cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rain noise...Alpenlites are so loud...

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in this rig for 10 years and people keep saying they don't feel like the rain is that loud in their rigs and I've started experiencing it inside other rigs an it's not bad at all. During moderate to heavy rain it's so loud it feels like hail and I can almost not hear the tv. During a heavy downpour I can't get the tv loud enough to hear it over it. I actually cover my ears when it's that heavy because it's like an attack. I experienced sheets of rain coming down in a friend's rig yesterday and couldn't believe how nice it sounded inside. Is there any kind of coating I can put on the roof to deaden it a bit?

One thing I've noticed is that my roof is very hard compared to others (rubber roof). Others have some softness to them when you walk on them. I have custom molded silicone earplugs and can't hear my fingers snap with them in but the rain is so loud that it will even wake me up with those in sometimes. I'm sitting still for a while now and on the Oregon coast so I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to take the edge off. It's all over, not just slides or skylights/vents. Someone came over today when it was raining pretty gently and said, "Oh, that is loud."
23 REPLIES 23

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite childhood memory is having a quiet bedroom.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I absolutely LOVE lying in bed listening to the rain on the RV rooftop! It reminds me of when I was about 5 years old, lying in my grandparents' bed with a corn husk mattress and feather quilt on a COLD winter night, warm and snug as a bug in a rug. The bed was directly under a tin roof with no ceiling in between and no insulation. When it rained/sleeted, it was LOUD. That is a favorite childhood memory.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy cheap idea. When rain is anticipated throw a decent tarp over the roof and the noise should virtually go away.
But don't use the cheap blue stuff that has a crinkly texture. I like the Sunshield tarps with black on one side and white on the other. Do a Google search for `Sunshield'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had to replace our exhaust fan covers. The new ones are not nearly as thick as the original ones and we notice a lot more noise thru them from rain, birds noises, everything. We now stuff sofa pillows in them when it rains and it's nice and quiet again. It makes a lot of difference.

MrWizard
cannesdo wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
This is not a joke

Home Depot , Henry's elastomeric white roof coating #587
$25 gal
Buy 10 gallons
Apply one gal dry for two days, apply the next gal
Use all ten gallons

If the air is dry and the day is warm, you might be able to do the first couple with out the extra dry time

Build up a nice thick layer over the roof
This should help the noise

With a thick layer this coating gets cushy feeling, and will deaden the sound
It's labor and time intensive, but is possibly the least expensive option, and a good one

SUHHHHHWEET! Thanks so much!

roll it easy or brush it, NO hard pressure, you want it fluffy and cushy not flatten like asphalt
and if deemed it necessary, you add extra coats/gallons
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
If you think your trailer is loud, spend a night in light rain in my cargo trailer with a galvanized roof and minimal insulation. Light rain is noisy, heavy rain is almost deafening
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
This is not a joke

Home Depot , Henry's elastomeric white roof coating #587
$25 gal
Buy 10 gallons
Apply one gal dry for two days, apply the next gal
Use all ten gallons

If the air is dry and the day is warm, you might be able to do the first couple with out the extra dry time

Build up a nice thick layer over the roof
This should help the noise

With a thick layer this coating gets cushy feeling, and will deaden the sound
It's labor and time intensive, but is possibly the least expensive option, and a good one

SUHHHHHWEET! Thanks so much!

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
If you can afford it (probably around $5000) I would take a look at RV Armor. It is a sprayed on polyurea coating that is 3/16 inch(187 mils) thick and should provide excellent sound deadening qualities.

Here is another but this one comes to your location to do the work. The cost may be about the same and the application method is different. This one is rolled on and not sprayed.

I have also read about, but have not actually seen any, rigs that have had truck bedliner material sprayed onto their roofs. That may or may not be a cheaper solution than the one above.

Regardless of the product or method, I think the solution to your problem is going to be a sprayed, brushed, or painted on roof coating to help reduce the sound of the rain.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Barney

Thanks! That rings right with me. I'll bet I can find a soundproofing product that rolls on that I can do myself. Any improvement would be great. I'll do some research and report back about what I find out.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
We had a Flagstaff with EPS foam insulation in the roof & it was pretty noisy when it rained. Our current one has fiberglass insulation & it doesn't get noisy even in a heavy downpour. Both had similar membrane roof over plywood.

Ah, yes, that's what I have, the EPS. That explains it. I wonder if I could add a liner inside. I hate the swirly paper finish on the ceiling anyway. I'll probably get headphones for the tv during the storms. I love light rain but wind-driven rain isn't much fun. It's like being assaulted and some days it goes on for hours.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
If your rubber roof is hard, that is not normal. I suspect your roof material is brittle and ready to fail. Have it inspected by someone knowledgable, and then be prepared to replace it.

It's in great shape. I've taken great care of it. It's been this way since I got it. The rubber itself is not rock hard but you can put two large people on it without any feeling of bowing or weakness in the roof. It's solid.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s all in the construction of the roof. Know a couple who went from a Winnebago to a Monaco product. The Monaco is very quiet and the Winnebago is very loud. They missed hearing the rain. I went from a noisey Winnebago, 4 different ones over the years, to a quiet newmar product. I didnโ€™t miss the sound at all. The rain hitting the Winnebago roof could be so loud it โ€œdrownedโ€ out the TV.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Rthomas61
Explorer
Explorer
Rain is a GOOD thing. Rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, whiskey makes my baby...pass out
Bob
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0 V8
2013 KZ Sportsmen 280BH Show Stopper

Bigg_Al
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I like rain noise myself. Makes me sleepy.

I like Scotch and the way it makes me feel. Makes me not care about the Rain noise and it makes me sleepy after 3 or 4 of them. :B:Z
Tow Vehicle:
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins Diesel

Race Car:
Pro Mod 1969 Chevelle
Jerry Bickel Chassis
525ci BAE Hemi Twin Turbocharged
3 Speed Lenco Transmission
Best E.T. 5.62 seconds at 265 mph

Take me to your Golf Course!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I like rain noise myself. Makes me sleepy.
We're happy for you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman