we don't need to, but don't want messy, not hot, or long lines at showers.

Hope this helps and thanks for asking! Good to see someone asking their market customers what they want. Shame to spend on items not important to customers and miss others.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm not advertising my park or anything, just seeing the best way to market.

And you'all just got sucked in to trollsville!

Irregardless of the disclaimer in post (which actually just brings more attention to the fact it is an advertising post}. How many of you clicked on his website listed on his profile?

just joined 11/15/2017
link to his website on profile

He's not asking for how we look for CG's, he just got a free advertising ad for his CG to over 7,000 readers on RVnet forum. This is a very common trick. don't list the link on the post, put the link in the profile and you don't get caught for violating forum rules. :R
He was pretty clear on his purpose. I don't see any hint he was trying to advertise here, he was getting input into where and how to advertise in general. These forums would be the worst place imaginable to advertise a park. In two days this thread is completely forgotten, and so too would any "advertisement". If he has a good park, it would be an advantage to all 7000 members if he can figure out how to get the word out. If it is a bad park, that too will come home to roost and eventually that information would become valuable to that same 7000.
And with some 9 million RVs on the road, targeting any national media with only 7000 potential impressions is a total waste of time and effort. 7000 RVers currently in a 100 mile radius, maybe. All spread out across the country, no way. And these forums actually have an international reach, so it is slightly even worse from a marketing point of view for an individual RV park.

Besides, of the 7000 RV.Net subscribers, how many are likely to ever be in Baytown, Texas? I know it is highly unlikely, if not absolutely impossible, that I will ever be there or anywhere near there.
The same goes for westernrvparkowner. I know he is supposedly in Montana, but I do not know where. It really does not matter, because I can count the Montana RV parks I am likely to use on one hand. There is one in Deer Lodge, one between Kalispell and Columbia Falls on LaSalle Road, and one on Highway 2 sixteen miles West of East Glacier (that is where the Glacier Waterton hamfest is held, so I stay there for 3 or 4 days every year). Most of the time, I am either at the Malmstrom AFB Famcamp or in USFS campgrounds.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

CrystalRVTX
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
I do some on line research when going to a new area reading reviews. I make a list in priority of reviews. When we were young we just winged it. After spending a night in a parking lot and another in a park right next to a fast food drive through, you want fries with that? , we learned to plan ahead

Really? I didn't even put the full park name nor did I put it in my signature. Who pushed you off the wrong side of the bed? I'm just an honest guy looking for opinions. I don't own an RV yet but am interested to see how RVers think.

I'm sorry if I have done something to offend you, but please move on.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Irregardless of the disclaimer in post (which actually just brings more attention to the fact it is an advertising post}. How many of you clicked on his website listed on his profile?

just joined 11/15/2017

He's not asking for how we look for CG's, he just got a free advertising ad for his CG to over 7,000 readers on RVnet forum. This is a very common trick. don't list the link on the post, put the link in the profile and you don't get caught for violating forum rules. :R
He was pretty clear on his purpose. I don't see any hint he was trying to advertise here, he was getting input into where and how to advertise in general. These forums would be the worst place imaginable to advertise a park. In two days this thread is completely forgotten, and so too would any "advertisement". If he has a good park, it would be an advantage to all 7000 members if he can figure out how to get the word out. If it is a bad park, that too will come home to roost and eventually that information would become valuable to that same 7000.
And with some 9 million RVs on the road, targeting any national media with only 7000 potential impressions is a total waste of time and effort. 7000 RVers currently in a 100 mile radius, maybe. All spread out across the country, no way. And these forums actually have an international reach, so it is slightly even worse from a marketing point of view for an individual RV park.

I have to agree. He asked a legitimate question of what people look for in a park and how they find one, and has received a lot of good information.

I am fairly new to RV'ing but have spent a lot of time on Google Maps studying places to go and places to stay. I am basically a National Park/Forest Service/COE type of camper, and look first for National, then State, then City or County parks. Private parks come last for me, but I still research them as a just in case for the areas I am looking to visit.

I like National and state parks for the spacing between sites, and the (generally) decent to real nice restrooms and showers. I have everything I need in my motor home, but try to stretch things out (water and tank dumps) and if the shower house is nice, I'd rather take a nice hot regular shower as opposed to a "navy" shower in my motor home.

Biggest things I would be looking for in a private park is a little space between sites, at least enough for awnings and slides to not intrude on the next guy, and few or no long term or permanent residents. I fully understand having long term residents who are professionals, architects, engineers, project managers, traveling revival preachers, folks like that, but having a park full of day laborers and Wal-Mart night stock clerks living there is not my cup of tea, as sites get trashy real quick.

To me, a private RV park or "resort" is not a destination, its simply a safe, comfortable place to park to allow me to visit attractions in the surrounding area.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

just joined 11/15/2017