cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East coast fuel stop questions.....

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Our first real trip south in the MH (34') coming up this weekend, It looks like fuel stops at:

Flying J - Frystown PA exit 10 off rt78
Flying J - Ruthers Glen, VA exit 104 off rt 95

Any experience at these stops that you could share is appreciated

What say you??
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
35 REPLIES 35

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear and thanks for stopping back with the update. If you think that Flying Js stink, try the diesel lanes 😞
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear and thanks for stopping back with the update.
Jerry & Jeanne

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Trip is over and had no issue with "non-Flying J" fuel stops. I will say that from my one experience Flying J/Pilot are off my stop list. They flat out stink....poor signage, no RV GAS lane that I could find, and obvious parking for anything other than a semi or car is non-existent.

I was definitely over-thinking the size issue, I just had to back down and swing wide to get out a couple of times

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Just use the truck (semi) lanes for fuel and take the guess work out of the what if's and cars.

x2, but sometimes the truck stops can get pretty backed up. We use the iexit app as well as the next exit book. You can't go wrong with either. You can often find an rv friendly smaller truck stop near one of the big guys. The problem with using most truck lanes is that you can't pay at the pump.

And PA fuel has gone way up...and their roads are horrible. Too bad we couldn't move them out of the way....??

Edit; I now get the feeling that you have a gasser. If that is the case, canopy heights will be a big issue for you. Truck lanes at truck stops are diesel only. Try the "next exit" book. It lists rv friendly gas and diesel stops. Always know your height and the canopy height. If there is no height posted on the canopy it is PROBABLY okay. Flying J rv islands have gas pumps as well as diesel. All depends on your jeight...I need 13'6, but you may be lower and may have better luck. I see a lot of canopies at 13'2 and 13'4...
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
When I was starting out I was fretting about getting my 28' gasser into and out of stations and a wise RVer reminded me that gas is delivered via a semi every week of the year at every station in the country. He had some derogatory comments about the abilities of fuel truck drivers which I don't agree with, but he got the point across.

BUT semi tanker trailers are nowhere's near as tall as a RV, so yes they can get in/out w/ relative ease. As for my comment about using the semi lanes, was assuming OP was talking about or had a diesel engine.

11 years, over 1500 nights on the road, many more off highway gas stations used than truck stops in every single state & I am yet to come across a canopy where I have had an issue with my near 13' height.

Now, as far as fuel availability goes, along an eastern interstate you can hardly go 10 miles without coming across a very easy in & out truck stop. They are everywhere.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
When I was starting out I was fretting about getting my 28' gasser into and out of stations and a wise RVer reminded me that gas is delivered via a semi every week of the year at every station in the country. He had some derogatory comments about the abilities of fuel truck drivers which I don't agree with, but he got the point across.

BUT semi tanker trailers are nowhere's near as tall as a RV, so yes they can get in/out w/ relative ease. As for my comment about using the semi lanes, was assuming OP was talking about or had a diesel engine.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are you pulling? A freight car? Most any fuel station near an intersection of any highway of any size is doable. The problem is often quickly determining where the diesel pump is.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
I go to google maps and look at stops in satellite view and street view.

Tried that but I don't know enough about the layout of travel centers yet for it to do any good:o

I also do just what TyroneandGladys suggest, looking over just about every fuel or comfort stop ahead of time when I plan my routes. Fortunately, my trip planner, Garmin's BaseCamp, can call up Google Earth directly from the program to show me what I am looking at on the BaseCamp screen.

You are correct, however. Experience helps in translating the image you are able to obtain from satellite imagery and ground level Google camera pictures to what you will face in reality. Just as experience helps in many other aspects of RVing!
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Just use the truck (semi) lanes for fuel and take the guess work out of the what if's and cars.

All that I have seen is diesel at these lanes so far but that is just local, I am sure the travel centers have more available

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Point taken but keep in mind those tankers do not pull up to the fuel islands. They can also back up with out unhooking a tow car. And steep approaches that will scrape the back end of a RV or even hang one up are no problems for tankers.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Blutoyz wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:

Tried that but I don't know enough about the layout of travel centers yet for it to do any good:o

BAD notice that when you fuel you are facing the store and there is very little room to make a turn when you exit.

Main fuel area is facing the store BAD
but notice the RV fueling lanes horizontal to the road GOOD

Good
Lanes are horizontal to store and you would want to go the lane closest to the store.

When you go to street view you also want to look at the approach to the station and make sure it is not steep

Any questions PM me

I really appreciate the time you take to help here, it is easy to forget how useful technology is

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Blutoyz wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:

BAD notice that when you fuel you are facing the store and there is very little room to make a turn when you exit.

Main fuel area is facing the store BAD
but notice the RV fueling lanes horizontal to the road GOOD

Good
Lanes are horizontal to store and you would want to go the lane closest to the store.

When you go to street view you also want to look at the approach to the station and make sure it is not steep

Any questions PM me
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen