cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leak in hydraulic line for rear jack

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went to jack up the rear tires today and my hydraulic line sprung a leak where it rubbed against undercarriage. I have the HWH 200 series system and have a Hydraulic diagram from their web site but can't determine how the lines are routed. From the diagram it looks like there are two lines attached to the pump one for pressure and one for return. It looks like there is some sort of junction that feeds the RH and LH jacks both front and rear. I just can't find where these lines attach. Has anyone replaced one of the rear lines and know where to find this junction?
38 REPLIES 38

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I can.
You might trace it back from the genset to the tank.
You could even run straight out of the generator compartment. Just need to plug/cap off line to the tank.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
So can you see and get to the genset line without dropping the tank?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, there is three lines from the top of the tank.
One from the in-tank pump to main engine.
One return line from main engine.
Third line is from the tank, not through the pump to the genset.
I believe they replaced the lines. Someone may have to go under to check for sure.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I believe when the shop here replaced the lines, the genset rubber end was not hidden by the tank. You could just plug it off and start your project line from there.
Not sure what you are describing? Are you saying I don't have to drop the tank to install a new line?I thought the genset line and the engine fuel pump line came from the top of the tank.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I believe when the shop here replaced the lines, the genset rubber end was not hidden by the tank. You could just plug it off and start your project line from there.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My next project is replacing the gas line for the generator I ordered a new pump it will pump from a separate can of gas but not from the main tank. I am not looking forward to dropping the tank and replacing the line. I wish things would settle down.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Good job, Gary!
Maybe things will settle down!
Finish getting my rig fully ready for winter. I still have to do brakes but have to wait for back to finish healing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Line came in 2 days later. The removal of the old line and installation of the new one was relatively easy. It took about a quart and a half of transmission fluid to fill the system. I did not bleed the line just cycled the jacks about 6 times. I split a section garden hose to wrap around hyd line where it crossed over frame members. In general I like this HWH system, it is 21 years old and so far I bought and installed a control board for $100 because I left the window open and it rained in on the board and $67 for the hose which leaked do to chaffing through the outer covering into the steel braid. Both of these failures were preventable. RH front jack sometimes does not retract but spraying it with silicone spray once a year eliminated that problem.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
Excellent. A LOT better than the $200 you were quoted.
Yes, I found out from a friend later that has replaced some hydraulic hoses on backhoes and such that this company was extremely high.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent. A LOT better than the $200 you were quoted.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ordered the new hose from HWH this morning it was $54.65 plus shipping, the would not give me a price for shipping until they placed the order. When the hose blew the MH dropped rather quickly, just something to think about when working under the MH.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
AP is original P/n. RAP is Replacement P/N. Doug
My hoses are all 21 years old and must be original. Thanks for the clarification. The hydraulic shops I called did not that swagging tool. I was able to remove the cable and found two areas where the plastic cover was cracked and pulled away and about a 5 in long area where it was chaffed and worn into the steel braid causing the leak. I checked all the other lines and they looked OK. I think when I put the new line in I will take a section of garden hose and cover the area where the hose goes over the frame.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
Think you may be missing a digit.

Then price from HWH before making a decision.
No, the label up front was clear to read AP2464.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
AP is original P/n. RAP is Replacement P/N. Doug