cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait for delivery

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
I just signed papers on 2018 Reflection 5th wheel and it’s one they have on the lot. I delivered the check to them and now they tell me it will take another week before they ewill have it ready for the PDI. Is it normal to take another week after final closing to pick up your unit? I do not live near the dealer. We have already made two round trip journeys to get the deal done 3 hours each trip. They actually wanted to put it off another five days.
The sales and finance departments did a great job and we were very pleased with them. Service department is beginning to tarnish the experience.
We are camped out in the trade in no where near our home base but that doesn’t seem to phase them.
Is this normal? Or am I being unreasonable in my expectations?
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet
26 REPLIES 26

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our 5th wheel we put 1k down with the option that if we didn't like what we saw during the PDI to have that money refunded which was put in writing.

We were not ask for any money till we did our PDI which took over 4 hours, we only found two minor things wrong at the time an they were fixed before signing any papers the same day ...

I would say not doing a PDI is like gambling with a large about of money, would you lay down forty, fifty, sixty or more dollars on a **** table an roll the dice, your a fool if you do so or just have way to much money an don't care if you loose such ...

You see it all the time on this refectors/forms complaining how bad a product is an all the problems they are having, when ask if they did a PDI they say either no or the sales people stated it was already done ...

Safe travels

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
tbax46 wrote:
I just signed papers on 2018 Reflection 5th wheel and it’s one they have on the lot. I delivered the check to them and now they tell me it will take another week before they ewill have it ready for the PDI. Is it normal to take another week after final closing to pick up your unit? I do not live near the dealer. We have already made two round trip journeys to get the deal done 3 hours each trip. They actually wanted to put it off another five days.
The sales and finance departments did a great job and we were very pleased with them. Service department is beginning to tarnish the experience.
We are camped out in the trade in no where near our home base but that doesn’t seem to phase them.
Is this normal? Or am I being unreasonable in my expectations?

If your full time why not move to a camp ground closer to the dealer? You will have to transfer all your belongs right? Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
Dave HM this also was my thinking and the reason I asked the dealer. They seem to be good people but what I got was it is their policy. They had been burned before on putting money into a coach only to have a customer back out
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
May I missed something here. I have never paid for an RV until I was ready to hitch it to the truck.

Why would one have to pay for a rig that is already setting on the lot and is not ready for sale/use? :h

You shouldn't, (either have to, be asked to, or do it as a general rule )................But there are plenty of dealers out there who will try and get a person to do so. And there are also plenty of the unsuspecting and unknowing who will do so.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
May I missed something here. I have never paid for an RV until I was ready to hitch it to the truck.

Why would one have to pay for a rig that is already setting on the lot and is not ready for sale/use? :h

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“You've given up your bargaining power since the unit is now paid for”

Exactly, fj! X2 Let it flow, let it flow....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:
laknox wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
Dealer must be slow to only be a week out
And make sure to pull the panel behind the water inlet and check everything good. They are known for waterleaks seeing they use waterhose behind the panel

If they bother to actually hook stuff up...or install it in the proper flow direction...

Lyle

(Colonoscopy tomorrow must have kicked the cynic gear into OD...)
Totally understand your focus on proper direction of flow since tomorrow they will very much be going against the flow. Enjoy!;)

ROFLMAO! Thank God the prep hasn't kicked in yet! 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my story and take it for what it worth. We made a deal on a 2017 Reflection 337RLS that they had at another location and we set a delivery date and time. They called a couple of days later with an offer to give me a 2018 if I wanted it for same price and same delivery date. Yes I said. The unit was to roll of the line on Friday the 12th of May. My delivery date to me was 20 May. They said it could and would be done. We show at dealer at date and time, but it had not been touched since they received it the previous Monday. Thier story was that the sales people did tell the service people it was sold and they had 4 days to get it ready. I told them that we were not leaving without it and that everything in it had better work, period. We left with it and have had not one issue other than the axle seal issue that was a problem at that time which was fixed on 5 July. Used it two different times for a total of 12 days. We left 15 Aug. on a two month planned trip of several thousand miles. During that time we had only minor issues with loose screws. We did not do a traditional PDI with the service dept. Good Luck. We are very happy with ours.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I would never pay for a unit until it was in acceptable condition. No other industry operates this way. I don't know why the RV industry thinks you should pay for something that is not in functional condition. The problem of poor quality as received is between the dealer and the mfr, and not my responsibility to fix or pay for.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

tbax46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. Helped put everything in perspective. I guess the dealer is between a rock and hard place
Reflection 337
Silverado 3509HD
USN & 'Nam Vet

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
tbax46 wrote:
Guys thanks for your input. I may not have made myself clear. I fulltime and been so for some time so I’m not in a rush to go out. I appreciate that they are thorough. I just expected them to have done most of this when they took delivery from the manufacturer and not wait until the customer paid for it. Then I would assume they would take a couple of days to double check it after the sale. Their response to me is that is their company policy because they didn’t want to get one ready and then a customer back out. To me that means they won’t guarantee anything until it’s sold, therefor what you We present on our lot isn’t necessarily sound but we’ll check it out after you own it.

Dealers do not put any money into doing anything to a unit till they make momey .. Your PDI is a hidden delivery charge from the factory

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Never give them the cheque before the PDI, now you have no power to get anything done. After they have your money you go to the bottom of the pile it seems.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
tbax46 wrote:
Guys thanks for your input. I may not have made myself clear. I fulltime and been so for some time so I’m not in a rush to go out. I appreciate that they are thorough. I just expected them to have done most of this when they took delivery from the manufacturer and not wait until the customer paid for it. Then I would assume they would take a couple of days to double check it after the sale. Their response to me is that is their company policy because they didn’t want to get one ready and then a customer back out. To me that means they won’t guarantee anything until it’s sold, therefor what you We present on our lot isn’t necessarily sound but we’ll check it out after you own it.

Common practice. The manufacturer will not reimburse the dealer for warranty repairs until the unit is "owned". The dealer does not want to spend dollars until they know their getting reimbursed for the manufacturers shortcomings. With the build issues some of these things leave the factories with, I can see the dealers position.

It's water over the dam, but I too would of never signed the paperwork and provided payment in full until I had done a full inspection on my terms. I thought I had my bases covered when we placed an order for a new trailer in Oct of 2015. All I provided was a $1K deposit to order. When the ordered unit arrived I did a 3 hour inspection myself the same day it arrived, it had more build issues and damage than believable. By the time the dealer had all the repairs needed totaled and approved by the factory the total was close to $5K in factory authorized repairs, before we owned it. Of course the dealer then wanted me to sign and pay for the unit with no guarantees as to how long this process would take. We refused the purchase of that particular unit and requested the return of deposit or to have the factory build another, which was the course of action we ultimately agreed too. The second one built which we purchased was almost perfect, at least comparatively to the first one built. The entire process took almost 7 months. The RV Industry basically sucks.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
Dealer must be slow to only be a week out
And make sure to pull the panel behind the water inlet and check everything good. They are known for waterleaks seeing they use waterhose behind the panel

That was when they used the Kantleak and guess what they did leak. In most cases it was a valve that leaked from what I was reading. They are now using the Nautilus P2 on most units and I haven't seen any problems on Grand Design owners group since.

TO THE OP Depending on the manufacturer date I would check to see if you have Lippert axles or Dexters. If Lippert than have the dealer pull the wheels and check the backing plates for grease. Lippert had quite a problem with the seals leaking grease and it getting on the brakes. Grand Design switched to Dexter axles and I have not seen any cases of this problem since then. We have the Dexter axles on ours.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View