cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dingy Towing

rwcarr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone can help me.I have a 42 ft class a motorhome pulling a 2015 Jeep Cherokee (all four wheel down). When the road is a little rough our a dip on one side of the road and the motorhome dips side to side and then the tow car dips as well and gets out of sink with the motorhome it (the tow car) begins rocking left to right and the only way to correct is to completely stop and begin driving again. This has happened several times on a major interstate highway in heavy traffic with no shoulder to pull over. Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

rwcarr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe someone can help me.I have a 42 ft class a motorhome pulling a 2015 Jeep Cherokee (all four wheel down). When the road is a little rough our a dip on one side of the road and the motorhome dips side to side and then the tow car dips as well and gets out of sink with the motorhome it (the tow car) begins rocking left to right and the only way to correct is to completely stop and begin driving again. This has happened several times on a major interstate highway in heavy traffic with no shoulder to pull over. Any ideas?

The above message is a post I made on 11/15/17. Member rr2254545 from Central Minnesota replied with the following:
This is know problem that has been around since 2014 - there is a fix for it - you need a wiring harness installed - this will power the power steering when towing

From the Jeep owners manual under Recreational Towing

Before towing, see your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit
โ€ข It is recommended to charge the battery of the towed vehicle during recreational towing

rr2254545, I believe you are correct. I can't find a Jeep dealer that has experienced this problem on the Cherokee. They say that it is a problem on the Jeep Wrangler. Then they say that it is probably tires or front end problems. I would love to talk with you about this problem.

Please advise

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Or search for "Cherokee Death Wobble". Lot's of reading and the cause seems to be model year dependent.

Agree - Cherokee death wobble. Mopar has a fix, I believe involving some type of wiring harness installation.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

et2
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
et2 wrote:
There have been thousands of people driving that vehicle and never had that issue, including us. Driven thousand of miles without a issue.

There's a whole list of things that could be the problem. Many of which a lot of people wish to ignore. Including the tow bar.

He has a Cherokee not your Wrangler

Owned the same car. For years. My reading comprehension is just fine. My comment still stands.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Or search for "Cherokee Death Wobble". Lot's of reading and the cause seems to be model year dependent.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Y-Guy
rwcarr wrote:
Maybe someone can help me.I have a 42 ft class a motorhome pulling a 2015 Jeep Cherokee

This is a known issue. You can google "jeep cherokee wobbling" and find many links about this, including videos. But as rr2254545 said there is a fix for this.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
There have been thousands of people driving that vehicle and never had that issue, including us. Driven thousand of miles without a issue.

There's a whole list of things that could be the problem. Many of which a lot of people wish to ignore. Including the tow bar.

He has a Cherokee not your Wrangler
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

et2
Explorer
Explorer

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
rwcarr wrote:
I bought and has installed the whole kit from Blue Ox. BX7445 tow bar and a Blue ox baseplate

tow bar is not the problem
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rwcarr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought and has installed the whole kit from Blue Ox. BX7445 tow bar and a Blue ox baseplate

rwcarr
Explorer
Explorer
I am using a Blue Ox BX7445 Tow Bar

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
rwcarr wrote:

This is know problem that has been around since 2014 - there is a fix for it - you need a wiring harness installed - this will power the power steering when towing

From the Jeep owners manual under Recreational Towing

Before towing, see your authorized dealer for the Mopar flat tow wiring kit
โ€ข It is recommended to charge the battery of the towed vehicle during recreational towing
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what hitch/baseplate/etc. are you using?
bumpy